M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Test drove an M8 Convertble yesterday...

07-30-2020, 08:57 AM   #1
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: lots

Test drove an M8 Convertble yesterday...

I've bought many cars without driving them first. Part of the excitement for me is seeing and driving the car for the first time. I was ready to pull the trigger on an M8 Comp Convertible, marina blue with black interior that a dealer in a neighboring state has in stock. I wanted my dealer to appraise my AMG C63s Cabriolet so I drove a black regular M8 Convertible while I was there. I'm very glad I did.

I'm a car guy and love many different brands. Currently have a 2020 X6 M50i (wife's) as well as a couple Ferrari's and Corvettes so I'm not writing this to trigger anyone.

The M8 was disappointing. I was surprised that it was smaller on the inside than my C63s. It's a tad longer, wider and the roof line is lower. Sitting next to the C63s with the tops up, it makes the AMG took tall and skinny. The stance goes to the BMW.

What really turned me off was the driving dynamic. It was not an emotional drive. Even in Sport+, the car was too reserved and quiet. No barks from the exhaust on shifts (especially downshifts). It's like turning the bass off on your stereo. It also drove like the heavy car that it is. I really felt the weight in comparison the AMG which is still a porker but 334 lbs less than the M8. Power felt underwhelming (AMG is tuned to 600HP and 612TQ) but I think it was more of the lack of the exhaust note and the feeling that the car is on it's toes with it's hair raised on it's back. I drove it in the most aggressive setting but did not change the all wheel drive mode. That is probably part of it as the AMG will light the tires up at highway speeds.

So the car as built now is a no go for me. I like the way it looks (although more could have been done to make it "look" more like something worthy of it's price especially when most people won't notice a difference between an 840, 850, M8 or M8 Comp) and I like the tech (except the digital dash layout with the twin tach bars) but don't like the driving dynamics and the synthesized sound that I don't think an exhaust will fix. It will make it louder but not rumble that the AMG produces. On paper the M8 wins, in reality it misses the mark for me.

Maybe they will come out with a CS version and find a way to take some fat out but I doubt they can address the exhaust note. My AMG is a 2017 and the same car for 2020 has lost a lot of the burbles and backfires due to enviro weenies. We don't have too much longer to enjoy the sounds of V8's, V10's and V12's and eventually, we won't walk behind a car to hear what it sounds like. It's sad but it's reality. Until then, let's have fun!
Appreciate 3
Al Pină1838.50
stein_325i25051.00
      07-30-2020, 10:39 AM   #2
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

I'm in agreement with 812Superfast, at over $150K the car doesn't seem that special in the looks department, or driver engagement-wise. Nowadays a person can lease a new Aston Martin Vantage for roughly the same price of an M8. The BMW may have slightly better performance specs, but the curb appeal, brand prestige, and aural sensations you'd get from the Aston are superior in every measurable way.

I think BMW really dropped the ball with the 8-Series, especially with the way it's priced. This is painfully evident when you look at how poorly they've sold and the discounts needed to move the cars.
      07-30-2020, 12:47 PM   #3
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
We came from a 2018 E63s Edition 1. The car definitely looked the part and had hard acceleration with the appropriate soundtrack. Definitely a visceral driving experience but too stiff for my wife to enjoy.

Ultimately we also didn't need a 4 door and preferred a coupe as we have another convertible for top down driving and crap SUV for errands...

Late model BMW's are known for their quiet exhausts and fake sound inside, so I wasn't expecting much. In sport plus, the exhaust actually doesn't sound half bad but you can't hear it inside. No news.

Wife loves the ride quality and comfort of the M8. I like that it actually is very fast. Not just on paper as I had both the E63s and the M8, along with our AMG GTC roadster.
The car is faster than the AMG which also sports over 600HP and I don't see it having any issues dispensing of a tuned C63s with ease but it is a very different power delivery. Ours also has coil overs installed.

Even in sport plus, you still need to switch to S3 or D3 as the transmission is in lazy mode by default, no matter the engine mode. Then use 4WD sport...

Ultimately, one has to like the car more than the deal. Glad you drove it first...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 12:49 PM   #4
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Granted mine is a 2019 on the older software that makes the exhaust loud, and I turned off the "fake noises".
However, I respectfully disagree with 812Superfast about the MB vs BMW. Maybe because I was looking in 2019 instead of 2020, what a difference a year can make. Or maybe because I was comparing the AMG s63, and S560 to the only BMW available at the time, the m850i.

