M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Lets talk about garage lifts!

04-28-2019, 09:12 AM   #45
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Yes, you'll have to work quickly if you cant fit new brakes in a few weeks.
So what was funny about the brakes was the rears went first. I bought the car used with 23,000 miles on it (now at 95,000), so I assume the brakes that came with it were the factory ones. But in my US State (Virginia) we have annual safety inspections. The guy I take my cars to for inspections lets me slide on things sometimes because he knows I'll take care of it in short order. So the Z4 had some body shop time at a BMW dealership in March. They kindly suggested I needed rear brakes. I agreed with them but said I was waiting for the notification to come on. The Z4 went out of state inspection while getting the body work done, so when I got it back, I had my local guy do the annual inspection. He said, "I'll let you go with it, but man you REALLY need rear brakes, let me show you." I said, "Yeah, I know, but I'm waiting for the notification..." When I checked, holy crap, the rear pads were paper thin, and then a few days later, the pad wear notification came up, finally. The pads were well beyond where BMW usually lets the pad wear to (2MM - 3MM). So I replaced everything, and the notification was still on. Yup the front brakes are what triggered the notification. I checked the old rear sensor, and it looks like the wire loop is still in tact. I'll check it with a multimeter today to make sure. First time I've ever had a pad sensor fail like that.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 09:18 AM   #46
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

95k is a good mileage to do the rear brakes.

But the brake pad wear sensor, is that a contact to ground?
Or a short/continuity between 2 wires which is cut when worn through?
(I'm trying to figure out how you can get a front brake wear notification without having worn front brakes, with the 2nd option it could just be a wire internally broken)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 04-28-2019 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 10:03 AM   #47
Alpine_F82
Just Building My M4 Track Car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15’ M4 Alpine

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Bend pak 4 post lift is one of the best that’s what I have its very easy and straight forward.

https://www.bendpak.com
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 10:31 AM   #48
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Nice thing with a 4 post is, that you can run led strips along the runboards, that gives you great illumination of the underside when working.
My MOT station have lifts that have that from factory and it looks very nice

With a 2 post I always struggle. (Of course I have portable magnetic worklights and such but...)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 12:43 PM   #49
Defiant2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 Hockenheim M2C

Garage List
4-post and single post. 4 great for storage and it's 9 ft wide drive through perfect for parking the daily. It also has a built in slide lift for maintenance, but not as good as two post. Single post is only good for storage, but frees up tons of space (fits in the "bump-out" perfectly.)

Have 12' ceilings, so each platform is set to 6.5 ft walk under and I had to "high lift" those two garage door tracks with side mount motors.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
3798j11165.50
roastbeef11571.50
      04-28-2019, 02:07 PM   #50
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Thats a very nice setup you have at home!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #51
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
95k is a good mileage to do the rear brakes.

But the brake pad wear sensor, is that a contact to ground?
Or a short/continuity between 2 wires which is cut when worn through?
(I'm trying to figure out how you can get a front brake wear notification without having worn front brakes, with the 2nd option it could just be a wire internally broken)
The latter, it's just a simple circuit, when the wire loop in the sensor breaks, the icon lights. Open circuit = icon; closed circuit = no icon. The E90 is a different circuit with 2 loops of wire.

Fresh brakes all around and the icon is off now. The wire in the front sensor was broken. The fronts were spent, down at 2MM or so.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 04:47 PM   #52
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

i did a challenger CLFP9 2-post so I could work on cars. Worked out perfect with 11' ceiling, high lift door tracks and jackshaft motor, plus now its a 4 car garage.

Last edited by hybrid_eg; 06-17-2019 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16941.50
      06-14-2019, 10:11 PM   #53
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Just had a Bendpak HD-9 installed. Don’t know why I didn’t do this 10 yrs ago. Simply awesome. Question?
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh16941.50
      06-15-2019, 12:48 AM   #54
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Bendpak HD7.

As a person who loves cars it allowed me to have one off-road vehicle and two sporty cars, while still having a parking spot for my wife’s car essentially making a three car garage into a 4 car garage. My lift is a tight fit, but all cars are parked inside.

This video series really helped me layout my garage. Good luck!

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 08:02 AM   #55
Defiant2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 Hockenheim M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Bendpak HD7.

As a person who loves cars it allowed me to have one off-road vehicle and two sporty cars, while still having a parking spot for my wife’s car essentially making a three car garage into a 4 car garage. My lift is a tight fit, but all cars are parked inside.

This video series really helped me layout my garage. Good luck!

Love that techno-violet! Radwood-worthy!
Appreciate 0