M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850i reviews are in

10-26-2018, 12:38 PM   #67
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

The EVO review was pretty awesome, 4.5 stars out of 5. U.S. reviews are starting to come in, as well, and have been positive thus far. The guy at Automobile Magazine practically creamed in his pants reviewing the car:

Automobile Magazine
"BMW’s Back, Baby! The new 8 Series is shockingly good—no matter where you drive it"
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...e-first-drive/

And even Johnny Lieberman at MotorTrend, who typically hates BMW's (and goes out of his way to mention that) raved about it. He even (gasp) said the steering feel was "spot on".

MotorTrend
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/...-drive-review/

Last edited by JRobUSC; 10-26-2018 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 12:39 PM   #68
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD18 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnPaul View Post
I can't tell if these new "ultimate driving machine" disappointments will eventually hurt sales. Right now sales is running off the reputation built decades ago. The bmw line up around 2000 was epic from a drivers standpoint and maybe the pinnacle of the company. With all cars being fairly lifeless, it's such a great opportunity for bmw to stamp down its authority. Instead bmw is just always a step behind Benz.
+1 . I feel there has been a spark missing, especially when things started going turbo.
The majority of the current BMW market audience prefers luxury ride quality, easy to turn electric steering, interior gadgets, road isolation, quiet cabins, etc.

BMW is successfully catering to that market. The enthusiasts don't pay the bills. They are part of a very vocal but fairly immense minority of buyers.

BMW claims that they can make program old school steering like feedback into the current electric/electronic steering systems. But their core customers are not interested in a muscle building steering rack as it was in BMW products of yore.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 2
AD18350.50
      10-26-2018, 03:07 PM   #69
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I'm the core demographic for this product.

I bought my 2017 650xi Gran Coupe almost 2 years ago now - $113k, nearly fully loaded. It gets me from point A to B (usually a client or airport) in style, comfort, and luxury - all while doing it at speed. I don't want, nor do I need, the car to be a "sports car." It's not. It's an extremely heavy car, and driving it hard in the corners is not pleasurable. Driving it fast on the highway? That, however, is very pleasurable. It's rock stable, quiet inside, and it just effortlessly sheds away miles... with tons of leather, gadgets, and everything else to keep you entertained.

For a SPORTS car, I have my R8 V10. That's designed to actually be fun - not only in a straight line but on twisty back roads. It's refined as far as nice leather and carbon fiber appointments, but it's not going to be a super comfortable conveyance for hours on-end, nor does it give me the technology and insulation from the surrounding world like a GT car. I bought it to have fun, though, as most sports car are designed.

And there's the truth of it. The 8-series is a 6-series replacement. It fills the EXACT same market need, and I suspect most of the buyers will be current 6-series owners. I likely won't be among them, however, as I've not found the 8-series to be compelling enough. Maybe I'll be swayed at some point, but it's not offering any substantial improvement over my current 650xi GC, and I actually find the styling to be a let-down from the concept.

Anyone who is calling this thing a "sports car" really needs to re-examine that thinking. It's NOT. It's a grand touring car, plain and simple.
Appreciate 3
      10-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #70
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
I'm the core demographic for this product.

I bought my 2017 650xi Gran Coupe almost 2 years ago now - $113k, nearly fully loaded. It gets me from point A to B (usually a client or airport) in style, comfort, and luxury - all while doing it at speed. I don't want, nor do I need, the car to be a "sports car." It's not. It's an extremely heavy car, and driving it hard in the corners is not pleasurable. Driving it fast on the highway? That, however, is very pleasurable. It's rock stable, quiet inside, and it just effortlessly sheds away miles... with tons of leather, gadgets, and everything else to keep you entertained.

For a SPORTS car, I have my R8 V10. That's designed to actually be fun - not only in a straight line but on twisty back roads. It's refined as far as nice leather and carbon fiber appointments, but it's not going to be a super comfortable conveyance for hours on-end, nor does it give me the technology and insulation from the surrounding world like a GT car. I bought it to have fun, though, as most sports car are designed.

And there's the truth of it. The 8-series is a 6-series replacement. It fills the EXACT same market need, and I suspect most of the buyers will be current 6-series owners. I likely won't be among them, however, as I've not found the 8-series to be compelling enough. Maybe I'll be swayed at some point, but it's not offering any substantial improvement over my current 650xi GC, and I actually find the styling to be a let-down from the concept.

