M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography Light L16 Camera (The Light Story)...

12-18-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Exclamation Light L16 Camera (The Light Story)...

I saw a "puff" piece on the L16 Camera on the morning's news, the other day. I'm curious if anyone has heard of or knows of this new camera... ? From what I understand it has 16 different lens in a small smart phone-type packaging.

"52 megapixel" camera, 16 lenes, $1,700 to $1,300!!! Ouch!

official website...
https://light.co/camera
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 09:37 PM   #2
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive

I've never used that camera but from the looks of the advertisement it looks more like it's being marketed for lifestyle and form factor than actual image quality. A lot of people looking like they are shooting a camera phone but not a lot of the photos they are taking.

Also a camera without a strap is a camera you will drop. 52 megapixels? Ok that great if you are printing the shots to wallpaper the inside of your house but how does the dynamic range compare to the top DSLR's currently on the market?

Resolution has mostly become a novelty. Most people share photos on social media and use as desktop wallpaper. You don't need a lot of resolution for that.

The price is a steal if it can even shoot an image that competes with my DSLR that is only 36 megapixel but cost $3200. That's without lenses. That camera comes with 16 lenses?
I have only 6 lenses at the moment that cost me about $14k.

So $1700-1300 is the cost of about 3 iPhones. That's cheap if it's really what you would hope it could be.
      12-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #3
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8

I'd be wary of this. I feel like this has vaporware written all over it. If it comes to fruition i can see this being a camera with high sharpness and high resolution, but with those tiny sensors, not a lot of dynamic range or not of much use once the sun goes down.
I'd hope for otherwise, but not something i would consider early adopting.

52MP is overkill. My 50MP 5DS files are so big that its actually cumbersome. Needed new cards and new storage.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2015, 03:59 AM   #4
GrantE83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83

I see the lead up to this camera, see the kick starter a little while back.

Looks impressive, but too much going on for me there, prefer 1 lens and a camera!
Appreciate 1