M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Don't bother trying to register your signal booster with AT&T (USA)

06-28-2021, 07:17 PM   #1
Publius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F93 M8 Comp, F10 M5, E39 M5

Don't bother trying to register your signal booster with AT&T (USA)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I hope this post saves others from wasting a couple hours of their lives like I just did.

Like other ConnectedDrive-capable BMW buyers in the US, I got a document from BMW saying "you MUST REGISTER [your Signal Booster, also known as an LTE Compensator] with your wireless provider". For my wireless provider, AT&T, the URL https://securec45.securewebsession.c...albooster.com/ was provided.

First, that link is a dead end. It leads to "Not Found [CFN #0005]". The attsignalbooster.com site that used to exist is likewise dead.

Second, don't bother calling AT&T. If you speak to anyone in the "Connected Car" department (I've spoken with 3 customer support agents in that department, and 3 others in different AT&T support departments), they will sound like they have never heard of a signal booster, and will eventually tell you to contact BMW. BMW will respond by telling you to contact AT&T...

So it seems impossible to register your signal booster with AT&T.

Thus, using the charging pad in your new BMW while using AT&T's cellular service puts you in violation of US FCC regulations. Don't worry. No one at the FCC or at AT&T seems to care about this outdated 2014 regulation.

Most importantly, your signal booster—which works only on a phone that is on the charging pad—will work whether or not it is registered.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 08:53 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
I hope this post saves others from wasting a couple hours of their lives like I just did.

Like other ConnectedDrive-capable BMW buyers in the US, I got a document from BMW saying "you MUST REGISTER [your Signal Booster, also known as an LTE Compensator] with your wireless provider". For my wireless provider, AT&T, the URL https://securec45.securewebsession.c...albooster.com/ was provided.

First, that link is a dead end. It leads to "Not Found [CFN #0005]". The attsignalbooster.com site that used to exist is likewise dead.

Second, don't bother calling AT&T. If you speak to anyone in the "Connected Car" department (I've spoken with 3 customer support agents in that department, and 3 others in different AT&T support departments), they will sound like they have never heard of a signal booster, and will eventually tell you to contact BMW. BMW will respond by telling you to contact AT&T...

So it seems impossible to register your signal booster with AT&T.

Thus, using the charging pad in your new BMW while using AT&T's cellular service puts you in violation of US FCC regulations. Don't worry. No one at the FCC or at AT&T seems to care about this outdated 2014 regulation.

Most importantly, your signal booster—which works only on a phone that is on the charging pad—will work whether or not it is registered.
Thanks for the tip and didn't even know the functionality existed in my M850i. I do recall back when ordering my wife's 2017 X5 there was a special Apple only "holder" for placement within the center console that then "hooked" up the phone to the car's shark fin antenna and in essence a signal booster.

I'm on T-Mobile so I doubt they care as well but I never put my Google Pixel on the wireless charger as I need to see the screen as it runs my JBV1 app that ties to my Valentine 1 plus pulls in Waze alerts without running that app separately. Plus to do so I have a magnetic mount next to the iDrive screen and the piece of metal that goes in the phone case doesn't appear to play well with the wireless charger when I've had to charge the phone in a rare occasion. I'm assuming it's the piece of metal that makes the phone gets pretty warm while on the charging pad.
Appreciate 1
Publius29.00