M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Auto crashes incorrectly reported on my name

12-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Auto crashes incorrectly reported on my name

My insurance company has the correct information. State Department Drivers Services / Drivers license is clear. But when I call to get new rate quotes they report that I have 3 at-fault crashes. I have one at-fault slow speed downhill icy slope with summer tires. . Two other not-at fault incidents and I wasn't cited or listed at fault driver, nor did my current insurance company pay.

Anyways, how do I / who do dispute the incorrect reportings? Is this like a credit report that allows for the person to dispute.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Well... sounds like you know about all three incidents. Perhaps with the other two accidents bc your insurance made a pay out... they consider that a loss/claim. ?

Perhaps M3 Adjuster can help you out ?

Dackel
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Sounds like everything is correct.

Quote:
A common misconception among insurance consumers is that a not-at-fault accident will NOT show up on your reports. This is simply not the case. Your C.L.U.E. report will return an accident whether it is your fault or not.
https://www.thetruthaboutinsurance.c...rts-are-wrong/
Appreciate 3
Dackelone10525.50
Kyngofpop676.00
      12-26-2018, 02:46 PM   #4
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Sounds like everything is correct.

Quote:
A common misconception among insurance consumers is that a not-at-fault accident will NOT show up on your reports. This is simply not the case. Your C.L.U.E. report will return an accident whether it is your fault or not.
https://www.thetruthaboutinsurance.c...rts-are-wrong/
Correct. A C.L.U.E report simply catches all losses.

Insurers often have an internal rating system for losses ( at fault , not at fault no fault , or comparative responsibility. ) that drives how your premiums are set.

When one leaves one insurer and goes to another , the next insurer does not have the benefit of having the information from the claims investigation(s) made by the prior insurer.

In other words. Insurers report losses to each other, but they do not qualify these losses.

If the new insurer runs a report then they will consider all losses to be " at fault losses" until provided with information to show the contrary.

You can update the insurer by providing the following.

- police report
- proof of payment from responsible party
- experience letter from your prior insurer stating you were not at fault in the incident.

As per the article referenced above.

" Why Do I Have to Fix It?"

Again, a fair question, and again, life ain't fair. Insurers are often huge companies with tens of thousands, or even millions of clients, which have millions of insurance claims per year.

And just like errors on our credit report , or car fax report, or with our personal banking accounts, we're the ones on the hook to prove ourselves right…even when the "almighty reports" wrong. The odds are stacked against us.
Appreciate 6
Dackelone10525.50
pz6193277.00
zx10guy5149.50
Kyngofpop676.00
XMetal1125.00
      12-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Well... sounds like you know about all three incidents. Perhaps with the other two accidents bc your insurance made a pay out... they consider that a loss/claim. ?

Dackel
My insurance didn't pay out. They have correct information.

It's when we called for quotes.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10525.50
      12-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

Insurers often have an internal rating system for losses ( at fault , not at fault no fault , or comparative responsibility. ) that drives how your premiums are set.

When one leaves one insurer and goes to another , the next insurer does not have the benefit of having the information from the claims investigation(s) made by the prior insurer.

In other words. Insurers report losses to each other, but they do not qualify these losses.

If the new insurer runs a report then they will consider all losses to be " at fault losses" until provided with information to show the contrary.

- police report
- experience letter from your prior insurer stating you were not at fault in the incident.

Again, a fair question, and again, life ain't fair. Insurers are often huge companies with tens of thousands, or even millions of clients, which have millions of insurance claims per year.

And just like errors on our credit report , or car fax report, or with our personal banking accounts, we're the ones on the hook to prove ourselves right…even when the "almighty reports" wrong. The odds are stacked against us.
Awesome information. Thank you sir.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2018, 09:52 AM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlook637 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

Dackel
My insurance didn't pay out. They have correct information.

It's when we called for quotes.

Yes. This situation most commonly occurs when people decide they want to check rates with other companies or want to leave their current insurance company.

I presume you were calling for rate quotes to OTHER insurers? If so.. re- read all above again a second time, including the entire info on the web link. I've been handling claims for decades and I learned a little bit reading it. ( Lexis nexis and choicepoint are the firms that add data to a CLUE report. )

CLUE is an underwriting tool , not a claims tool

If you were calling your OWN insurer for quotes, their own underwriting department should be able to review/contact their own claims department info (or their should be an internal way of seeing your claims history) unless you were calling them blind.

In other words. If you aren't trying to leave your current insurance company , then the information you were given from OTHER insurers is not accurate. And it's also not that important.

If you are wanting the most accurate rates from the other insurers you will need to provide them with the actual experience information that your current insurer has, as that information is not shared from one insurer to another. ( your privacy is the concern here)
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10525.50
      12-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Another reason to hate insurance companies. Nice.
Appreciate 3
xander_g985.00
Kyngofpop676.00
XMetal1125.00
      12-27-2018, 11:01 AM   #9
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

- police report

Spot on.

I had to do this when I changed insurance companies a long time ago. There was a wreck that my insurance company paid out on to get my car fixed. But wouldn't pay the other party's damages because my claims adjuster believed my story of the events. My insurance went after the other party's insurance company for reimbursement. To bolster my case, I had a friend who is a PE for Mechanical Engineering and has been certified as a court expert witness. We went out to the intersection in question, measured distances, and timed the lights. He did a whole write up of how the other person was at fault and her story was impossible based on the physical conditions. I submitted this evidence to my insurance company. About a year later, I get a check in the mail for my full deductible.

When I went to change insurance companies, the new insurance company brought up this wreck and asked for proof I wasn't at fault. Fortunately, I saved the copy of the check and sent that in. It was enough for them to acknowledge the wreck wasn't my fault and gave me the preferred rate.
Appreciate 2
Kyngofpop676.00
Dackelone10525.50