M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Check Status Starter battery

03-12-2024, 11:40 AM   #1
Captain_67
Rep
Drives: BMW 840d

Garage List
2017 bmw x3  [0.00]
Check Status Starter battery

Since owning my 8 series 19MY the App has advised me the starter battery is severely discharged. With the detailed message stating, " You can still drive, but some functions have been disabled in the vehichle to protect the battery (for example, Remote Services). Charge the battery by driving for at least 30 minutes. Alternatively, connect an external charger or schedule a service appointment."

The car has been into 2 main dealers twice, The first one replaced the auxillary battery registered the battery, the second dealer said the wrong battery had been replaced, the third visit took 3 days of tests and the alarm sounder and starter battery were replaced,

The alarm DTC only showed after replacing the battery so i presume it had been shutdown to prevent a high quiescent drain,

The most recent effort (replacing the starter battery) did seem to resolve the start stop function as, which had previously never worked and I am guessing the car never reached the required battery level to activate the stop start.

Unfortunately the error message is still displayed in the app.

I have tried signing out and in again on the car.
I have deleted the app and reinstalled it.
I have tried a hard reset of the i drive (appox 60 second press).
I have contacted BMW connected team.
I have had a SARA case raised.

No one at BMW so far has come up with a solution

To me the problem seems like it has been fixed (Starter battery replaced) but the car has not been reset to confirm this.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how this could be resolved or give the dealers a clue of how to fix it,

Thanks
Appreciate 0