M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 2022 Frozen bluestone M8

10-04-2021, 04:40 PM   #1
yk7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 M3

2022 Frozen bluestone M8

Hey all, in with my 2022 frozen bluestone competition. Flew down to Miami for the spec and drove back 15 hours to VA. Absolutely love the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 10
xmanpro3055.00
moonM8384.00
MrRX34481.00
'Cane8471.00
c12h231.00
Vic5519222.00
      10-04-2021, 06:51 PM   #2
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M8 Gran Coupe Comp

Get xpel stealth asap while there's no chips.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4423.50
      10-04-2021, 07:35 PM   #3
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmersandmopars View Post
Do this asap. It's worth every penny because you CANNOT repair the chips on frozen paint. Believe me, I tried.

All that's left then is new paddles, lowering springs, spacers or new wheels, larger tires, ceramic coating, coding and a tune… et voila!
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2021, 10:24 PM   #4
yk7
Private
Rep

Quote:
As soon as i got back to VA, i got it done wt xpel stealth. Fully protected. 😊
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      10-04-2021, 10:28 PM   #5
moonM8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M8GC, 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yk7 View Post
Hey all, in with my 2022 frozen bluestone competition. Flew down to Miami for the spec and drove back 15 hours to VA. Absolutely love the car.
Beautiful car! Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 10:37 PM   #6
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Do this asap. It's worth every penny because you CANNOT repair the chips on frozen paint. Believe me, I tried.

All that's left then is new paddles, lowering springs, spacers or new wheels, larger tires, ceramic coating, coding and a tune… et voila!
My front bumper fell victim already. Getting a new one sprayed then replaced and xpel'd. Frozen paint is nice.... til its not.
Appreciate 2
limeypride4423.50
      10-04-2021, 11:16 PM   #7
yk7
Private
Rep

Quote:
My front bumper fell victim already. Getting a new one sprayed then replaced and xpel'd. Frozen paint is nice.... til its not.
oh man already!? haha i feel u on that.
Yeah wheels and a drop next. And tune for sure!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 11:17 PM   #8
yk7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonM8 View Post
Beautiful car! Congrats!
Thanks a lot 🙏🏽
Appreciate 1
moonM8384.00
      10-13-2021, 05:10 PM   #9
karlbork
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I saw that car at Braman and almost bought it! Beautiful.
I am ordering a frozen bluestone convertible from the factory, but it is delayed due to the supply chain issues.
After reading this I am worried about protecting the paint. Do I really need to get the XPEL Stealth wrap for it? How much did that cost?

I like how the frozen bluestone paint looks without it, matte but still a little shiny. Will the wrap make it look worse, less shiny or something?
If the wrap makes it more matte, why did I pay an extra $5k for the matte paint, I could have gotten a normal shiny paint and wrapped it to make it matte, right?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 06:30 PM   #10
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlbork View Post
I am ordering a frozen bluestone convertible from the factory, but it is delayed due to the supply chain issues.
After reading this I am worried about protecting the paint. Do I really need to get the XPEL Stealth wrap for it? How much did that cost?

I like how the frozen bluestone paint looks without it, matte but still a little shiny. Will the wrap make it look worse, less shiny or something?
If the wrap makes it more matte, why did I pay an extra $5k for the matte paint, I could have gotten a normal shiny paint and wrapped it to make it matte, right?
I think you're misunderstanding a little. If you order factory frozen (which I don't recommend having had it myself), you'd then wrap the car in a completely transparent wrap to preserve that original, desirable look. And you absolutely must wrap the frozen paint since it is 1) more fragile and 2) paint damage cannot be repaired for any reasonable or unreasonable price in my personal experience. In this scenario, you've now paid $5,000 or so for the factory paint and another $5,000+ for the wrap

Given that, order Bluestone Metallic and then wrap that in Xpel Stealth to both protect and freeze it one fell swoop. This is exactly what I did.

