M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos BMW To Offer Matte Paint Finish?

06-15-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

BMW To Offer Matte Paint Finish?

BMW To Offer Matte Finish?
You'll take a shine to this

09 June 2006
Paul Gover auscarnews

The car you never have to polish is on the way. It promises to be a boon for anyone who has to battle the bucket for weekend car-wash duties in drought conditions.

BMW is working hard on a matt finish paint that will end the drudgery and could rewrite the rules on car styling and presentation.

It made the first move with its M Coupe concept at the Frankfurt Motor Show last year and, after a lot of interest from potential customers, is fast-tracking development of the new paint.

BMW says it wants to be first but has to overcome many problems, from applying the paint in factories to preserving it against everything from sap and tar to fingerprints."Surfaces on the vehicle turn to sculpture with this paint," Z4 Coupe project manager Timo Gobel says.

He gave the update at the preview of the Z4 Coupe in Portugal. BMW displayed a bodyshell with the same matt finish as the Frankfurt car."It is a big technical challenge," Gobel says. "There are many changes necessary, from the factory paintshop to caring for the finish.

"We have no idea yet on how we will be able to repair it." He says research is moving into testing on everything from durability to protecting the paint without detracting from the matt finish. "It will be some time before this paint is available," Gobel says.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I saw this article as well. Sweet, but might be too high maintanence for me .
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #3
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

I'd heard talk of this when BMW previewed the Z4M coupe..and I'm skeptical...maybe for racing? But for everyday?...
There's speculation that if BMW can get the paint formulation correct- for all the reasons listed in the article- they'll offer it as an option in a wide variety of colors.
Seeing is believing.
Appreciate 0