M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion My 840i thoughts

Closed Thread

09-30-2023, 03:44 PM   #67
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
To be fair, some of the language you used was quite contentious, but everyone’s entitled to their opionion - always happy to have a discussion, and it gives us something to do
I mean I knew it was going to be a bit of a not so agreeable topic but really thought maybe some have a perspective that put the "need" of the ride in sight... Some made really great points that made me think hmmm.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 04:20 PM   #68
Forethat
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Is there anyway we can close this thread? I feel as thought people just want to fight with others instead of just providing great talking points. If you read the first page and half the second there are some really great points that I missed from others. I even appreciated their input. Like I said it was my thoughts after driving one for a few hundred miles and for those who one many provided great detail. Others just simple get offended, not once did I say anything about the choice they made, but some decided to get upset. Let's keep this from going further and close this one out... geeeshhh
No, what a tragedy. The one poster who’s spent the last couple of days insulting others, calling them liars, and behaving like a textbook schmuck by regularly taunting people for not having a cool and expensive car as himself, and on top of everything does it as if it was the coolest thing since sliced bread, is now moaning and whining as a little five-year-old girl with Hello Kitty nickers because someone gave him a proper justification as to exactly why they don’t want HIS car. And you want the thread closed? You couldn't make it up. Priceless.

I fully understand why you want this thread closed. Personally, I think you blew your cover and sealed the overall perception of yourself as a daft unknowledgeable dunce when you suggested that a 240 would be an alternative to someone who used an 840 for schoolruns and early morning training ferry service. And that using 840 instead of something as cool as your M8 was an idea that simply didn’t exist. Listen, the M8 is too firm. I don't want it because it would be shite at it. You still don’t get it, do you?

It’s always ugly when someone commits rhetorical and intellectual suicide, but you certainly managed to take it to new heights.

Quote:
1. Why did they make this car? I think they were simply trying to produce the cheapest 8 series possible with zero expectations.
I think they were trying to come up with a GT for customers that needed a comfortable car for long distances and an adult aproach to car ownership that doesn't mean they have to brag about their cars performance. Somehow, you’re thick enough to have missed that.

Quote:
2. Handles like a boat, really has more body role than the X3 M40i and is slower.
No it doesn’t handle like a boat. You simply haven’t got a clue what you’re talking about. You’re clueless. In fact, the handling and darting behaviour is one of things most often pointed out by reviewers. You missed that as well. It doesn't have the same handling as an M8, but why do I need that in a car that is being used for school runs and long motorway trips early mornings? It's not a sports car, it's a GT. To put things into perspective, your precious M8 is rolling like a boat in comparison with a Caterham, and your car is sold as if it WAS a sports car. With your lack of logic, I could ask why you didn't get yourself a Caterham instead of your M8? Huh!? Huh!? Huh!?

Quote:
3. That new larger touch screen looks like someone just turned the resolution to 150%. That is even after I looked to adjust font size etc.
The screen in M8 must be hugely different. *facepalm*

Quote:
4. The B58 engine is amazing and is tuned for good power delivery in this car, but it makes it feel fake. I guess all cars must have that small engine version.
No, all cars mustn’t have that small engine. It’s not small, but no, not all cars must have it.

Quote:
5. Listen I know some might say well I bought it for XXXX reasons.... They simply do not exist, I think about having a M240i for half the cost would have been killer compared to this boat. Or the new M2. I can't even justify this car due to cost because there are so many other options out there. Heck a used M850i if the style was the only thing you wanted.
I think you’d be better off if you simply didn’t give a flying toss about other people's cars. I know your type of mentality struggles with that idea, but accept the fact that you don’t have a clue why others opted for a different BMW than the one YOU think is the coolest BMW. Sure, I could buy an 840 with the V8, but I don’t need a V8 to take my child to swimming training. But to even suggest that I should buy a 240 and use it for long motorway trips at 5 a.m. with a teenager who wants to sleep shows me that you’re an idiot, plain and simple. Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but I’m not like you who posted 3,200 comments on this forum to tell people how amazingly attractive your BMW is and eventually ran out of ideas to tell others how cool your BMW is and therefore decided to tell others how uncool their cars are. And yes, I can afford an M8, which isn't even an expensive car. Seriously, what a bunch of manure you spread here.

Quote:
6. Steering feels like its not connected to the car at all. It is loose and has not resistance at all, add that to the large amount of body roll and its a school bus.
The steering is dynamic and gets more responsive the more load it is subjected to. I know these are complex concepts for someone like yourself but a GT isn’t really a sports car where you’d want more connection.