However, when I test drove the AMG and S class Mercedes convertibles, I got the opposite results compared to the BMW convertible.
I thought the MB was big and slow, with no pops or loud exhaust sounds of the m850i. I thought it was big and wide and handled like a land yatch, compared to the nimble sporty m850i.

But maybe that's due to the C class [it wasn't in my consideration] or due to 2019 vs 2020 car rules or software. but as they say, different strokes for different folks.

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 01:19 PM   #5
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Granted mine is a 2019 on the older software that makes the exhaust loud, and I turned off the "fake noises".
However, I respectfully disagree with 812Superfast about the MB vs BMW. Maybe because I was looking in 2019 instead of 2020, what a difference a year can make. Or maybe because I was comparing the AMG s63, and S560 to the only BMW available at the time, the m850i.

However, when I test drove the AMG and S class Mercedes convertibles, I got the opposite results compared to the BMW convertible.
I thought the MB was big and slow, with no pops or loud exhaust sounds of the m850i. I thought it was big and wide and handled like a land yatch, compared to the nimble sporty m850i.

But maybe that's due to the C class [it wasn't in my consideration] or due to 2019 vs 2020 car rules or software. but as they say, different strokes for different folks.

Hmm. A 2019 S63 will be faster than the M850 but the S-Class AMG's are meant to be subtle in terms of exhaust as luxury comes first with these.

C & E Class AMG's are meant to be aggressive and sound that way.

I remember one auto journalist calling the W213 E63s a fist looking for a face. Thought that explained the car well
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
      07-30-2020, 01:40 PM   #6
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Quote:

Hmm. A 2019 S63 will be faster than the M850 but the S-Class AMG's are meant to be subtle in terms of exhaust as luxury comes first with these.

C & E Class AMG's are meant to be aggressive and sound that way.

I remember one auto journalist calling the W213 E63s a fist looking for a face. Thought that explained the car well
the amg s63 was faster than the s560, but they both felt like my most comfy leather living room sofa.
The BMW felt more like a sports car, but it felt faster and louder.
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      07-30-2020, 02:55 PM   #7
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

The 8 is a hard car to compare

On one end of the spectrum It's not really an S competitor and on other end its not a Porsche 911 or AMG GT C coupe/convertible competitor

Very specific audience it seems and probably contributes to the poor sales. Jack of all trades but not exceptional at anything.
soooma1373.00
      07-30-2020, 03:23 PM   #8
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post

On one end of the spectrum It's not really an S competitor and on other end its not a Porsche 911 or AMG GT C coupe/convertible competitor

Very specific audience it seems and probably contributes to the poor sales. Jack of all trades but not exceptional at anything.
The much discussed problem with the car is that the BMW marketing department started to bring the 911 comparisons up at launch. That was neither the intended target nor does it compete with it.

This car was focused to compete with the S-Class coupe, no more and no less. The S-Class sold well at the time (2015) and was highly regarded (still like the looks)...

Problem is that BMW can make quick cars but aren't great at luxury. Plus now the S-Class coupe was axed due to a changing market. Not due to slow sales btw. S-Class coupes never had high sales but there isn't money to engage in new EV & self-driving tech and maintain a huge portfolio of niche cars...

Instance of bad timing, poor marketing a perhaps a understanding the demands of GT car buyers

That said, I don't think the car itself is poorly conceived. For a GT it drives great, is wicked fast and is dirt cheap to lease. Not a car we plan to keep for a long time but then that's the case with most other cars as well. Tech moves too fast and there are too many other cool toys around
Appreciate 3
LSM1118.00
stein_325i25051.00
      07-30-2020, 03:47 PM   #9
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post

The much discussed problem with the car is that the BMW marketing department started to bring the 911 comparisons up at launch. That was neither the intended target nor does it compete with it.

This car was focused to compete with the S-Class coupe, no more and no less. The S-Class sold well at the time (2015) and was highly regarded (still like the looks)...

Problem is that BMW can make quick cars but aren't great at luxury. Plus now the S-Class coupe was axed due to a changing market. Not due to slow sales btw. S-Class coupes never had high sales but there isn't money to engage in new EV & self-driving tech and maintain a huge portfolio of niche cars...

