M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 2024 840i GC, finally figured out fob and seat memory

09-06-2023, 09:04 AM   #1
Seansmd
Rep
Drives: BMW 840i

2024 840i GC, finally figured out fob and seat memory

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi folks,

I did RTFM and watched every video I could find all added to the confusion.

I have both FOBs married to their separate profiles, each would unlock appropriately and switch to the right profile.

What is and was confusing is the seat wouldnt always move. Using fob A, and having both seat memory 1 & 2 set when I lock and unlock the seat wouldnt move.
If I set it to 1 and locked/unlocked didnt move. Set it to memory 2 lock/unlock didnt move. Set it to a completely new position lock/unlock didnt move.

Now unlock with fob B and it moves to my memory 1, lock it and unlock with fob A and it moves to the position last used not a memory.

I have seen in some videos a menu setting for seat memory last used but this does NOT exist in my ID7 version that I can find or reference in the manual.

So each has 3 memories 1,2, and last position with no way to disable last position.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 01:58 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
That is truly odd as the seat memory function tied to a fob/profile recognition has worked flawlessly in my 2020 M850i. In regards to the seat memory for "last used" I've never encountered that whatsoever including in my wife's new 2024 LCI X5 40i with iD8. Rather it works just like iD7 and also flawless for fob/profile recognition.

When you are in the car (just need iD7 on vs the engine running) if you press the seat "set" button do you get the prompt on the iD7 screen stating the current profile tied to the fob in use? Once you select #1 or #2 you should get the confirmation that it has been set to that driver profile. See the attached pics (I just had magic eraser on my Pixel 7 Pro remove my profile name).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 07:44 PM   #3
Seansmd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
That is truly odd as the seat memory function tied to a fob/profile recognition has worked flawlessly in my 2020 M850i. In regards to the seat memory for "last used" I've never encountered that whatsoever including in my wife's new 2024 LCI X5 40i with iD8. Rather it works just like iD7 and also flawless for fob/profile recognition.

When you are in the car (just need iD7 on vs the engine running) if you press the seat "set" button do you get the prompt on the iD7 screen stating the current profile tied to the fob in use? Once you select #1 or #2 you should get the confirmation that it has been set to that driver profile. See the attached pics (I just had magic eraser on my Pixel 7 Pro remove my profile name).
Yes get all those confirmations and can recall either with the buttons. But if I press mem 1 and the seat moves to mem1, then radically adjust the seat, get out and lock, when I unlock it does not move to mem1 or mem 2.

And if I go to the other fob it moves the seat to that mem, if i lock and go back to the original fob and unlock its not mem1 or mem2 its the last setting.

Its her primary car so on both profiles she's mem1 and I'm mem2. If i drive on her profile just have to hit mem1 when done. A bit of a PIA should be able to disable the last position, it exists in some of the iD versions.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 10:13 AM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seansmd View Post
Yes get all those confirmations and can recall either with the buttons. But if I press mem 1 and the seat moves to mem1, then radically adjust the seat, get out and lock, when I unlock it does not move to mem1 or mem 2.

And if I go to the other fob it moves the seat to that mem, if i lock and go back to the original fob and unlock its not mem1 or mem2 its the last setting.

Its her primary car so on both profiles she's mem1 and I'm mem2. If i drive on her profile just have to hit mem1 when done. A bit of a PIA should be able to disable the last position, it exists in some of the iD versions.
This thread peaked my interest so dug in on some research plus testing. As you pointed out, which I didn't know technically each fob does indeed have 2 seat memory capabilities, i.e., 1 & 2. But you can apply 1 of them to the specific profile tied to the seat, e.g., assign seat memory 1 to fob A's driver profile and similarly seat memory 1 to fob's B profile. I'm guessing that is for quick access if using the other household drivers fob it would unlock to its seat memory #1 but you could press #2 to get your seat, mirror, HUD, etc. memory settings.

As for the ability to turn off the last seat position memory function for a driver's profile that was definitely in iD6 and perhaps earlier. However, non-existent as you've discovered in iD7 as well as iD8 (checked in my wife's 2024 X5 40i). Why BMW removed it is a mystery but guessing due to iD7 and iD8 syncing profiles to the cloud. However, if I uncheck that sync box there still is no option to defeat last memory.

So to your point last seat position is technically always active and tested to match your results. Hence, if you unlock with fob A and the last driver was fob B the seat, mirrors, HUD, etc. will adjust to fob A's memory position. However, if seat, mirror, HUD adjustments are made during the drive and not set to seat memory #1 again that is where last memory kicks in.

In that scenario if you lock the car by the fob, comfort access touch in the door handle or my setting to automatically lock when walking away then fob A is tied to the last memory for the seat, mirrors, HUD, etc. Unlock the car with fob B and it will go to that fob's driver profile settings. Lock again and the use fob A it will indeed go back to the last memory setting vs seat memory #1. Only way to override is to press seat memory #1 which will restore everything and then when locking the car with fob A it is once again tied to seat #1 memory vs last memory settings.

I did find a hack/workaround but it's not truly viable for every day driving. That is valet mode as assumed it would preserve the true memory settings tied to the fob while seat, mirrors, etc. adjustments are made. Worked like a champ and somewhat puts the car in guest profile but certain features are locked out including any access to iD7 vs in true guest that is available.

I just never had encountered this as in my M850i there is only one profile, i.e., mine tied to one fob and the NFC key card. My wife will never drive it as it's too much power, too hard to park without serious practice and she curb rashes rims all the time. On her old 2017 X5 with iD7 I had both fobs (hers and mine) set to our driver profiles and it worked perfectly when unlocking with either and configured to who was driving. Same scenario on the new 40i.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 03:39 PM   #5
Seansmd
Rep

Exactly, thanks for the confirm.
Appreciate 0