M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Darn! They forgot surround view at the factory.

07-29-2020, 02:54 PM   #1
ybewiz82
Rep
Drives: F83, F15, G16

Darn! They forgot surround view at the factory.

I picked the car up on Jan 01, 2020. Dravit Grey M850i Gran Coupe. So been with it 7 months now. Impulse buy on a rainy night without even test driving it or looking at it carefully. Did not even think to check that Driving Assistance Package 2 meant that it was actually worse than having a Driving Assistance Package. Drove it home in heavy rain and realized wtf. Did not care to go back to the dealer because I willingly signed for it. Struggled with it for 2-3 months then decided to do something about it.

Anyways I have embarked on a retrofit journey, mind you this is a lease, but I am OCD and to a certain degree embarrassed that I made such an amateur error in my late 30s after leasing/owning so many cars in the past. Whatever! I put on a dunce hat and moved on with my life.

There are stories of parts shortages and all that have led BMW to produce the highest of their series model without a surround view module which was only a $500 difference in price. I even left a "negative feedback" when BMW sent me a survey email and talked to a rep when they called for a survey as well stating my grievance. They offered to make amends and give me a M8 GC with every single feature in the book so I can walk away happy but as a gentleman, I politely declined. If you are that naïve, I am kidding. No one cared to do anything from BMW. Anyways lets get to business.

I have managed to order all components for less than a thousand dollars, I even managed to get the surround views to show up on the screen after coding 5DN on esys replacing it with 3AG. The issue was though the image of the car was coming up with a spy car wrap instead of a plain solid color. Also a couple files on the module were not found, so I thought to flash the icam2 module and its been acting up since, it is a work in progress and when I am done with the successful retrofit, I will post a diy for any other saps that would like to redeem themselves.

In the meantime, I figured something else out. Did you know that even if you only have 3AG as an option and 12 proximity sensors (6 front, 6 back), you can actually get Back UP/Reverse Assistant and Parking Assistant! I know its not quite the surround view but hey its something. If interested I can let you know how its done, provided you know how to use esys or willing to learn online.
Appreciate 3
      07-29-2020, 03:04 PM   #2
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybewiz82 View Post
I picked the car up on Jan 01, 2020. Dravit Grey M850i Gran Coupe. So been with it 7 months now. Impulse buy on a rainy night without even test driving it or looking at it carefully. Did not even think to check that Driving Assistance Package 2 meant that it was actually worse than having a Driving Assistance Package. Drove it home in heavy rain and realized wtf. Did not care to go back to the dealer because I willingly signed for it. Struggled with it for 2-3 months then decided to do something about it.

Anyways I have embarked on a retrofit journey, mind you this is a lease, but I am OCD and to a certain degree embarrassed that I made such an amateur error in my late 30s after leasing/owning so many cars in the past. Whatever! I put on a dunce hat and moved on with my life.

There are stories of parts shortages and all that have led BMW to produce the highest of their series model without a surround view module which was only a $500 difference in price. I even left a "negative feedback" when BMW sent me a survey email and talked to a rep when they called for a survey as well stating my grievance. They offered to make amends and give me a M8 GC with every single feature in the book so I can walk away happy but as a gentleman, I politely declined. If you are that naïve, I am kidding. No one cared to do anything from BMW. Anyways lets get to business.

I have managed to order all components for less than a thousand dollars, I even managed to get the surround views to show up on the screen after coding 5DN on esys replacing it with 3AG. The issue was though the image of the car was coming up with a spy car wrap instead of a plain solid color. Also a couple files on the module were not found, so I thought to flash the icam2 module and its been acting up since, it is a work in progress and when I am done with the successful retrofit, I will post a diy for any other saps that would like to redeem themselves.

In the meantime, I figured something else out. Did you know that even if you only have 3AG as an option and 12 proximity sensors (6 front, 6 back), you can actually get Back UP/Reverse Assistant and Parking Assistant! I know its not quite the surround view but hey its something. If interested I can let you know how its done, provided you know how to use esys or willing to learn online.
I would like to learn eyesys to code advance stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #3
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

I truly admire your principles and your determination (and your technical expertise), but I wonder what would have happened if you had returned to the dealer the very next day and said, 'Hey, wait a minute. This thing is missing a key component. Sell [lease] me another one right now, charge me a little more for it. You'll have a very happy and loyal customer, and I'll praise you ever-more to BMW and everyone everywhere on social media."
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #4
ybewiz82
Rep

Only thing holding me back was the fact that it was the only Dravit Gray GC on the lot and they were backordered.

