M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Mercedes is kicking ass in big markets

Closed Thread

12-09-2016, 08:08 AM   #1
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

Mercedes is kicking ass in big markets

http://media.daimler.com/marsMediaSi...zPXRydWUmcmVzd
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      12-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #2
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quite impressive. Wouldn't have thought the E-class was one of their best sellers. To me, the new 5 series looks way better than the new E class so I'm expecting numbers to change next year.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 10:08 AM   #3
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLZ View Post
Quite impressive. Wouldn't have thought the E-class was one of their best sellers. To me, the new 5 series looks way better than the new E class so I'm expecting numbers to change next year.
I'm not sure about this one...while my favor for the E-class has faded a bit (I really liked it at launch), I still think that Mercedes designs have an 'edge' lacking with BMWs. BMWs are a bit too anonymous anymore and IMO have become very similar to Audis with their general lack of road presence (with an exception for the S8 or RS7).

I'm not sure why but I just think that the Mercedes designs look more distinctive. Maybe it's their sharper lines or something.
Appreciate 3
swanson733.00
inTgr8r2421.50
Viffermike1753.00
      12-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Mercedes is coming out with some beautiful cars. The S-Class Coupe is just stunning.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Mercedes is coming out with some beautiful cars. The S-Class Coupe is just stunning.
I love the C-class and S-class coupes. Exterior looks mean and the interior is beautiful. Even the mid range engine on the c class coupe (C43) has a really nice sport exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
I love the C-class and S-class coupes. Exterior looks mean and the interior is beautiful. Even the mid range engine on the c class coupe (C43) has a really nice sport exhaust.
Mercedes interiors are always what kept me away from the brand, but they've stepped it up.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 10:47 PM   #7
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
E-Class has always been MB's bread and butter, which is why they were so quick to replace it last gen from the previous one. This new one is every better than the S!

For BMW the 3-series is the best seller, so BMW needs to step it up on this one. Even the M/GLE is selling better than the X5.
      12-10-2016, 06:58 AM   #8
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Mercedes interiors are always what kept me away from the brand, but they've stepped it up.
Agreed. The interiors of the much older vehicles were superior to other marques in the same league and segment and somewhere along the way they lost their footing in the mid to late 90s all the way through the oughts. They definitely stepped it up but the navigation units are still outdated and lingering in some of the current vehicles that have not seen a refresh. I always found the MB navigation graphics to be so poor and comical considering the price tag and what the competition was putting out at the same time.

Reminds me of "Legend Of Zelda" back when I was a kid:

These days I am very much interested in a slightly used (1yr old or so) S212 E63 AMG/S Wagon. Now that they are AWD it is a viable candidate for a daily driver and family hauler. If the RS4 Avant or RS6 Avant were available in NAR I would have purchased it ages ago and never would've purchased an X5M or 50i.
Appreciate 2
P111541.50
      12-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #9
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 -2016

Everyone at work buys all kinds of Mercedeses but they just never impress me. The new generation C and E class all shrank inside. Mercedes claim they got roomier but we all agree they shrank, and these two cars also look excatly the same.

Interior is kinda weird, huge panels everywhere making it not only look annoying, but you also feel locked and tied up in there.

I didnt fit in the GLC either. Mercedes also cant compete with BMW multicontour seats.

Their new electronic steering is weird aswell. I would pick any Ford over the Mercedeses. Or the new ultra roomy and comfortable Kia Optima. All that Mercedes luxury is just overkill when you even cant bring two friends somewhere with them.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #10
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

the one thing i find the most annoying about MB is their overzealous use of chrome brightwork. they put shiny bits all over the vehicle and it doesn't flow well and in my opinion it takes away from the vehicle's design. it does not improve it.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #11
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

As a previous long time MB owner, I think BMW wins hands down in handling and power when comparing apples to apples. Also interior design BM has gotten better with their newer interior and exterior redesign for most of their lines.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #12
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
the one thing i find the most annoying about MB is their overzealous use of chrome brightwork. they put shiny bits all over the vehicle and it doesn't flow well and in my opinion it takes away from the vehicle's design. it does not improve it.
This is one reason i dislike MB. I had the same opinion for audi but they introduced the black optics package which makes cars look so much better. Really loving the audi designs even though many dislike the newer versions.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      12-11-2016, 11:33 PM   #13
Sotally Tober
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Zelda Comparison!

Quote:
Agreed. The interiors of the much older vehicles were superior to other marques in the same league and segment and somewhere along the way they lost their footing in the mid to late 90s all the way through the oughts. They definitely stepped it up but the navigation units are still outdated and lingering in some of the current vehicles that have not seen a refresh. I always found the MB navigation graphics to be so poor and comical considering the price tag and what the competition was putting out at the same time.

Reminds me of "Legend Of Zelda" back when I was a kid:

These days I am very much interested in a slightly used (1yr old or so) S212 E63 AMG/S Wagon. Now that they are AWD it is a viable candidate for a daily driver and family hauler. If the RS4 Avant or RS6 Avant were available in NAR I would have purchased it ages ago and never would've purchased an X5M or 50i.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 11:45 PM   #14
MaxM3F80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3,F80

i am always thankful what i drive everyday now, sorry MB.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 12:41 AM   #15
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

The new 5 doesn't stir my soul. The new E-Class is impressive, and that 12 inch display inside is fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 02:02 AM   #16
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Overall happy if BMW stop working on volume, good news if MB takes over No1 spot, maybe this way BMW will go back to it original formula, I simply never believed even Germans can do volume without blowing up quality, it was after all volume that screwed MB to 2nd place in the 90s.