Instance of bad timing, poor marketing a perhaps a understanding the demands of GT car buyers

That said, I don't think the car itself is poorly conceived. For a GT it drives great, is wicked fast and is dirt cheap to lease. Not a car we plan to keep for a long time but then that's the case with most other cars as well. Tech moves too fast and there are too many other cool toys around
Well said
      07-30-2020, 04:33 PM   #10
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:

Totally Agreed, also to the original OP the M8 is not made to compete or to be compare with C63s Please I personally find some amg's to be too loud and creating that "ohhh look at me so loud car " infact I laugh to all the pony possers doing that.. The OP also mentions he Owns ferrari's and vettes (I dont know how you mix the two but thats a whole different subject) but really you have already an exoctic why have your daily or second, third car be a super loud one I dont get it and I have 3 cars one being an exotic and I like having that change of exhaust notes between my luxury but powerful daily and my toy exotic on the weeekend...

Lastlty change that Silly Name Mr. 812superfast its a BMW forum have some respect..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 05:07 PM   #11
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
the amg s63 was faster than the s560, but they both felt like my most comfy leather living room sofa.
The BMW felt more like a sports car, but it felt faster and louder.
Makes sense, the S-class will never be sporty, even in AMG guise it will always be a comfy cruiser that happens to get to 60 in under 4secs, but that's because the S-class is the luxury king, whether in AMG or non-AMG guise the car is all about luxury, not canyon carving, for that you have to go the C, E or GT.

While some like to compare the 8 to the S, I personally don't think they are in the same class at all. The 8 is more between the E and S but closer to the E in my opinion. The 8 is more just a 5er coupe (aka 6-series) but with a much higher price tag. Not a knock on the 8 series, as its still a good car, but the S-Class is just on a much different level of luxury and style, its a true flagship in coupe or sedan form.

Last edited by stein_325i; 07-30-2020 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 2
LSM1118.00
      07-30-2020, 10:02 PM   #12
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2 View Post
Totally Agreed, also to the original OP the M8 is not made to compete or to be compare with C63s Please I personally find some amg's to be too loud and creating that "ohhh look at me so loud car " infact I laugh to all the pony possers doing that.. The OP also mentions he Owns ferrari's and vettes (I dont know how you mix the two but thats a whole different subject) but really you have already an exoctic why have your daily or second, third car be a super loud one I dont get it and I have 3 cars one being an exotic and I like having that change of exhaust notes between my luxury but powerful daily and my toy exotic on the weeekend...

Lastlty change that Silly Name Mr. 812superfast its a BMW forum have some respect..
Who decides what car I compare the M8 to? I compared them because the C63s is what I have to compare it to. How is that illogical? I test drove the 8 and was not moved by it. You seem to take offense like a fanboy would. If you own an M8 and love it then that’s great! My AMG is not offensively loud like a modified mustang or corvette. It just sounds better IMO. My Ferrari’s are an 812SF and a 458 Spider and when talking about sound and driving experience are in different stratosphere. My Corvettes are classics and I appreciate them for what they are and mean to me.

As far as changing my name, would it be less offensive if I called myself BMWEater? Give me a break. Your suggestion is disrespectful. There is always one...
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
Wolfman64811.50
      07-30-2020, 10:13 PM   #13
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I think COVID is making folks a bit stir crazy. There will always be trolls. His name clearly indicates he never had any interest or intention of looking at any BMW. Just move along.

What we really need is a special forum where you have to enter your vin or proof of ownership to separate out the 8series guys from the rift raft.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 10:53 PM   #14
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep

Good lord people! I own a BMW! A 2020 X6 M50i that my wife drives. I like the tech and the way the car drives then I read the recent article in Car and Driver about the 8. Her previous car was an X6 as well. I also used to have a 2008 135i with a 6 speed that was a super fun car especially with the JB3 installed. Then an Audi R8, Audi S5 cab then the current C63S. I’m not mindlessly obedient to one brand. Also for my daily suv, the X7 M50i is at the top of my list and expect to be ordering one before the year is out. In fact, the dealer told me yesterday they want to build the one I specd and then try to sell it to me. That’s my other issue with the M8 because I could end up with three cars that basically all have the same interior.

In all fairness, I usually never like a new car after I replace the one I had. In every case, eventually I end up liking the new car more than the last one. I would expect the same if I got the M8 comp convertible but I’m just not ready yet. If they sweeten the flagship cash in August, I might just buy it and keep the AMG for a while just in case my past history doesn’t repeat itself.

Last edited by 812Superfast; 07-30-2020 at 11:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 09:47 AM   #15
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 812Superfast View Post
Who decides what car I compare the M8 to? I compared them because the C63s is what I have to compare it to. How is that illogical? I test drove the 8 and was not moved by it. You seem to take offense like a fanboy would. If you own an M8 and love it then that’s great! My AMG is not offensively loud like a modified mustang or corvette. It just sounds better IMO. My Ferrari’s are an 812SF and a 458 Spider and when talking about sound and driving experience are in different stratosphere. My Corvettes are classics and I appreciate them for what they are and mean to me.