Quote:
7. Braking is very weak for the heft of this ride as well. They heat soak very quickly. I know they didn't build this for a track car but I'm talking a slightly spirited drive out in the rural areas.
Braking in an 840 is great as long as you have the M-Sport package with the 395mm discs in the front. Yes, you WILL overheat the brakes if you drive the car on track, just as I overheat the brakes on my M5 F10 after 10 minutes on a track. The car is not built for track racing. You probably missed that.

Quote:
There are a few other things I'm not a huge fan of but not worth really going over it. And listen I know it this won't be a positive post, but I just have to be honest. I think about the overall cost of what you get here: 93k start and in the M440i you get the same equipment start at 63k and in such a better overall vehicle. Forget all the sports car stuff its just an overall better equipped ride in the M440i over the 840i.
Goodness me, you really don’t have a clue what you’re talking about, do you? Yes, an M440 is cheaper, and so is a Fiat Delivery Van. Why would I want a delivery van or a small sedan with a 150mm shorter wheelbase as a replacement for an 840? If I want to have fun driving I take my Vantage V12 out for a spin.

Now, make sure you report this post as spam. But for heaven's sake stop handing out advice regarding car purchases. The chances of getting decent advice from you are about as likely as tossing a Stradivarius violin to a mountain gorilla in Rwanda and expecting him to play Paganini's Violin Concerto No. 2 in B minor. It isn't happening.

Last edited by Forethat; 09-30-2023 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
Seaford1147.50
      09-30-2023, 04:43 PM   #69
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Other than your attacking comments on my thoughts you simply posted your own thoughts just like I did...... You have some within your rant that does make sense.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 05:03 PM   #70
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Please, oh merciful lord and savior.....

LET
THIS
THREAD
DIE

Or, drop the Sweet Meteor of Death on us.

Either one works.

That is all.......
Appreciate 1
Tenac4538.50
      09-30-2023, 05:51 PM   #71
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Forthat! Let it go. Tenac had a rant. Whatever. He’s a valued member of our community. I’ve had my rants too. There’s no perfection in what any of us type on these forums. No need to grind out every comment.

I’ve actually wondered why the 840 was not offered in Canada but the answer is right there in front of me.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 07:48 PM   #72
Bulent Ali
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: M8 competition coupe

Can it be that some folks can't afford the M8 but love the silhouette of the M8 coupe? The closest some folks can get to that would be the " entry level " 8 series 840i ! This is normal. Some folks rake their old hatchback motors to the Nurburgring and some are lucky enough to take their Lambo. Everyone to themselves. Not all people can afford super expensive cars . I wish everyone luck in fulfilling their own dreams . I'm nearly 59 and had always wanted an e30 m3 .... i was young and financially not ready. Taken me 35 years to come to the stage where I can now fulfill my dream ( even with finance ) and not cash . Time is the key and the youth to go with it. Let everyone enjoy what they personally can afford . Let the M340i owners say his car can do 0 to 100km in 1 seconds.
Once we are in our cars and close the doors , we feel good what ever we drive . It's our feet and umbrella when it us raining 🌧 and it's our shoes of comfort when our feet ache .
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 08:05 PM   #73
Bison840i
Rep
Drives: BMW 840i

Chill Forethat, I can see the veins popping on your head from here lol

For the op, really what did you expect? You know guys have attachments to their cars especially on a forum dedicated to their cars.

You could have just stated your opinion, there was no need for some of the language you used, putting "just being honest, no offence intended" doesn't work.
If I walk up to an obese person and tell them "you disgust me you hideous blob, just being honest, no offence intended"....you get the idea.

In forethat's defence, your op really did give off the vibe of "you wish you had an m8 but you can't afford it so you got this wannabe m8", whether it was intentional or not

Imo the 840i is a great car, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. More than enough power needed (for Australian roads anyway). Looks great, has a presence, comfortable, sounds good, can tune it to ridiculous numbers if wanted. Ticks all the boxes for me

Last edited by Bison840i; 09-30-2023 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 2
Accentu8703.50
      09-30-2023, 09:49 PM   #74
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