Anyone who is calling this thing a "sports car" really needs to re-examine that thinking. It's NOT. It's a grand touring car, plain and simple.
Congrats on your success, but in fairness you are in the minority, most people don't own a $113k daily driver and a $150k weekend toy. I could afford one of them, but I couldn't have two, and for someone like me, the M850 does an admirable job of combining the attributes of both. Maybe it's not quite as plush as an S-class or as sporty as a 911 (or R8), but it does a good job of being plush LIKE an S-class, AND sporty LIKE a 911 or R8, which is something none of those cars can do (and it looks like an Aston Martin, which to me is sexy as hell). The Gran Coupe version should be downright fantastic, especially in full M guise.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 02:39 PM   #71
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Replying to both of the two recent posts - I did consider an R8 V10 manual, last of the first gen as well as getting a 535d F11 or an M140i - but a big part of the GT aspect for me is 500-1000 mile trips past a bunch of wineries for a week and the R8 just wouldn’t have the luggage capacity. The AMG GT in a good enough spec would have been ok as it has quite a bit of room but they are outside my price range plus I’d still need a more practical car.

For my use which is 30-60 miles a day around the city, to parking buildings, occasional 3 or 4 seater plus fantastic touring credentials (comfort, fuel range in particular) for trips away, it really suits me more than any other car.

You’re right though - it too heavy to be a sports car but it is sportier than the S coupe or the Continental GT while having 4 seats and being significantly more comfortable than an M4 so I still can’t think of a single car I’d prefer.

My next car will most likely end up being an M8 Coupe unless Porsche release a new 928 or 2 door Panamera
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #72
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Nothing we haven't heard before aimed at the 650 and M6. Everything old is new again, I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 05:01 PM   #73
mbchris
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Volvo S90

M = Motorsport. Enough said.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 12:25 AM   #74
fiftee50
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: -

Very positive review from Automobile Magazine: https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...e-first-drive/
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #75
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

The memory radio hotkeys were available for a very long time now, including smaller models. Indeed a very nice feature, but nothing new.

either the glasses are crooked, either this guys right ear is really higher than the other...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #76
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Well done BMW - interior looks cheaper then a GTR.
Rear end looks like a messed up lexus.
Side profile is a mustang screwing a martin.

Wish they did much better. 8 is dead to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 04:38 PM   #77
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
Maybe a bit disappointing hope the M8 is more of a drivers car
Seems like they're going for more of a GT "S-class" thing with this car. Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a driver's car after seeing the way BMW corporate has been going.
      10-28-2018, 09:17 PM   #78
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy Rich View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absurdium View Post
I think the comparison here is a bit off as the 9114S is a sports car that is made to be comfortable. M4 interior dimensions are already bigger than that of the 911 so the M8 in reality would feel like a much bigger car. Although porsche's always have trick suspension, I'd bet that the M850i would be more comfortable and refined as well. When you say it as "1100 pounds of weight just to fit golf clubs", it's easy to dismiss the actual purpose of the 8 series. However let's say you want to do a cross country trip with your SO, the utility and comfort of the 8 series would be much better suited for the task than the 911. This is really the purpose of all GT cars and why they are fundamentally different than sports cars; lots of power, big space, and style.
Of course you're right. And the 8's purpose is to be a GT. But I still wish a company with BMW's DNA would build a sports car.

I also have to say that BMW never wants to admit that they're building GTs ("no, no, the 8 doesn't compete with the S-Class coupe"). It almost feels like they're embarrassed to be building the cars that they are.
I have a 760whp M3, I don't see how BMW hasn't built a sports car.

It can go toe to toe with a 720s, even if it's tuned, then swap tunes and dominate on a track — it seats 4 adult sized humans and has 4 doors.

Don't know why you're bitching about a car that is in a far different class than their actual sports car...
What m3 can go toe to toe with a 720s? Get out of here with that nonsense man.

You could put wings on an m3 and it still wouldn't come close. Hahahaha
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 09:18 PM   #79
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 | MKIV Supra | Aventador S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy Rich View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absurdium View Post
I think the comparison here is a bit off as the 9114S is a sports car that is made to be comfortable. M4 interior dimensions are already bigger than that of the 911 so the M8 in reality would feel like a much bigger car. Although porsche's always have trick suspension, I'd bet that the M850i would be more comfortable and refined as well. When you say it as "1100 pounds of weight just to fit golf clubs", it's easy to dismiss the actual purpose of the 8 series. However let's say you want to do a cross country trip with your SO, the utility and comfort of the 8 series would be much better suited for the task than the 911. This is really the purpose of all GT cars and why they are fundamentally different than sports cars; lots of power, big space, and style.
Of course you're right. And the 8's purpose is to be a GT. But I still wish a company with BMW's DNA would build a sports car.

