M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 Comp Vert Review

09-18-2020, 12:33 AM   #1
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

M8 Comp Vert Review

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/35...hen-its-parked

Don't let the title of the article deceive you...it's not quite what you think.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 09-18-2020 at 01:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
i8you5.00
      09-18-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Can't say I disagree with the reviewer's opinion, these cars are simply too damn fast to actually use and enjoy.
      09-18-2020, 07:23 PM   #3
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Some of my favorite quotes:

If someone at BMW told me that the M8 Competition had 950 horsepower I would actually believe them because this thing is that fast.

If you really wind things out to the 7,000 RPM redline, you'll be doing over 100 mph before needing to shift into third. If you dare shift into third, you'll feel like an earthquake is thrusting the car forward without showing any signs of running out of steam.

Appreciate 4
FBMWWINS603.50
i8you5.00
Ozzie8641.00
LSM1118.00
      09-21-2020, 08:44 PM   #4
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/35...hen-its-parked

Don't let the title of the article deceive you...it's not quite what you think.
Well, you didn't disappoint, RCJ --it wasn't what I expected.

This is technically/objectively incorrect in a few places and subjectively naive most everywhere else--this car has a target market and I think it's fair to say he's not it.

The comments around how hard it is to drive on the street confuse me. The ZF 8-speed is butter in a luxury 5-series along with tons of other non-bimmer luxo-sedans and it feels no different in an M8 when in Comfort mode--the shifts are almost imperceptible.

"Dare to shift into 3rd"--pussy springs to mind. Really, I don't know how else to describe it other than perhaps this was written by my dad... which is far more insulting than "pussy".

I wonder how many of us passionate about cars here has ever said they were scared to shift into 3rd or their car was "too damn fast" (Brigadier General JStein a given exception, Sir! ). Sigh, that's 6 minutes of my life I'll never get back--pinch of salt springs to mind... right after pussy that is but it's in there.

You don't have to input anything before each drive--it defaults to Comfort. If you want something else, setup M1 or M2 as you see fit and never do so again beyond merely touching their counterpart buttons on the steering wheel.

My takeaway is that this guy wanted to review the car and cite some strong opinions... and, for me, he used every trick he could to find some. I'd LOVE to debate his points with him verbally--reminds me of a certain president who needs a fact-check here and there.

He should re-title the article: "This one's not for pussies... like me".

Last edited by limeypride; 09-21-2020 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      09-21-2020, 08:46 PM   #5
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Can't say I disagree with the reviewer's opinion, these cars are simply too damn fast to actually use and enjoy.
Perhaps to you--they're not to me. I use it every single day at every single traffic light... as I've said before.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 08:49 PM   #6
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If someone at BMW told me that the M8 Competition had 950 horsepower I would actually believe them because this thing is that fast.

If you really wind things out to the 7,000 RPM redline, you'll be doing over 100 mph before needing to shift into third. If you dare shift into third, you'll feel like an earthquake is thrusting the car forward without showing any signs of running out of steam.
100mph in second? Hmmm, I believe my engine would be on a re-entry trajectory at that point.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 09:13 PM   #7
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Well, you didn't disappoint, RCJ --it wasn't what I expected.

This is technically/objectively incorrect in a few places and subjectively naive most everywhere else--this car has a target market and I think it's fair to say he's not it.

The comments around how hard it is to drive on the street confuse me. The ZF 8-speed is butter in a luxury 5-series along with tons of other non-bimmer luxo-sedans and it feels no different in an M8 when in Comfort mode--the shifts are almost imperceptible.

"Dare to shift into 3rd"--pussy springs to mind. Really, I don't know how else to describe it other than perhaps this was written by my dad... which is far more insulting than "pussy".

I wonder how many of us passionate about cars here has ever said they were scared to shift into 3rd or their car was "too damn fast" (Brigadier General JStein a given exception, Sir! ). Sigh, that's 6 minutes of my life I'll never get back--pinch of salt springs to mind... right after pussy that is but it's in there.

You don't have to input anything before each drive--it defaults to Comfort. If you want something else, setup M1 or M2 as you see fit and never do so again beyond merely touching their counterpart buttons on the steering wheel.

My takeaway is that this guy wanted to review the car and cite some strong opinions... and, for me, he used every trick he could to find some. I'd LOVE to debate his points with him verbally--reminds me of a certain president who needs a fact-check here and there.

He should re-title the article: "This one's not for pussies... like me".
Some people (not me I might add) have described "pure-M" drivers as dicks. You on the other hand continue to bring forward interesting insights based on real world experience supported by facts.

I think your re-title is spot on. This would match another of Jerry Perez's article titles:

BY JERRY PEREZ
SEP 1, 2020

2020 Mazda3 Hatchback Review: Quite Possibly All The Car You'll Ever Need: Still, we can't blame you if you want to wait for the turbocharged version.

The defense rests.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 09:17 PM   #8
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Some people (not me I might add) have described "pure-M" drivers as dicks. You on the other hand continue to bring forward interesting insights based on real world experience supported by facts.

I think your re-title is spot on. This would match another of Jerry Perez's article titles:

BY JERRY PEREZ
SEP 1, 2020

2020 Mazda3 Hatchback Review: Quite Possibly All The Car You'll Ever Need: Still, we can't blame you if you want to wait for the turbocharged version.

The defense rests.
LMAO

I think there's bias here on my part, of course, but also on the author's part--it's that whole "target market" aspect and he's clearly strayed from the beaten path.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 10:11 PM   #9
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

He also gave the car plenty of kudos however...

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 10:17 PM   #10
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He also gave the car plenty of kudos however...
Hmmm, kinda sorta as I read it. For me, many capabilities I'd list as virtues were painted in a negative light—3rd gear is AWESOME for one.

Just a mismatch of writer and vehicle I think.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 11:21 PM   #11
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm, kinda sorta as I read it. For me, many capabilities I'd list as virtues were painted in a negative light—3rd gear is AWESOME for one.

See post #3

"If someone at BMW told me that the M8 Competition had 950 horsepower I would actually believe them because this thing is that fast".

"If you really wind things out to the 7,000 RPM redline, you'll be doing over 100 mph before needing to shift into third. If you dare shift into third, you'll feel like an earthquake is thrusting the car forward without showing any signs of running out of steam".

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 03:16 AM   #12
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
RJC-1 I agree they are great quotes and there are other redeeming qualities. However the headline...leave it in the garage....sort of undoes everything upfront.

I'm trying to think of an analogy.

Perhaps.....there is a 3 michelin star restaurant you've been dying to visit...the reviews are insane....you finally get a table for you and your lovely for that special anniversary....you get all dolled up....and as you walk from the limo to the restaurant there is a closed sign across the front which reads...."we're closed because the food is too good".
Appreciate 1
limeypride4423.50
      09-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #13
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

See post #3

"If someone at BMW told me that the M8 Competition had 950 horsepower I would actually believe them because this thing is that fast".

"If you really wind things out to the 7,000 RPM redline, you'll be doing over 100 mph before needing to shift into third. If you dare shift into third, you'll feel like an earthquake is thrusting the car forward without showing any signs of running out of steam".
Yup, I'm with you.

I understand the points you're highlighting and I see them as positive accolades (albeit inaccurate through embellishment) but he cites them in a negative light.
Appreciate 0