Your advice is rock solid though.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
I truly admire your principles and your determination (and your technical expertise), but I wonder what would have happened if you had returned to the dealer the very next day and said, 'Hey, wait a minute. This thing is missing a key component. Sell [lease] me another one right now, charge me a little more for it. You'll have a very happy and loyal customer, and I'll praise you ever-more to BMW and everyone everywhere on social media."
I think bloozemanAZ had that exact problem and did that.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 03:43 PM   #6
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybewiz82 View Post
Only thing holding me back was the fact that it was the only Dravit Gray GC on the lot and they were backordered.

Your advice is rock solid though.
I think that is how bloozman had to swap that one for a tanzanite.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 06:33 PM   #7
fl650
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 & 2016 BMW X1

It was because of this forum, and bloozemanAZ's posts in particular, that I didn't fall into the same trap. People waiting until later in the year to purchase their cars are going to find an INORDINATE number of vehicles equipped with the Driving Assistance Package 2 for $500, and NOT the Driving Assistance Package 1 at $1100. (Interestingly, the Drivers Assistance Pro Package for $1700 is found on almost all cars and is something that I could've done without.) After driving a 650i coupe for many years, I'm now dependent on the mirror-mounted cameras for checking ground clearance when pulling into parking spaces. Absence of the ground cameras and B&W audio were dealbreakers for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 07:26 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I think bloozemanAZ had that exact problem and did that.
Pretty much the same case as from July to December of last year the BMW NA website configurator (aka Build Your Own) only included the watered down Driving Assistance Package 2 (ZDX) vs the full Driving Assistance Package (ZDA). Hence, when my SA converted what was to be my original 2019 M850i order (I decided to pull the trigger in June but had to wait for the 2020s) using the online configurator the order ultimately placed in August for my 1 of 5 NA build slots for a 2020 Coupe had the ZDX package.

I did not catch the faux pas until late August when I realized that the order was missing the 3D View which I tracked back to ZDX vs ZDA. However, once my SA confirmed that ZDA was still alive and well (there never was a part shortage, etc.) it was too late to modify my order given the Individual lock date had passed. My SA escalated within the dealership and one of the upper echelon in it had a relationship with the person whom owns the Individual program for NA. However, that escalation died as the factory sets that cutoff "lock" date and there was no way around it.

Thus, through further escalations with BMW NA as my dealership made it clear I would not accept the car with ZDX I ended up with an expedited build slot for October and that is how I ended up with the Tanzanite Blue M850i Coupe as that was the only material change I made from the initial order outside of eradicating the ZDX stupidity. I'm still a fan of Dravit Grey but ultimately it was fortuitous as once I saw a stripped down 2019 in Tanzanite Blue at a different dealer I made the color choice swap and never looked back.

All of that said the story did not end there. I still stayed in touch with my SA and dealership regarding the BMW NA website faux pas through November. They kept escalating especially since the M8 configurator had the same issue and whom the hell would want to buy a $150K car with a watered down Driving Assistance Package? There were were at least a couple of members that ordered 8-series with the faux pas but were able to modify the order in time based on the info shared.

Ultimately in November BMW NA acknowledged the issue and updated the site in mid-December and eradicated ZDX completely for the 8-series in the configurator. It is worth noting that for the 2021s ZDX has been eradicated completely as well. To this day I'm still not sure what BMW was thinking and my SA joked with me that in his 15+ experience it's far from the first time they did similar faux pas with other package bundling, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 08:30 PM   #9
fl650
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The bigger question is why 3-D View isn't standard on the M850i and M8. I can understand it being an option on the 840i, but certainly not the other 8-series variants. Many of the M8s currently on the ground must have been in production before the Drivers Assistance Package 2 was discontinued. If/when potential buyers become better informed, these are the vehicles that dealers are going to have to discount even further. Personally, I would never buy one. Repeatedly curbing a 20 inch wheel can get expensive.
Appreciate 1
Tejael64.00
      07-29-2020, 08:56 PM   #10
ybewiz82
Rep

I agree, this is the last time I ever make that mistake. Almost seemed a little snooty on my part to assume that a surround view system would unquestionably be present in the build.
That is the reason I started this post to help anyone in the same situation atleast enable auto park and back up assist while I work on the 3D view. Thus far no one has reached out so I am assuming there aren’t many others who made a compromise like I did or don’t care enough about 3D view. Perhaps too early to tell since I only posted today.