Frozen and matte are being used interchangeably in most of the threads I've participated in although the sticklers will probably point out that there are 20+ permutations of matte, frozen, metallic, satin, gloss, pearlescent, etc.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 07:47 PM   #11
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think you're misunderstanding a little. If you order factory frozen (which I don't recommend having had it myself), you'd then wrap the car in a completely transparent wrap to preserve that original, desirable look. And you absolutely must wrap the frozen paint since it is 1) more fragile and 2) paint damage cannot be repaired for any reasonable or unreasonable price in my personal experience. In this scenario, you've now paid $5,000 or so for the factory paint and another $5,000+ for the wrap

Given that, order Bluestone Metallic and then wrap that in Xpel Stealth to both protect and freeze it one fell swoop. This is exactly what I did.

Frozen and matte are being used interchangeably in most of the threads I've participated in although the sticklers will probably point out that there are 20+ permutations of matte, frozen, metallic, satin, gloss, pearlescent, etc.
I'll second the chips! Stupidly thin paint and honestly think the frozen colors knowing what I know now should include either a disclaimer or their own warranty. Honestly thinking of raising hell with dealer on this as this truly should be a consumer warning type situation.

One of my Roofing customers owns one of the top wrapping shops in Houston and he and I worked a deal and I'm getting my Demon, M8GC(which is frozen bluestone), and X3M in MBB all wrapped in Xpel Stealth.

Appreciate 1
limeypride4423.50
      10-13-2021, 08:58 PM   #12
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

You've really sold me on this approach for my next car. Congrats to @[yk7] (contact:214581) on his new wheels, love the color. Photos on the web are deceiving but your finish actually looks better than a standard factory frozen finish.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4423.50
      10-15-2021, 09:29 AM   #13
yk7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
You've really sold me on this approach for my next car. Congrats to yk7] (contact:214581) on his new wheels, love the color. Photos on the web are deceiving but your finish actually looks better than a standard factory frozen finish.
Thanks a lot. Like @[limeypride mentioned, protection is a must on that color. At least the full front end. I have done it myself, its a hobby to me. Frozen colors always have a great resale value, so keeping it nice and clean is smarter imo. Also if we cant spend another few thousands to protect, what is the point of buying a $140k car?.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      10-15-2021, 09:32 AM   #14
yk7
Private
Rep

Quote:

Thanks a lot. Flew all the way just for the B&W and the color. Well glad you didnt but it haha Car looks exact same with xpel stealth wrap. Absolutely no difference. Have a peace of mind on that for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 11:46 PM   #15
karlbork
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I got my frozen bluestone M8C yesterday and it looks fantastic.

Should I wrap it in XPEL Slealth which is a matte wrap and yk7 seems to be happy with, or a completely transparent PPF wrap like limeypride said? And if the transparent PPF one, which one?

Once I have the wrap installed, should I then be able to wash the car at a normal car wash or detail it as normal, with wax etc? Sorry for all the questions, I am trying to do the right thing here to protect the paint and also make it look as good as it can.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 01:31 AM   #16
CoreyGardner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC , 22 M8C Conv. (Inc.)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yk7 View Post
Looks awesome! Mine comes in next month, having it shipped to me in an enclosed carrier because I'm afraid of chips and bug etching until I can get it PPF'd.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 09:33 AM   #17
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
I got my frozen bluestone M8C yesterday and it looks fantastic.

Should I wrap it in XPEL Slealth which is a matte wrap and yk7 seems to be happy with, or a completely transparent PPF wrap like limeypride said? And if the transparent PPF one, which one?

Once I have the wrap installed, should I then be able to wash the car at a normal car wash or detail it as normal, with wax etc? Sorry for all the questions, I am trying to do the right thing here to protect the paint and also make it look as good as it can.
If you have matte paint YES go with matte wrap. I wash by hand still, and yes you can wax but do not polish. My routine is full wrap, ceramic coating, and during my washes I put a ceramic rejuvenator on every three months.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0