I also have to say that BMW never wants to admit that they're building GTs ("no, no, the 8 doesn't compete with the S-Class coupe"). It almost feels like they're embarrassed to be building the cars that they are.
I have a 760whp M3, I don't see how BMW hasn't built a sports car.

It can go toe to toe with a 720s, even if it's tuned, then swap tunes and dominate on a track — it seats 4 adult sized humans and has 4 doors.

Don't know why you're bitching about a car that is in a far different class than their actual sports car...
What m3 can go toe to toe with a 720s? Get out of here with that nonsense man.
Use your brain, man child.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 07:10 AM   #80
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
The majority of the current BMW market audience prefers luxury ride quality, easy to turn electric steering, interior gadgets, road isolation, quiet cabins, etc.

BMW is successfully catering to that market. The enthusiasts don't pay the bills. They are part of a very vocal but fairly immense minority of buyers.

BMW claims that they can make program old school steering like feedback into the current electric/electronic steering systems. But their core customers are not interested in a muscle building steering rack as it was in BMW products of yore.

Yep I agree. A bit of a shame for us enthusiasts though that want something a bit more special from the brand or look to the past expecting the same now. Unfortunately, money talks.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 08:53 AM   #81
Jono2112
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukr View Post
Should have made a lighter weight 6 series...
I'm a huge fan of the BMW brand, but I just can't understand why they (or anyone else, apparently) can't do what Porsche has done. Consider the 9114S, Porsche's closest performer to the M850. It weighs 1100 pounds less than the BMW. That's a crazy number. Exterior dims are much smaller, but the front seats are only marginally smaller. And both cars' back seats are equally unusable. The only real-life advantage for the M850 is the ability to fit a set of golf clubs in the trunk. Is that really worth another 1100 pounds of weight?

I know it's a first world problem, but I'd kill for the love child of my M4 and my 911!
Wasn't that supposed to be the Panamera?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 09:00 AM   #82
kzflags
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
I feel sorry for people who buy BMWs as status symbols
no need to - stay in your own lane.

whos the bigger asshole, the guy blowing cocaine or the guy judging you for blowing cocaine?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #83
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatterson007 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
0-60 in 3.6 seconds and is more than 200lbs lighter than the s63....

please think before you post.
Kids think 0-60 makes a sports car.

please grow up before you post.
Not very many roads with a speed limit of 180 mph. 0 to 60 is what most daily drivers care about. Obviously you occasionally gun it on the highway, but unless you are on a track, 0-60 is a pretty significant factor.
it is all about 0-60 times ... Not!

its about acceleration, braking, hitting the apex, style, and 'that' feeling ...
Attached Images

Current ///M: 2017 M3 Ultimate
Past ///M Cars: E92 M3 ZCP 'CDN LRP' … E85 Z4M-R ... E92 M3 ZCP Frozen ... E90 M3 ... E46 M3 Cab ... E46 M3 ZCP ... E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 04:06 PM   #84
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono2112 View Post
Wasn't that supposed to be the Panamera?
Hmm . . . I'm not sure that that was Porsche's intent, but if it was, they failed badly. The Panny's a nice car, but its weight is much, much closer to a Cayenne than a 911 or a M4.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2018, 11:35 PM   #85
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Hmm . . . I'm not sure that that was Porsche's intent, but if it was, they failed badly. The Panny's a nice car, but its weight is much, much closer to a Cayenne than a 911 or a M4.
I wonder if a 928 replacement based on the Panamera will come out.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 04:45 AM   #86
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
I wonder if a 928 replacement based on the Panamera will come out.
There's been talk about that for years in enthusiasts' blogs, but there's no indication that Porsche is working on such a thing. Their focus seems to be on the 992, Taycan and next-gen Macan right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 05:40 AM   #87
rolandeis
Heliskier
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d

Here is another - I mean very good - test report, characterizing the 8 coupe:
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 07:21 PM   #88
bmweston
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i M Performance

Am I the only one that things it's an underwhelming barge?
Appreciate 0