My M8 is a very good fit for me
So if people wondering why someone buy an M8 , well in my case i can clearly tell you why
I leased my first m8 conv for 3 yesrs then end up buying an M8 coupe that i currently own so that speaks a lot that the car is good fit for some people like me .
My point is if you want a car that is Good (NOT PERFECT) on performance , looks (subjective), daily drivable, AWD and has good handling , and luxurious , all together then M8 is the answer
My point is this car can have all of these at the same time and for an acceptable price and can be good in all categories but not perfect
I am struggling to find something in this class to replace my M8
I daily drive this car in New york and love it (for being good in everything ).
Also for the brakes , should be more then enough for streets and if someone wants to track the car then get ceramics
It is not a sports car and it is not a GT , it is a little of everything that you can daily drive if u want
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2023, 10:30 PM   #75
Bison840i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctelimad View Post
My point is this car can have all of these at the same time and for an acceptable price
I
*in the US

In Australia an m8 costs $280000 us dollars

Also having all that power and not being able to use it would seriously piss me off. I barely put my foot down full throttle on my 840i as is

Last edited by Bison840i; 09-30-2023 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
Accentu8703.50
      10-01-2023, 03:04 AM   #76
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

I think it’s brilliant when someone starts digging a hole and keeps digging while blaming everyone but themselves when they fall in.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 04:36 AM   #77
Forethat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bison840i View Post
Chill Forethat, I can see the veins popping on your head from here lol
There's nothing wrong with an inability to interpret something correctly, but I can guarantee you that you can't see any of my veins. And they certainly aren't popping. Chuckling at someone who's had a serious case of hubris without realising it, perhaps. To help you correctly understand my mode, read my posts as if they were narrated by Stephen Fry the same way he reads 'Sherlock Holmes'. Hopefully, this clears your issue.

Quote:
For the op, really what did you expect? You know guys have attachments to their cars especially on a forum dedicated to their cars.
My whole point is that I think others aren't as emotionally attached to their vehicles as OP. OP has written ~3,250 comments on this forum. How many of them were spent on telling others how magnificent his BMW is? I am willing to bet he has posted a myriad of photos as well. I'll be very surprised if he hasn't posted every minor detail of his BMW. He is even so attached to his BMW he's initiating debates regarding other people's choices, and in particular why they didn't make the same choice as HE did and that they in secret envy him and really want one of his BMWs as well - he even claims we try to keep quiet about it. That's OK. Good for him. I hope he enjoys hos magnificent BMW. Personally, I use my 840 as a tool to drive me from A to B. Nothing else. That OP is extremely dedicated to his car - to the point of it being unhealthy - is pretty obvious.

Quote:
You could have just stated your opinion, there was no need for some of the language you used, putting "just being honest, no offence intended" doesn't work.
If I walk up to an obese person and tell them "you disgust me you hideous blob, just being honest, no offence intended"....you get the idea.
You're now spinning this by comparing owners of 840 as "obese", suggesting that something isn't right with them and that there's no easy way of telling them without offending them?
Look, there's no reason to beat about the bush anymore: if you (OP) spend the majority of your time on an Internet forum telling others about your fantastic BMW and imply that others who made a different choice don't exist or that they are all making up excuses for not getting one and even lie about it in an attempt to hide that they really want the same BMW you drive (implying they can't afford it and went for a cheaper option) then YOU are the obese in the analogy above and in need of professional help, simple as that.

Quote:
In forethat's defence, your op really did give off the vibe of "you wish you had an m8 but you can't afford it so you got this wannabe m8", whether it was intentional or not
It is rather obvious that was the intention. I posted a thread where I objectively, and in the same manner he did, reviewed the M8 after driving it for a couple of days. He reported and had the moderators remove that thread in one of the most tragic moment on this forum ever. It would honestly be difficult to make something like this up. Someone had the nerve to OBJECTIVELY give an account of why his BMW could be the wrong choice in certain situations? I bet his entire little world collapsed right there...

Quote:
Imo the 840i is a great car, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. More than enough power needed (for Australian roads anyway). Looks great, has a presence, comfortable, sounds good, can tune it to ridiculous numbers if wanted. Ticks all the boxes for me
In my case, it is all about the ability to ferry a passenger and me on the motorway at 5 a.m. in a comfortable manner which my M5 couldn't provide. OP seems to suggest that the 840i was the wrong choice because the brakes overheat when you provoke the car in race-like conditions and that I should have bought the same magnificent vehicle HE drives or possibly a 240 instead. D'oh!? One word comes to mind: muppet.
I personally wouldn't think about tuning or similar. But that's me and others are free to do whatever floats their boat.