Last edited by ybewiz82; 07-29-2020 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 09:09 PM   #11
fl650
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

In order to have 3-D View, the vehicle has to have cameras mounted on the undersurface of each of the side mirrors. It's more than just a software fix.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 09:52 PM   #12
ybewiz82
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl650 View Post
In order to have 3-D View, the vehicle has to have cameras mounted on the undersurface of each of the side mirrors. It's more than just a software fix.
You are absolutely right.
This is what you need for 5DN to work:
1) 1x ICAM2 compatible module. It is mostly the software revision date that counts. (All round vision/TRSVC)
2) 4x ICAM2-S camera modules. The reverse camera module included is coded for the 3AG and has the TRSVC trigger but the module itself is a ICAM2-R. So unfortunately that cannot be repurposed for the 5DN.
3) Wiring Harness for the surround view. Yes, one exists and its less than 150 bucks.
4) Lower covers for the side view mirrors with the hole drilled in. For whatever reason BMW chose to not have a knockout or camera mount screws in the 3AG version.
5) The right sized male and female connectors.
6) You need to drill a hole in the front grille. Fortunately there is a marking for the camera location.
7) Reference of wiring diagrams which is found on newtis.info. You need to tap into the BDC, PMA, SAS modules and fuse box.
8) Of course wires need to go through doors, rear and to the front through the firewall. Honestly all that is the easy part, time consuming but easy.
9) Miscellaneous supplies; fuse; wire sheath etc.

The only real PIA has been the TRSVC module, its not seamless as I thought with the CAFD injection in esys. The first one I got didnt work for this chassis without extensive flashing like the seller claimed it might. The second module was off a G14, it worked but I might have over eagerly flashed it thinking it did the trick and now its kinda stalling on me. I would have just dished out $800 bucks and bought a virgin TRSVC but BMW is out and no ETA. So I have been buying them from Europe for as little as $100. With everything purchased to date I am still under $900.00.

The thing is that since I enabled the Auto Park and Back up Assist, I have lost the same drive to get surround view to work. I still miss the features but thanks to Reverse assist out of the garage and the fact that all the proximity sensors are showing range now, I have been able to (knock on wood) never jeopardize a single wheel or the front bumper. I tell you what though. Shame on you BMW for not enabling Auto Park and Back up assistant on the 3AG (Only rear view camera) models from the factory like mine when you dont need surround view cameras for those features to work.

Last edited by ybewiz82; 07-29-2020 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2020, 10:20 PM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl650 View Post
The bigger question is why 3-D View isn't standard on the M850i and M8. I can understand it being an option on the 840i, but certainly not the other 8-series variants. Many of the M8s currently on the ground must have been in production before the Drivers Assistance Package 2 was discontinued. If/when potential buyers become better informed, these are the vehicles that dealers are going to have to discount even further. Personally, I would never buy one. Repeatedly curbing a 20 inch wheel can get expensive.
Completely agree but it is just a BMW money grab for options which is sad for their flagship model line. Granted Comfort Access is standard which I had major heartburn over having to pay for that on my wife's 2017 X5. My last two Lexus sport sedans dating back to 2006 included that as standard along with most of today's $30K and above automobile market segment. Granted BMW did get their head out of their asses for the 2020s and included more standard that were options in the 2019s, e.g., heated/cooling seats.

Speaking of the Drivers Assistance Package (aka ZDA) most of those features are now standard for the $30K plus automobile market segment as well. In fact Ford has included their CO-PILOT360 equivalent solution in all of their models as standard since 2019. Granted Ford is still climbing their way into the market segment BMW plays in but rest assured a Cobra GT500 comes loaded at the base price from a drivers assistance point of view.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 11:26 PM   #14
ybewiz82
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Completely agree but it is just a BMW money grab for options which is sad for their flagship model line. Granted Comfort Access is standard which I had major heartburn over having to pay for that on my wife's 2017 X5. My last two Lexus sport sedans dating back to 2006 included that as standard along with most of today's $30K and above automobile market segment. Granted BMW did get their head out of their asses for the 2020s and included more standard that were options in the 2019s, e.g., heated/cooling seats.