BMW design is simply the best at lasting, BM simply age better, same goes for MB, Audi other the other hand are a complete disaster with age. Just look at how an e39 m sport in blue still looks good today.
Not a big fan of the massive screen like the one in the new MB, feel like you left your office two screen setup for another one, I do find the new 5 and 7 dash on a boring side.
Maybe is the conservative approach that makes BMW design stand out 20 years down the line, mind you Chris Bangle era was by far the most adventures in car design by all standards and yet so Avant-garde.
The crazy part of all this, MB got back on track with the design thanks to Karim Habib who move to MB from BMW, and shortly after the new face MB was developed, his now back with BMW.

Last edited by martin mustang; 12-12-2016 at 03:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 07:45 AM   #17
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
BMW design is simply the best at lasting, BM simply age better,
not so with the e60, e65, e53, e83. they aged horribly in terms of styling and wore poorly on the interior bits. my biggest interior gripe is with the e9X/e6x... the camel inspired dashboard with the double hump was such poor design and the plastic bits feel incredibly cheap, oddly placed cup holders and the original iDrive was clunky, clumsy and far from intuitive. i would take a mk4 navigation unit over any iDrive v.1 system any day.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 08:03 AM   #18
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
Overall happy if BMW stop working on volume, good news if MB takes over No1 spot, maybe this way BMW will go back to it original formula, I simply never believed even Germans can do volume without blowing up quality, it was after all volume that screwed MB to 2nd place in the 90s.

BMW design is simply the best at lasting, BM simply age better, same goes for MB, Audi other the other hand are a complete disaster with age. Just look at how an e39 m sport in blue still looks good today.
Not a big fan of the massive screen like the one in the new MB, feel like you left your office two screen setup for another one, I do find the new 5 and 7 dash on a boring side.
Maybe is the conservative approach that makes BMW design stand out 20 years down the line, mind you Chris Bangle era was by far the most adventures in car design by all standards and yet so Avant-garde.
The crazy part of all this, MB got back on track with the design thanks to Karim Habib who move to MB from BMW, and shortly after the new face MB was developed, his now back with BMW.
Audi actually has aged really well... A4 and A5 just recently got a new model but i still find their old designs to look really good. The A7 came out 2010 and still looking as the best looking audi in the line up.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #19
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

CLA looks like they squeezed an S-class from the sides and ended up with something that is taller than it is wide.
      12-12-2016, 09:06 AM   #20
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Love the look of the E class. I loved my 550i but if I were back in the market for a larger car again I would go with E.

Also, I'm happy I grabbed a c450 for a deal during the c43 rebranding. Just a fantastic and fun car.

That said, I'll likely get a Porsche Macan S next.
      12-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #21
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Audi actually has aged really well... A4 and A5 just recently got a new model but i still find their old designs to look really good. The A7 came out 2010 and still looking as the best looking audi in the line up.
Agreed. The B8/B.5 S5 and RS5 are among some of the best designs Audi has. The D3 S8 still plays the part of a Grand Touring vehicle very well. The RS7 (along with it's plain jane derivatives) is a polarizing vehicle. I believe it's a love it or hate vehicle. On the flip side the plain jane Q5, the A6, A4 sedan are so blah and bland they are like the German versions of the ES and RX. As I said earlier in the above post my eyes are on the S212 E63 and the second choice is the RS7. Sadly there are no high output Avant vehicles planned for NAR and the only interesting vehicle in the pipeline is the S5 SportBack. Audi suffered a substantial brain drain where some of their best left and couple that with their dieselgate woes and who knows where the brand will be in five years or how they will make up for it but I have to guess it will be a combination of cost-cutting, volume sales, emphasis on e-tron while staying away from some of the more interesting products that Scott Keogh planned a while back (RS6 Avant).
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #22
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. The B8/B.5 S5 and RS5 are among some of the best designs Audi has. The D3 S8 still plays the part of a Grand Touring vehicle very well. The RS7 (along with it's plain jane derivatives) is a polarizing vehicle. I believe it's a love it or hate vehicle. On the flip side the plain jane Q5, the A6, A4 sedan are so blah and bland they are like the German versions of the ES and RX. As I said earlier in the above post my eyes are on the S212 E63 and the second choice is the RS7. Sadly there are no high output Avant vehicles planned for NAR and the only interesting vehicle in the pipeline is the S5 SportBack. Audi suffered a substantial brain drain where some of their best left and couple that with their dieselgate woes and who knows where the brand will be in five years or how they will make up for it but I have to guess it will be a combination of cost-cutting, volume sales, emphasis on e-tron while staying away from some of the more interesting products that Scott Keogh planned a while back (RS6 Avant).
I'm actually quite excited for the S5 sportback. Currently have my eyes on it. Just like you said, Audi designs are love or hate. I too didn't like it but there is something on them that makes it grow in you the more you look at them.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread