M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos The Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport Has a 425-HP Flat-Six and a Wing Made from Flax

01-03-2019, 02:44 PM   #1
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

The Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport Has a 425-HP Flat-Six and a Wing Made from Flax

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...os-specs-info/

Quote:
We saw it testing a few months ago, but now it’s here to race. Meet the 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport, Porsche’s newest entry-level race car. Porsche will offer two versions of the 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport—a Competition version for professional racing and a Trackday version for, as the name suggests, track days.

When the Cayman became the 718 Cayman a few years ago, its naturally aspirated flat-six was controversially dropped in favor of a turbocharged flat-four. For both versions of the GT4 Clubsport, the flat-six makes a return, though it’s not the new 4.0-liter used in Porsche’s 911 race cars. Instead, it’s the same 3.8-liter six as the previous GT4, but it benefits from a new intake manifold that bumps power from 380 hp to 425 hp. That power is sent to the rear wheels via a six-speed PDK dual-clutch gearbox.

The McPherson strut front suspension comes off the 911 GT3 Cup and features three-way adjustable sway bars. Rear suspension also consists of McPherson struts, though a blade-type adjustable anti-roll bar is used instead. Of course, ride height, track width and camber are all configureable, while the Competition version also gets adjustable shocks.

Brakes consist of big steel rotors front and back, which are clamped down by six-piston calipers up front and four-pistons in the rear. Trackday GT4s also get a brake booster. The wheels are forged alloys with five-bolt hubs, while Michelin tires are supplied with delivery.

Most of the bodywork is made from aluminum and steel as on the 718 Cayman street car, but the doors and wing are made from a natural fiber mix consisting primarily of flax. Seriously. The material is more sustainable to make than carbon-fiber and it only nets a small weight increase. That wing, along with a new diffuser and front splitter also helps raise downforce compared with the previous GT4.

All cars get an FIA-spec welded-in roll cage, an escape hatch in the roof, and a six-point harness for the driver. Competition cars get a plumbed in fire extinguishing system, while the Trackday version gets a conventional handheld extinguisher. Weight is just 2910 lbs.

Both versions of the car come with driver-adjustable traction control, stability control and ABS, but they’re tailored for a bit more safety in the Trackday GT4. Inside, there’s a Cosworth gauge cluster and all the other accoutrements you’d expect in a pro-level race car.

The 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport makes its debut today at Daytona, where testing is underway for this month’s 24-Hour race. You won’t see one in the 24, though, as the car races in the Michelin Pilot Challenge series. If you want, you can order a 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport from Porsche Motorsport North America right now, but pricing has yet to be set. Deliveries for US customers begin today in preparation for the racing at Daytona later this month, while European customers get theirs next month. If you're in the market, the race car will cost $209,000 in the U.S. No price for the Trackday model has been announced.

And yes, I’m sure you’re wondering about the 718 Cayman GT4 street car. That’s coming, but not for a little while longer—Porsche wants to use the road car to help develop the street car more.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 05:44 PM   #2
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Doors and wings made from linen (i.e. flax) because it is more sustainable? How many of these cars do they plan on producing?

I welcome the day all our landfills are filled with carbon fiber race cars. Should be good pickings.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Doors and wings made from linen (i.e. flax) because it is more sustainable? How many of these cars do they plan on producing?

I welcome the day all our landfills are filled with carbon fiber race cars. Should be good pickings.
+1

I can see using eco friendly parts in mass production cars that last 10 years then end up at a scrap yard... but a $100k+ Porsche GT car is not that and most stay on the road (or garage) much longer.

But maybe said race car may need replacement spoilers and doors more often? If the price of said eco friendly materials is cheaper, I'm all for it.
      01-03-2019, 06:25 PM   #4
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

A lot of tech / parts eventually filters down into more 'common cars'. This may be the beginning for other models.. IMO it's good to see they are at least thinking about sustainability, it just has to be put into greater use to have any real effect.
Appreciate 0