Speaking of the Drivers Assistance Package (aka ZDA) most of those features are now standard for the $30K plus automobile market segment as well. In fact Ford has included their CO-PILOT360 equivalent solution in all of their models as standard since 2019. Granted Ford is still climbing their way into the market segment BMW plays in but rest assured a Cobra GT500 comes loaded at the base price from a drivers assistance point of view.
Yes, that drives me nuts. My F150 Platinum had more features in that regard. Why the heck dont we have massage seats in these cars?? I was messing with the programming on ESYS and had a feature open in the well being modes where it added massage. For a second I was pumped because all it does is move air around the lumbar. I thought I cracked something but it didnt work. Tells you something though, that they had planned on it or it was maybe sharing something from the 7er. I dont know how Germans do flagship man. I had auto park assist, rear massage and heated and cooled seats, reverse camera in my 2007 Lexus LS460L. Not comparing but point is even Lexus used to be skimpy maybe still is with features. To a certain extent its down right embarrassing to not have this feature on the car. I mean, you had a parts issue, okay halt production until they become available. Its not like there was such a crazy demand for them at that price point. There are so many 8s on dealers right now.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:56 PM   #15
tg_vegas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW B8 Alpina

OMG, Deja Vu !

Reading this post made me feel better and worse at the same time. Almost the exact thing happened to me.

I bought an M8 with all the right features, including the Drivers Assistance Package. I really valued, and liked the 3D cameras. One kind of strange "feature" was that I could monitor my M8 while it was in for service.

Long story short, I got out of that car due to issues and replaced it. I decided to upgrade to an M8C at the same time. I saw the DA2 package and just assumed it included the DA package. Boy was I disappointed and remain so to this day. But, just as you state, it was my own fault for not reading the fine print. I was so happy to unload my lemon and get into a replacement car that I missed the details.

Your post is very encouraging and with your help, I'd love to correct my errors! Thanks for this post!!!!!!!!

Last edited by tg_vegas; 08-06-2020 at 01:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 01:35 AM   #16
tg_vegas
Enlisted Member
Rep

gotta give some thanks!

30 minutes, two phone calls, and $15, and I've got an M8 what Auto Park, Backup assist, and a greatly improved parking sensor system. While it will never replace the missing cameras, it does help a ton. I could not have done this without help from ybewiz82.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 08:00 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_vegas View Post
30 minutes, two phone calls, and $15, and I've got an M8 what Auto Park, Backup assist, and a greatly improved parking sensor system. While it will never replace the missing cameras, it does help a ton. I could not have done this without help from ybewiz82.

This is a 3 thumbs up post as it just highlights the value of the information sharing in the forum to help our 8-series brethren in fighting the somewhat asinine decisions made by BMW
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 09:16 PM   #18
austinsl
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i, M8 Competition

tg, what changes did you make to your car or what did you do?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 01:17 PM   #19
tg_vegas
Enlisted Member
Rep

Learned how to use ESYS and enabled Autopark, Backup Assist, and added all of the 12 sensors to the Parking Assistant. All of these are lost when you get DA2 instead of DA.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #20
tg_vegas
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm now going to code in a bunch of the other nice to haves that are available once you figure out E-Sys and have the courage to use it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 02:28 PM   #21
austinsl
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i, M8 Competition

I was curious because I also have DA2. When I saw the posts about no more convertibles, I did a search for what I wanted. I narrowed my choice down to Metigo Red. I then saw the competitions had the option for the two-tone black/beige interior, and so I searched for a Metigo Competition convertible with the black/beige interior. The car is very well optioned and I saw it had two Driver's Assistance Packages, so I wrongly assumed it would be the way I would order it.

It's water under the bridge now and I don't regret my purchase. DA2 is superior to the technology on my previous 2010 M6 convertible, so I'm not complaining. Plus, I'm glad I have a car with the competition package. I was just curious. But, everyone is right, at this price point, all of these features should be standard.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 10:44 AM   #22
tg_vegas
Enlisted Member
Rep

Follow the OPs comments on this thread and you can nicely improve the DA2 package. You just need a fairly simple coding update.
Appreciate 0