As far as changing my name, would it be less offensive if I called myself BMWEater? Give me a break. Your suggestion is disrespectful. There is always one...
It was a pathetic stab at your user name... hell Ive been on forums since I was a kid with an AMG E55 hence ... Vic55 and its been across the board in all makes from Lambo to Bentley. I will never change the 55 (I cant drive 55 LOL) and you should be proud of the 812 number if you have it or not (not calling you out)
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 4
stein_325i25051.00
LSM1118.00
Wolfman64811.50
      07-31-2020, 09:53 AM   #16
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Good lord people! I own a BMW! A 2020 X6 M50i that my wife drives. I like the tech and the way the car drives then I read the recent article in Car and Driver about the 8. Her previous car was an X6 as well. I also used to have a 2008 135i with a 6 speed that was a super fun car especially with the JB3 installed. Then an Audi R8, Audi S5 cab then the current C63S. I'm not mindlessly obedient to one brand. Also for my daily suv, the X7 M50i is at the top of my list and expect to be ordering one before the year is out. In fact, the dealer told me yesterday they want to build the one I specd and then try to sell it to me. That's my other issue with the M8 because I could end up with three cars that basically all have the same interior.

In all fairness, I usually never like a new car after I replace the one I had. In every case, eventually I end up liking the new car more than the last one. I would expect the same if I got the M8 comp convertible but I'm just not ready yet. If they sweeten the flagship cash in August, I might just buy it and keep the AMG for a while just in case my past history doesn't repeat itself.
If you didn't like the M8 I wouldn't get it. Not everyone likes the same car and the forum members will hopefully understand that, you went, you looked and you shared your experience. Sounds like you need something compact and engaging but still with a nice V8 and convertible top. Not going to lie, that's a really hard niche to find, the C63 may be the only car that qualifies for all of those criteria.
LSM1118.00
      07-31-2020, 10:10 AM   #17
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep

JStein55 You're right. I did my due diligence and it wasn't for me at this time. It's a beautiful car for sure and makes many people happy.

Vic55 My forum name over the years was 89vette going back to my first fun car I bought used when I was 27. I still use it on most forums. I'd like to see some pictures of the cars listed in your profile.

This is my 812 spec'd and ordered in November 2018 and took delivery in July 2019. I put 900 whole miles on it.
Attached Images

Last edited by 812Superfast; 07-31-2020 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 4
stein_325i25051.00
LSM1118.00
Wolfman64811.50
Vic5518965.50
      07-31-2020, 10:33 AM   #18
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
JStein55 You're right. I did my due diligence and it wasn't for me at this time. It's a beautiful car for sure and makes many people happy.

Vic55 My forum name over the years was 89vette going back to my first fun car I bought used when I was 27. I still use it on most forums. I'd like to see some pictures of the cars listed in your profile.

This is my 812 spec'd and ordered in November 2018 and took delivery in July 2019. I put 900 whole miles on it.
she's a beauty!
      07-31-2020, 11:24 AM   #19
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Most of us are car enthusiasts anyway. I don't currently own a BMW but I find bimmerpost the best forum for discussions. I've owned over 50 BMW's but again not currently. The discussions here and experiences with different brands I believe is what makes it great
      07-31-2020, 01:06 PM   #20
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:

I have had alot of cars over the past 12 years--- these are the ones still hanging around LOL

my aged GTS--- 5 years old now

My R8 (with stock rims)

M5

Porsche GTS

And my keeper

And because you have a C63S-- this was mine back in Dec of 2017 before I dumped it... tuned, kw's, resonator pull, spacers, etc

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
LSM1118.00
      07-31-2020, 05:31 PM   #21
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:

I have had alot of cars over the past 12 years--- these are the ones still hanging around LOL

my aged GTS--- 5 years old now

My R8 (with stock rims)

M5

Porsche GTS

And my keeper

And because you have a C63S-- this was mine back in Dec of 2017 before I dumped it... tuned, kw's, resonator pull, spacers, etc

Beautiful cars! Love then all. Have to say my favs are

991.2 GtS and amg gts and R8!

Love the C63 coupe as well always have. Still looks amazing even tho it's about to be redone
      07-31-2020, 06:37 PM   #22
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep

Nice cars! The new C63 is supposedly getting a 4 pot plus electric. Sad.
Appreciate 0