M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Brand new M850i convertible top has blemishes

07-01-2021, 10:10 PM   #1
KC_Kidney
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Brand new M850i convertible top has blemishes

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Here's a question posed to all vert owners with moonlight black tops. Do you have strange markings on your top that look like this? Dealership is telling me they are creases and so far all of their "experts" agree. I just don't see how it's possible when 1. These pictures were taken before the top was ever put down and 2. Creases are horizontal not U shaped and vertical. I missed them on initial delivery due to accepting the car in the rain. Lesson learned.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 10:15 PM   #2
Josh-PA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2, n55 e88, B58 G05

Might sound crazy, but to me they look like a bug trail from something crawling on it. Try washing and conditioning it with some 303 and a soft brush and see if it improves
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 11:23 PM   #3
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

I have a convertible, and I do not have those crease patterns.
Verts will eventually have crease marks, but I have not seen that on my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 07:56 AM   #4
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Kidney View Post
Here's a question posed to all vert owners with moonlight black tops. Do you have strange markings on your top that look like this? Dealership is telling me they are creases and so far all of their "experts" agree. I just don't see how it's possible when 1. These pictures were taken before the top was ever put down and 2. Creases are horizontal not U shaped and vertical. I missed them on initial delivery due to accepting the car in the rain. Lesson learned.
They are creases. That U shaped one may have formed if the top was retracted wet. (A big no-no). I agree washing and conditioning it will alleviate the issue for a time. After 6.5 years, and many top down jaunts, I have an interesting crease that appears it was scrunched repeatedly.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 09:19 AM   #5
E46ZHP2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020m240ixvert

I have the moonlight and it does have creases. They don't look anything like that. Agree with others to use a cleaner with soft bristle brush. I use the Raggtopp cleaner and brush https://wolfsteins.com/collections/c...ternet-package.

Would like to know if there is a way to get rid of creases. Steam?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 09:27 AM   #6
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46ZHP2 View Post
I have the moonlight and it does have creases. They don't look anything like that. Agree with others to use a cleaner with soft bristle brush. I use the Raggtopp cleaner and brush https://wolfsteins.com/collections/c...ternet-package.

Would like to know if there is a way to get rid of creases. Steam?
Sadly no. Steam and other fixes are a temporary measure. It's just how the tops fold in their space.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 11:47 AM   #7
KC_Kidney
Rep

The car is brand new and top never put down WTF?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 01:05 PM   #8
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
The car is brand new and top never put down WTF?
I agree that it should have creases, but be more concerned with tears or leaks. Oh, and the top has been down a few times before you bought it, but those types of creases should not form this quickly.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 02:50 PM   #9
KC_Kidney
Rep

Okay, latest is the dealership brought in an expert to take a look and the bottom line is the markings are from high powered water hitting the top, i.e. when the dealership had the car detailed and prepped for delivery the hose they used was too strong and made the fibers bend (similar to how suede behaves). The markings are not from the top going down. Okay now I wait to hear what the next steps are to repair it.
Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00
      07-02-2021, 04:30 PM   #10
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Okay, latest is the dealership brought in an expert to take a look and the bottom line is the markings are from high powered water hitting the top, i.e. when the dealership had the car detailed and prepped for delivery the hose they used was too strong and made the fibers bend (similar to how suede behaves). The markings are not from the top going down. Okay now I wait to hear what the next steps are to repair it.
I think you're getting a new top.

hopefully it arrives quickly.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2021, 08:50 PM   #11
KC_Kidney
Rep

Got a call today saying that BMW NA wants to send an engineer to look at my top. Hoping this will turn out well for me but I can't help being skeptical.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2021, 10:03 PM   #12
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Got a call today saying that BMW NA wants to send an engineer to look at my top. Hoping this will turn out well for me but I can't help being skeptical.
High pressure car wash hoses can definitely mess up the cloth on a top. It can abrade the cloth in seconds. I always hold them more than a foot away. Those are not creases, even if your top had been down. Folding creases are in the last section above the rear window, and run across the width of the car. If somebody says they are creases, ask them about that small U-shaped one that is dead center right above your windshield header (above your inside rear view mirror). I'd like to see a top fold there.

Moonlight cloth is odd because it is like black cloth interspersed with silver threads. But when it develops creases, the silver sort of disappears so the fold lines look darker. Anyway, those are for sure not creases, and assuming they are not stains (which they almost certainly are not), that top was delivered damaged and should be replaced. My 2015 moonlight top that has spent a good deal of its life outside has no marks like that. Just the permanent fold marks at the back from being put down.

EDIT: Looking again, that U-shaped mark may be at the rear. Either way, a top does not crease there.
Appreciate 2
      07-06-2021, 10:16 PM   #13
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Also, if they do agree to replace the top, I'd be a bit skeptical of the installation and would want to know who is doing it. Convertible tops on a modern car are ungodly complex in how they are attached. There are straps and rivets and cables and clips galore. Lots of room for shortcuts and "that's good enough". If it were me, I'd raise the top part way to take the tension off the cloth, stretch the headliner away a bit and take lots of pictures of how it attaches so you have a basis for comparison afterwards. That way you can say "why is this elastic strap not riveted to this top bow like before?"
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2021, 10:17 PM   #14
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Quote:
High pressure car wash hoses can definitely mess up the cloth on a top. It can abrade the cloth in seconds. I always hold them more than a foot away. Those are not creases, even if your top had been down. Folding creases are in the last section above the rear window, and run across the width of the car. If somebody says they are creases, ask them about that small U-shaped one that is dead center right above your windshield header (above your inside rear view mirror). I'd like to see a top fold there.

Moonlight cloth is odd because it is like black cloth interspersed with silver threads. But when it develops creases, the silver sort of disappears so the fold lines look darker. Anyway, those are for sure not creases, and assuming they are not stains (which they almost certainly are not), that top was delivered damaged and should be replaced. My 2015 moonlight top that has spent a good deal of its life outside has no marks like that. Just the permanent fold marks at the back from being put down.

EDIT: Looking again, that U-shaped mark may be at the rear. Either way, a top does not crease there.
My 2019 moonlit top is still mint; but it's been in garage. But I agree and I think everyone now confirms it's definitely water damage from high power.
Appreciate 1