M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Tesla Model S P100D (with Ludicrous Plus Mode)

Closed Thread

01-18-2019, 05:38 AM   #1
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 SO M4 ZCP

Smile Tesla Model S P100D (with Ludicrous Plus Mode)

I was never fond of any electric car before! lots of talk and love for the Tesla cars but really you don't understand how good it is until your drive one yourself.

The new Model S P100D is the fastest Sedan ever. 0 to 60 in 2.5 Sec the power is instant and savage, it doesn't feel like anything else on the road and looks so unique.

I am really thinking of getting one or wait for the model 3 powerful engines, this one is massive and I don't need the space for now. But I wouldn't have it as my daily or my only car. M3/M4 is a beast and wont be replaced anytime soon

For Full Video please check the link on my YouTube Channel
Appreciate 3
Sedoy675.50
GERMAN M34176.50
      01-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #2
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Get ready to get a some hate from fanboys here...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seniorleb View Post
The new Model S P100D is the fastest Sedan ever.
Quickest sedan I can believe. Certainly not the fastest.

Quote:
...or wait for the model 3 powerful engines,
I am curious what you are referring to. To my knowledge, the Model 3 is not slated to get more powerful "engines" (really, motors) any time soon. The performance model already makes 450hp. I could see a power bump up closer to 500hp at some point, but I would not expect it to ever get anywhere near the 779hp of the current Model S P100D.
Appreciate 4
Viffermike1753.00
N54Yankee2706.00
guess2098515.00
Makaveli7116.50
      01-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

I used to think that, as amazing as the P100D was, it would never replace cars like the M3 or Corvette or Viper or whatever other neato car I could think of. Mostly, this was because of H pattern manuals and a better 'driving' expereince.

It would seem, though, that eveyrone is going drive-by-wire, steer-by-wire, and shift-by-wire anyways.

I think I'd buy a P100D over an M3 if I was in the market today, and that makes me a little sad.
      01-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
Adrian g.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: German

Tesla's are great daily drivers, but not without their faults. My wife has owned her 2013 Tesla model S P85+ for several years and has done ~66k miles with it. She is on her seconds electric motor (due to a humming noise at speed) and now on her second battery (first one stopped charging correctly around 55k). Luckily we have the 8yr /100K extended warranty thru Tesla so they covered all repairs and in general the customer service is excellent.
Appreciate 2
eluded2959.00
Germanauto9665.50
      01-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Production at least a third below targets, now barely profitable ... and an announcement this morning that it will lay off 7 percent of its workforce and end all 'non-critical' contracts.

Yeah, I'm not gonna bank on Tesla.

Sell that stock now. It ain't gonna stay up for long.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #7
srey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 6mt

Quote:
I was never fond of any electric car before! lots of talk and love for the Tesla cars but really you don't understand how good it is until your drive one yourself.

The new Model S P100D is the fastest Sedan ever. 0 to 60 in 2.5 Sec the power is instant and savage, it doesn't feel like anything else on the road and looks so unique.

I am really thinking of getting one or wait for the model 3 powerful engines, this one is massive and I don't need the space for now. But I wouldn't have it as my daily or my only car. M3/M4 is a beast and wont be replaced anytime soon

For Full Video please check the link on my YouTube Channel
I think they're cool cars, and I liked it when I drove one. The styling, outside of the shape of the rear door windows, doesn't strike me as unique at all. In fact, the Model S has always reminded me of a mid-2000's Mazda 6 in terms of styling.

Appreciate 3
      01-18-2019, 11:40 AM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Production at least a third below targets, now barely profitable ... and an announcement this morning that it will lay off 7 percent of its workforce and end all 'non-critical' contracts.

Agreed. They can't ramp up Model 3 production fast enough to make room for the much needed Model Y. The S is overdo for at least a refresh if not a full new model. And the X is, well, the horrible, ugly, overly complicated Model X.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      01-18-2019, 08:31 PM   #9
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Hey guys? Subscribe! Comment! Like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 1
xQx902.50
      01-18-2019, 09:29 PM   #10
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Model S isn’t a bad looking car, but certainly nothing unique or special about its design. Certainly starting to look every bit the 7 years old that it is now.

My biggest problem with the Model S is it has such a bland interior. The giant display integrates poorly with the dashboard, and it just doesn’t feel like it cossets you the way an expensive car should. It drives fine, insanely fast off the line, but again nothing special when you start to play with it.

After you spend some time in a truely nice luxury EV like the Jaguar I-PACE, you realise you don’t have to give up everything else just to drive an electric car.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 10:16 PM   #11
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
Get ready to get a some hate from fanboys here...
Why should I? I am considering a car along with my M4! but not replacing any gasoline sports car ever. why not to have a good high rage electric car that is fast, comfortable and fast
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 10:17 PM   #12
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Hey guys? Subscribe! Comment! Like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lol sure That's how it is mate like all Youtubers small or big
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 10:21 PM   #13
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Quickest sedan I can believe. Certainly not the fastest.

