M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion NEW 2019 BMW M850i - My First Impressions

11-22-2018, 09:20 AM   #1
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 SO M4 ZCP

Cool NEW 2019 BMW M850i - My First Impressions

As a current M4 Competition, this is a totally on a new level. If u didn't seen the car in real life! u must it is just fantastic from every angle the exterior is so menacing and futuristic, I had the impression the back wont be so aggressive and BMW'ish but damn I was wrong It has grown a lot on me.

The interior is not boring as many claimed it super functional and high tech, material used and combo is wonderful the quality of leather is so good, it is even smells like no other BMW I have even entered, the dash and middle screen integration is lovely, I also liked the new Idrive system and all its options.

Hands down for BMW and I cant wait for the new M8 as for the couple of months ahead Once this car will be for review I might really upgrading my current M4 to this.

Appreciate 3
Wing Co239.00
GuyOh1064.00
themnmd1687.00
      11-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
buddenfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

In pics the 8 looked very much like a 6 series to me but you said it looks futuristic. I am curious, in person how does this compre to the current 6 series?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 01:25 AM   #3
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenfan View Post
In pics the 8 looked very much like a 6 series to me but you said it looks futuristic. I am curious, in person how does this compre to the current 6 series?
Likewise, it looks so good in every angle and i dont care what the haters says BMW is moving to a better direction, the 6 series looks dated in every aspect compares to this but performance wise not sure I cant tell without having a H2D
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 08:22 PM   #4
buddenfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seniorleb View Post
Likewise, it looks so good in every angle and i dont care what the haters says BMW is moving to a better direction, the 6 series looks dated in every aspect compares to this but performance wise not sure I cant tell without having a H2D

My i8 lease ends in May. I was thinking either another i8 coupe or the roadster but maybe after this years NY autoshow if the 850 imrpesses me Ill go for that
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 10:44 PM   #5
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

I can't wait to test drive one of these things as I really need an upgrade from my 335 (which is fun to drive). The 8's exterior looks over-designed to me and the dash is missing the wood-line which I like, but I'm more interested in the handling and overall performance. If this is really a Porsche killer I'm in.

The alternative is the 911 Carrera S, which is more to my taste aesthetically and obviously drives well but could use a tad more elbow room. It's about $10k more than the 8 but what can you do?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #6
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My i8 lease ends in May. I was thinking either another i8 coupe or the roadster but maybe after this years NY autoshow if the 850 imrpesses me Ill go for that
I cant tell how it drives yet it is not available but I cant wait to review it and It might be my next car I know the M8 will cost much more so let's see
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 10:38 AM   #7
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post
I can't wait to test drive one of these things as I really need an upgrade from my 335 (which is fun to drive). The 8's exterior looks over-designed to me and the dash is missing the wood-line which I like, but I'm more interested in the handling and overall performance. If this is really a Porsche killer I'm in.

The alternative is the 911 Carrera S, which is more to my taste aesthetically and obviously drives well but could use a tad more elbow room. It's about $10k more than the 8 but what can you do?
Bro U can customize the car the way u like it! I had the same feeling before but in flesh it looks so so good! Im certain u would want once more the 911 which looks all the same to me + the carrera S unlike the 4S does not have the wide body u will be blending with the rest having said that the M850i will stands out a lot more
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 05:21 AM   #8
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post

I am looking forward to the M8 and seeing it in the flesh myself but other than marketing, this is not a sports car like a 911. Likely an excellent GT but unless it looses 1000+lbs, this will not be a nimble driver.
Electronics only do so much.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
bmcginn53
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera Turbo

