M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography my DSLR and lens selection, coments please.

07-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #23
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Wow, big difference. Thanks for sharing that tidbit.

Dave
      08-05-2009, 06:32 AM   #24
HelenOster
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
Amazon, b&h, adorama are reputable retailers.
Thanks for the recommendation - very much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
From an old thread I wrote on buying a camera....

You need to understand something in the camera industry called "gray market". It's equipment made in the same factory, but imported by someone other than the authorized agent for your area (Canon USA or Nikon USA in the US). This equipment can not be serviced at a factory repair location, but is generally cheaper. Your warranty is through the place you buy it, and you have no recourse with the mfg if you are not happy. Buyer beware, but you probably want to stay away from this equipment at first.

If you stick to retailers like Adorama, B&H photo, Amazon or Ritz/Wolf Camera, you'll be fine. You'll get good service and be treated with respect (usually ), but they are reputable.
I'd like to add to the above: always check reselleratings.com for customer feedback and reviews - BEFORE you part with your credit card details.

I'd also like to clarify the position re the "grey market", at least as far as Adorama is concerned.

"Grey market" refers to products imported directly into the US, rather than through the manufacturer's authorized agents / distributors. It is perfectly legal to directly import & sell these products in the US; the term "grey market" was coined by manufacturer's authorized distributors who wanted to discourage consumers from buying these (less costly) goods.

With no factory authorized middle-man involved in the import of these products, costs are lower, so the price is lower to our customers. Many items which are in short supply or not imported at all by the manufacturer's authorized distributors are available in direct import.

Any Adorama products which are being sold as such will be clearly marked, and you are more than welcome to contact me directly should you have any concerns regarding a specific listing.

There is no difference in the actual products. Occasionally manufacturers will name them differently for example the Olympus USA Digital Stylus Cameras are called Olympus MJU Cameras in Europe
On direct import products purchased from Adorama, we offer the same warranty as the USA warranted products carry for a period of one year. The only difference is that you would need to ship it to Adorama for warranty service.

I hope this helps, but please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you have any questions.

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
www.adorama.com
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #25
I'm takin' the day off.
South Africa
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post

I'd like to add to the above: always check reselleratings.com for customer feedback and reviews - BEFORE you part with your credit card details.

I'd also like to clarify the position re the "grey market", at least as far as Adorama is concerned.

"Grey market" refers to products imported directly into the US, rather than through the manufacturer's authorized agents / distributors. It is perfectly legal to directly import & sell these products in the US; the term "grey market" was coined by manufacturer's authorized distributors who wanted to discourage consumers from buying these (less costly) goods.

With no factory authorized middle-man involved in the import of these products, costs are lower, so the price is lower to our customers. Many items which are in short supply or not imported at all by the manufacturer's authorized distributors are available in direct import.

Any Adorama products which are being sold as such will be clearly marked, and you are more than welcome to contact me directly should you have any concerns regarding a specific listing.

There is no difference in the actual products. Occasionally manufacturers will name them differently for example the Olympus USA Digital Stylus Cameras are called Olympus MJU Cameras in Europe
On direct import products purchased from Adorama, we offer the same warranty as the USA warranted products carry for a period of one year. The only difference is that you would need to ship it to Adorama for warranty service.

I hope this helps, but please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you have any questions.
Hi Helen,
thanks for your input.

Here is my story, I 1st purchased a 40D from B&H it arived with over 14000 clicks on it and it did not look very good. I called B&H and they were not very helpful (it was the last 40D they had) i got a full refund (just highlights how important it is to deal with reputable dealers).

I then bought one from Adorama it arrived very well packaged and in mint condition the unit only had 28 shots on it. Unfortunately a few days later the flash failed and i sent it back. I now just received my 3rd 40D it had around 1000 shots on it and it looks good. So far so good.

I have been very busy lately but will upload some shots soon.

I have also over invested in some nice glass (now i know what you guys mean when you say this can get expensive).
      08-06-2009, 03:16 AM   #26
HelenOster
United_States
Rep

Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888 View Post
Hi Helen,
thanks for your input.

Here is my story, I 1st purchased a 40D from B&H it arived with over 14000 clicks on it and it did not look very good. I called B&H and they were not very helpful (it was the last 40D they had) i got a full refund (just highlights how important it is to deal with reputable dealers).

I then bought one from Adorama it arrived very well packaged and in mint condition the unit only had 28 shots on it. Unfortunately a few days later the flash failed and i sent it back. I now just received my 3rd 40D it had around 1000 shots on it and it looks good. So far so good.

I have been very busy lately but will upload some shots soon.

I have also over invested in some nice glass (now i know what you guys mean when you say this can get expensive).
Thank you so much for your feedback - delighted we were able to work it out for you.

www.adorama.com
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #27
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Quote:

Great to see you guys come out here and help us out with all things photography

Any special discount for us E90Post folks?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #28
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 15' YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
Great to see you guys come out here and help us out with all things photography

Any special discount for us E90Post folks?
+1

I'm in the market for a few items and I have just been holding off on them so far..

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #29
HelenOster
United_States
Rep

Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNF View Post
+1

I'm in the market for a few items and I have just been holding off on them so far..
Would your moderator / board owner be interested in joining our affiliate programme? It doesn't cost anything, but would give a regular %age discount of all purchases from Adorama.

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=getconnected

www.adorama.com
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #30
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Would your moderator / board owner be interested in joining our affiliate programme? It doesn't cost anything, but would give a regular %age discount of all purchases from Adorama.

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=getconnected
Considering how active the Photography forum is over here, you might have a chance. Let me look into it for you

EDIT: I just sent Jason a PM requesting your addition into the list of Bimmerpost vendors.

Last edited by TWiTCHY; 08-07-2009 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #31
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Thanks for the followup Twitchy. That would be nice.