M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos BMW 2002-series 40th Birthday

06-08-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

BMW 2002-series 40th Birthday

What a sweet car!
But not much here- note that the text is from BMW/AG celebrating the 2002 sport made between 1968-1975.
I suspect this will be the historical tie-in / the heritage image-link when the new 2-series is introduced.

BMW 02 Series Celebrates 40th Birthday
Text & Photos courtesy BMW Group AG
*edited 06-08-2006

The BMW 02 Club is celebrating this very special BMW model series lauded the world over for its cult status on a four-day excursion all around Munich and Oberammergau. More than 550 entrants from 16 countries are expected to attend the event with their BMW 02 Series. From 15 - 18 June, the Bavaria Tour will take participants through the beautiful Alpine region all around the famous festival town of Oberammergau. On Friday the participants will be hosted by BMW in Munich, with the cavalcade of some 270 BMW classics making an appearance at Theresienwiese as the guests of BMW. There, right beneath the Bavaria statue, an array of cars in the bright colours of the '60s and '70s will cover an area of about 6500 sqaure metres.
Participants and visitors will enjoy food, drinks and musical entertainment at the nearby Transport Centre of the world-famous Deutsches Museum. The close cooperation of the Transport Centre and BMW indeed already proved its benefits on the occasion of the BMW Isetta festivities last year. As a special gift on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the 02 Series, BMW Mobile Tradition will be proudly presenting the BMW 2002 tii built brand-new from the ground up out of Original BMW Parts on the occasion of this significant jubilee.
For further information please see the "BMW Youngtimer" press kit and the "Mission Accomplished - the Classic BMW 2002 tii Celebrating its Birthday and Resurrection" press release.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #2
Brookside
Major
Rep

another bit of recent BMW press for the 2002-series
- while paving the way for the 2-series debut by establishing historical antecedents.
BMW is working this.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
Declan
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside
another bit of recent BMW press for the 2002-series
- while paving the way for the 2-series debut by establishing historical antecedents.
BMW is working this.
Ah what a coincidence :wink: I'm really hoping they call the coupe and cabrio "2-series" to differentiate from the 1er hatchbacks.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan
Ah what a coincidence :wink: I'm really hoping they call the coupe and cabrio "2-series" to differentiate from the 1er hatchbacks.
I think they will.
It's an oppurtunity to resurrect the "2" nomenclature. And maybe remind people that small fast cars are the bedrock of what BMW is.
I won't be surprised if we see BMW trot out the 2002 and 2-series in advertisements.
It just seems apparent that they are trying to tie things in
together to make a corporate statement about youth and the young at heart, sport, urbanity-
and ( as you drop 30k on a new one ) material success.... all manifested in the 2-series.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

And it would not be the first time BMW displayed it's model heritage, retro style. Remember the Z8?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2006, 08:02 PM   #6
Galligan
Private
Rep
Drives:

I think it'd be great if BMW associated the 2 series coupe with the 2002. Hopefully it will make them stick to a certain design philosophy - that of the small, agile, lightweight coupe of old. Some of their cars have definitely gotten a little too fancy in terms of gadgetry and a little too big. Though I'm glad to see they've retained the BMW driving experience despite having bigger/heavier cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #7
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTX
And it would not be the first time BMW displayed it's model heritage, retro style. Remember the Z8?
There's 2 or 3 Z8's I see almost every week- It is my favorite of all the
relatively new BMW designs. Perfectly proportioned. Photos don't convey that. In person it is drop dead gorgeous.
Yes- it is retro- it takes its design dna off of...what is that...the BMW 507?
But it transcends retro in a way that the Beetle and Mustang don't.

BMW 507 roadster

rare 507 coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2006, 09:24 PM   #8
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside
There's 2 or 3 Z8's I see almost every week- It is my favorite of all the
relatively new BMW designs. Perfectly proportioned. Photos don't convey that. In person it is drop dead gorgeous.
Yes- it is retro- it takes its design dna off of...what is that...the BMW 507?
But it transcends retro in a way that the Beetle and Mustang don't.

And it is a tart to drive as well since it has the M5 drivetrain. This was one of the designs that sent Fisker off into superstar territoy IMO.
Appreciate 0