I sincerely think OP should change his name to 'Lord Flashheart'. Or why not Kermit?
Quote:
"Hey Melchie! Still worshipping God? Last thing I heard He started worshipping ME…"
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 05:04 AM   #78
Bison840i
Rep

Joining this forum was a mistake. I'm out.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 06:25 AM   #79
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Joining this forum was a mistake. I'm out.
Don’t let one troll put you off - 99% of the content of the 8 Series forum is spot on.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 07:34 AM   #80
Forethat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaford View Post
Don’t let one troll put you off - 99% of the content of the 8 Series forum is spot on.
If you can't deal with the 1% who actually provide an objective and detailed view of the conditions and requirements leading up to their choice of vehicle (which accidentally was one of the questions raised by OP), don't read.

Having said that, my opinion on this matter and answers to those questions can be found here:
https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=68

The truth is that there's only ONE troll here, and that's OP. He's initiated this debate by insulting and accusing others of lying by making up their reasons for not buying a particular vehicle. How this poster can be seen as anything but a troll is beyond belief. And now you're doing exactly the same thing by providing absolutely not a single hint of input that touches on the actual topic? Goodness...

Let's start over (note that I'll now use the same tone as when I speak to a child): No, I wasn't lying when I said I opted for the 840i simply because it met every single requirement I had for its purpose. Yes, I can afford an M8. No, the M8 wouldn't meet my requirements. No, I am not jealous of those who own an M8. No, I don't drive as if I'm on a racetrack during the school run. No, I have no need for an M8, and if I did I'll just spec one and hand the sales guy my debit card. Yes, I actually exist. Yes, I like fast cars and for that purpose, I own a Vantage V12. No, I don't need to post photos of my cars to feel admired. Yes, I can understand that owners of an M8 think it's a great car. No, I have no interest in reading build threads on BMW-forums and think it's the coolest thing since sliced bread. But if you do, have at it.

So Yes, there are trolls here. Only not where you seem to think they are. Have another look.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 07:40 AM   #81
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forethat View Post
If you can't deal with the 1% who actually provide an objective and detailed view of the conditions and requirements leading up to their choice of vehicle (which accidentally was one of the questions raised by OP), don't read.

Having said that, my opinion on this matter and answers to those questions can be found here:
https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=68

The truth is that there's only ONE troll here, and that's OP. He's initiated this debate by insulting and accusing others of lying by making up their reasons for not buying a particular vehicle. How this poster can be seen as anything but a troll is beyond belief. And now you're doing exactly the same thing by providing absolutely not a single hint of input that touches on the actual topic? Goodness...

Let's start over (note that I'll now use the same tone as when I speak to a child): No, I wasn't lying when I said I opted for the 840i simply because it met every single requirement I had for its purpose. Yes, I can afford an M8. No, the M8 wouldn't meet my requirements. No, I am not jealous of those who own an M8. No, I don't drive as if I'm on a racetrack during the school run. No, I have no need for an M8, and if I did I'll just spec one and hand the sales guy my debit card. Yes, I actually exist. Yes, I like fast cars and for that purpose, I own a Vantage V12. No, I don't need to post photos of my cars to feel admired. Yes, I can understand that owners of an M8 think it's a great car. No, I have no interest in reading build threads on BMW-forums and think it's the coolest thing since sliced bread. But if you do, have at it.

So Yes, there are trolls here. Only not where you seem to think they are. Have another look.
Not sure if you think I was calling you out as the troll…..I wasn’t! It was the OP.

Like you the 840 was my choice after test driving that and an 850. Simply didn’t see the need for the 850 for what I use a car for.

My Honda Blackbird gives me all the thrills i need when I feel the urge..which isn’t very often!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 08:38 AM   #82
Carlito_UK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forethat View Post
Now, make sure you report this post as spam. But for heaven's sake stop handing out advice regarding car purchases. The chances of getting decent advice from you are about as likely as tossing a Stradivarius violin to a mountain gorilla in Rwanda and expecting him to play Paganini's Violin Concerto No. 2 in B minor. It isn't happening.
I think you meant Uganda but I'm just stirring for fun
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 08:43 AM   #83
Forethat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito_UK View Post
I think you meant Uganda but I'm just stirring for fun
No, I meant Rwanda, though I'm not confident the geographical location of the aforementioned primate is relevant. He could be driving an M8 in AZ, USA and still be unable to play the fiddle.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 09:26 AM   #84
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaford View Post
My Honda Blackbird gives me all the thrills i need when I feel the urge..which isn’t very often!
You have a blackbird? Woah. Great bike. Blast from the past. I had one. Looked to buy another lately but rare bird now.
Appreciate 1
Seaford1147.50
Closed Thread