M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Anyone Ever Consider Having an Affair???

11-23-2014, 12:38 AM   #23
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Guys I used to say that I'd only drive BMWs the rest of my life. Then I realized BMW doesn't care about me...they care about my money and if not my money then as many people's money as possible. It makes little sense to be loyal to a brand when brands have no loyalty to you.

You can either drive BMWs the rest of your life and live in a way where ignorance is bliss or you can taste all the different flavors and realize what you've been missing
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 04:58 AM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Guys I used to say that I'd only drive BMWs the rest of my life. Then I realized BMW doesn't care about me...they care about my money and if not my money then as many people's money as possible. It makes little sense to be loyal to a brand when brands have no loyalty to you.

You can either drive BMWs the rest of your life and live in a way where ignorance is bliss or you can taste all the different flavors and realize what you've been missing
No offense, but BMW doesn't care about you as an individual, no company does, not even the one you work for; that's just life. But what BMW does not care about is it legacy. Sure it cares about the M-brand legacy, like that is where their performance has only ever been, but that is not the case. And even with M, they've just whored it out to be a brand and not a purpose. Yup the new M4 is supposedly great from what the mags say, but the thing is almost double the price of a 4-series. And how seriously can you take a car company that makes a 5,000-pound SUV morphs it into something with less utility (like headroom), puts some big wheels and tires on it, code the drive train with stability control, and throw an M badge on it.

I'm done with BMW because of the oil life monitor issue built into my car and the total lack of not explaining it to me. The BMW of the '80s, the era of the company that really put it on the map, would NEVER had engineered such a thing, nor not provide the explanation if it did.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #25
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
No offense, but BMW doesn't care about you as an individual, no company does, not even the one you work for; that's just life. But what BMW does not care about is it legacy. Sure it cares about the M-brand legacy, like that is where their performance has only ever been, but that is not the case. And even with M, they've just whored it out to be a brand and not a purpose. Yup the new M4 is supposedly great from what the mags say, but the thing is almost double the price of a 4-series. And how seriously can you take a car company that makes a 5,000-pound SUV morphs it into something with less utility (like headroom), puts some big wheels and tires on it, code the drive train with stability control, and throw an M badge on it.

I'm done with BMW because of the oil life monitor issue built into my car and the total lack of not explaining it to me. The BMW of the '80s, the era of the company that really put it on the map, would NEVER had engineered such a thing, nor not provide the explanation if it did.
I totally agree with how BMW or any company doesn't care about individuals and I think it is kind of a ridiculous expectation for someone to think so. Business is all about money and the perception that people should be loyal was designed by companies to keep their customers (hotel, airlines, car rentals, grocery stores and BMW all do it to different extents)

To your second part about legacy; however, I half agree / half disagree and here is why. I don't necessarily believe a legacy for a car company should be such a 'concrete' idea as some believe (i.e. building 'racing vehicles' that have luxury elements) but rather I believe their legacy is around progressing forward in technology and being forward looking and relevant so that they can continue to sell cars to the 99% of drivers who aren't enthusiasts.

The part about M SUVs and just bolting on huge wheels, implanting a massive engine and giving it a slightly sportier design is spot on. BMW has sold these cars like hot cakes though which does allow them to spend money in R&D for other cars though. If I am not mistaken, this is what happened with the Porsche Cayenne, Porsche was so profitable off of that SUV and also the Panamera that they were able to funnel that revenue to to 918 team.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #26
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraslins View Post
I am secretly in love with 2015 RAM 2500 MegaCab Laramie Limited Diesel.
I had a 2004 Ram 2500 Laramie Sport Diesel and it was such an excellent truck. Retained it's value like you wouldn't believe.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #27
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4 View Post
I totally agree with how BMW or any company doesn't care about individuals and I think it is kind of a ridiculous expectation for someone to think so. Business is all about money and the perception that people should be loyal was designed by companies to keep their customers (hotel, airlines, car rentals, grocery stores and BMW all do it to different extents)

To your second part about legacy; however, I half agree / half disagree and here is why. I don't necessarily believe a legacy for a car company should be such a 'concrete' idea as some believe (i.e. building 'racing vehicles' that have luxury elements) but rather I believe their legacy is around progressing forward in technology and being forward looking and relevant so that they can continue to sell cars to the 99% of drivers who aren't enthusiasts.

The part about M SUVs and just bolting on huge wheels, implanting a massive engine and giving it a slightly sportier design is spot on. BMW has sold these cars like hot cakes though which does allow them to spend money in R&D for other cars though. If I am not mistaken, this is what happened with the Porsche Cayenne, Porsche was so profitable off of that SUV and also the Panamera that they were able to funnel that revenue to to 918 team.
Agreed. My comment regarding legacy had to do with offering well-driving simplistic cars and really bastardizing the M brand. I think BMW has chased Lexus to the point where its forgotten itself. Back in the day, when you bought a BMW, it made you a better driver simply because the car was able to do what you wanted, instinctively even if you didn't know you were doing it. Maybe with the electronic controls we now have (most pioneered by BMW ironically) we've past the point of cars making better drivers; but maybe not with the proliferation of I-drive and the like.

Loyalty to me is, does the manufacturer retain it's roots, that brought me to them in the first place. BMW not so much any more. I understand they must progress. My thought is BMW built itself on, "why do cars have to drive the way they do, why can't they be better driving?" The F10 and F30, from my experience steps back from that adage.

Good post...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #28
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

Why'd you say no offense with my post in quotes? We basically said the same thing....
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 12:23 AM   #29
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Having had BMW's for the past 12 years, I almost tried something different this time.

I was looking at several different cars.
The only thing that really appealed to me was a C63 AMG.
I did peek at some Audi S/RS models, but I never liked Audi's.
Also had a look at the Lexus ISF as that car sounds great.

At the end of the day I ended up with a 5 series, it may not be the most exciting exterior design, but I really did not like any of the competitions interiors.
Looks like I'm sticking with BMW for the next few years at least.
Appreciate 0