Anyone who is forming their conclusion on the 850i from photos is making a terrible mistake. The car is way better looking in the flesh and looks much smaller than in the photos. It’s proportions are perfect and it’s a great looking car from all angles. I had a chance to test drive it and it’s spectacular. It has a solid ride with very responsive steering. Like a lot of you I’m thinking of getting an M8 but the 850i is very quick and I’m not sure I want the harsher ride of the M8. In the end I’ll probably get the M8, but it’s going to be a tough decision because this car is no slouch.
Appreciate 1
Wing Co239.00
      11-26-2018, 05:28 PM   #10
buddenfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcginn53 View Post
Anyone who is forming their conclusion on the 850i from photos is making a terrible mistake. The car is way better looking in the flesh and looks much smaller than in the photos. It’s proportions are perfect and it’s a great looking car from all angles. I had a chance to test drive it and it’s spectacular. It has a solid ride with very responsive steering. Like a lot of you I’m thinking of getting an M8 but the 850i is very quick and I’m not sure I want the harsher ride of the M8. In the end I’ll probably get the M8, but it’s going to be a tough decision because this car is no slouch.
So in person it doesnt look similar to a 6 series? Thats my issue with ur from photos. I had a 6 series for 2 years and went through 8 tires and 6 rims due to the New York City potholes. Now I have an i8 for the last 2 1/2 years and love it and have had zero tire issues.

My next car choice was either the M850i or the i8 roadster. Tough decisions.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 04:55 AM   #11
bmcginn53
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera Turbo

I think it looks way better than the 6 series. I had a 2006 M6 which was likely the worst car I’ve ever owned, so I’m negatively biased against the 6 series. I can’t say how the 850 will deal with NYC potholes or how it’s tires and wheels will hold up, but during my test ride I took it on a road with very uneven pavement and it was rock solid.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #12
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think it looks way better than the 6 series. I had a 2006 M6 which was likely the worst car I’ve ever owned, so I’m negatively biased against the 6 series. I can’t say how the 850 will deal with NYC potholes or how it’s tires and wheels will hold up, but during my test ride I took it on a road with very uneven pavement and it was rock solid.
I agree it looks even better than the M4 to be honest!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 02:02 PM   #13
Coops395
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 840d Msport/ 2018 M2

Quote:
Quote:
So in person it doesnt look similar to a 6 series? Thats my issue with ur from photos. I had a 6 series for 2 years and went through 8 tires and 6 rims due to the New York City potholes. Now I have an i8 for the last 2 1/2 years and love it and have had zero tire issues.

My next car choice was either the M850i or the i8 roadster. Tough decisions.
I've had a 6 for the last 7 years and I love it from every angle. My dealer just got their demo 8 in.. sapphire black with white leather. I cannot tell you just how good this car looks, as said earlier in this thread from every angle it looks soo good. I think dark colours suit it but its smaller than the 6 but wider.. soo much wider. If you love your 6 you will adore and lust over the 8!

The lights and the rake of that rear screen just makes it look so low and futuristic, I didn't want to see it in the flesh because I knew if I did I would want one. I cant see any other model in the current/future range apart from the new 4 coupe stopping me from getting one... it looks that good in the flesh
      12-04-2018, 11:38 AM   #14
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops395 View Post
I've had a 6 for the last 7 years and I love it from every angle. My dealer just got their demo 8 in.. sapphire black with white leather. I cannot tell you just how good this car looks, as said earlier in this thread from every angle it looks soo good. I think dark colours suit it but its smaller than the 6 but wider.. soo much wider. If you love your 6 you will adore and lust over the 8!

The lights and the rake of that rear screen just makes it look so low and futuristic, I didn't want to see it in the flesh because I knew if I did I would want one. I cant see any other model in the current/future range apart from the new 4 coupe stopping me from getting one... it looks that good in the flesh
Well Said, Amazing design, new lines crazy back lights makes this the most daring BMW and will definitely get this over a regular 911
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #15
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Saw the new M850i and the Vert at the LA Auto show. Very nice car but it will remind one of the 6 series I think. Interesting choice of colors they used for the show...very muted for the Coupe. Think sticker was like $119K if memory serves...
      12-07-2018, 08:23 PM   #16
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Always nice viewing/video. Keep it up
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #17
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Rep