I am curious what you are referring to. To my knowledge, the Model 3 is not slated to get more powerful "engines" (really, motors) any time soon. The performance model already makes 450hp. I could see a power bump up closer to 500hp at some point, but I would not expect it to ever get anywhere near the 779hp of the current Model S P100D.
With Tesla Expect any new idea to take place without prior planning, if they put the P100D motors on the Model 3 it will be mental, I am not sure even if they might sacrifice the battery size since Elon Musk already talking about performance version of the roadster so Tesla is really moving toward the niche of getting Speed addicted motor-head to buy their cars. I guess only Time will tell
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 10:41 PM   #14
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
I'm holding out for the Roadster. I hear it can fly!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 02:08 AM   #15
Sukir
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

fast car
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post

I'll not comment on the stock since if Tesla was a looked at by analysts like normal car company, Wall Street would have killed it by now; it gets a pass for some reason I don't understand.

But I do find it interesting that 100+ year-old GM announces a 15% RIF of employees and the news is GM is going under (again?). Tesla, a 10 year old car company that just two years ago was the golden child of the internet because 400,000 millennials signed up to forward-fund (go-fund-me) Musk's company at $1,000 a pop to get in line for a $35K electric car with 200+ mile range. Yet anyone can go on-line and order a $50,000 Model 3 and get it in 4 weeks and Tesla has made just 150,000 cars since late 2017; the $35,000 model doesn't exist. Like another Poster said, the Model S needs a refreshment if not an overall redesign to get the production cost out of it. The Mode X is very expensive to produce with the floating rear seat and X-wing door designs, which are very expensive to produce.

Designing and manufacturing automobiles is an expensive business that requires incredible amounts of investment. Musk has no magic formula to manufacture a car less expensively than any of the major auto manufacturers can, regardless of it being electric or ICE. Tesla keeps promising a drastic reduction in the price of its cars and NEVER delivers on that promise. The Model X was supposed to cost $50K in average transaction price, half of the Model S; it never happened, and it was two years late in production. Tesla is living off its investors and not profit-making automobiles. At some point reality always sets in. The investors will eventually want their money back, that's just the way it goes.

But everyone sees Tesla as a "disruptive" force in the automotive industry, which has me concerned, such as GM thinking it's going all-electric (except for trucks...) and big-tech all-autonomous as a transportation supplier (think Uber), which is a big stretch IMO, and about 30 years too early in financial viability - from a company that had to get a federal bailout not even a decade ago.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 08:25 AM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With Tesla Expect any new idea to take place without prior planning, if they put the P100D motors on the Model 3 it will be mental, I am not sure even if they might sacrifice the battery size since Elon Musk already talking about performance version of the roadster so Tesla is really moving toward the niche of getting Speed addicted motor-head to buy their cars. I guess only Time will tell
How about an fuel-conserving EV with smaller motors and a smaller battery with more range to save the planet?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #18
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Like I say, don’t expect anything like that in the Model 3. It would be like deciding between buying an M5 now and waiting for the M3 to get the M5’s running gear. No one does that because it’s nonsensical. Tesla may attempt to play by different rules, but they still have to maintain a product hierarchy just like every other manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #19
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

The Tesla sounds like a great, albeit expensive second car for picking up the kids, grocery getting, etc and around here, they are very common. Those driving them like to seemingly sneak up and blast by my M6 when I have no idea I'm racing. That's their little game but I'll take my M6 anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
If on a long distance trip, say from LA to Phoenix, one will arrive significantly earlier (two-three hours) in a gasoline powered car with no more horsepower than a Toyota Corolla because of the Tesla's limited range and long charging times. That doesn't sound fun to me.
When out cruising in the M6 up and down Coast Highway, the sound of the exhaust is enjoyable and a battery powered car just can't offer the same sensory experience. I suppose if you are in the front row at the next light, you'll be the first to get to the next one but that does sound kinda boring after awhile.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #20
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep

The Tesla sounds like a great, albeit expensive second car for picking up the kids, grocery getting, etc and around here, they are very common. Those driving them like to seemingly sneak up and blast by my M6 when I have no idea I'm racing. That's their little game but I'll take my M6 anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
If on a long distance trip, say from LA to Phoenix, one will arrive significantly earlier (two-three hours) in a gasoline powered car with no more horsepower than a Toyota Corolla because of the Tesla's limited range and long charging times. That doesn't sound fun to me.
When out cruising in the M6 up and down Coast Highway, the sound of the exhaust is enjoyable and a battery powered car just can't offer the same sensory experience. I suppose if you are in the front row at the next light, you'll be the first to get to the next one but that does sound kinda boring after awhile.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #21
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbimmer View Post
If you not read this, you'll enjoy it I think:

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...uries-feature/
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #22
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep

Great article-thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 1
Dimitri314.50
Closed Thread