M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion AC Issues ??

06-15-2020, 07:13 PM   #67
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadzM8 View Post
Tg-Vegas

I took delivery of an M8 competition Coupe yesterday. AC worked intermittently on way home. Today I only have warm air coming through the events. Even turning the temperature down to max cold in the climate control menu settings has no effect. Engine was up to temp. Turning on Max A/C had no impact. Turning car on and off also had no impact. I feel your pain. Its 90 degrees in NC today and its no fun without AC even in this car! Taking it in tomorrow to let them have a look. A/C function clearly showing in screen. I am out of ideas!
If you haven't already try going into the main menu via I drive and re-adjusting everything from there (that's what I did). When you went to MAX AC did it automatically engage recirc? If not then try that after going into the main menu. fwiw, once I had everything reset/re-adjusted to my liking it's worked great but I haven't played around going back to auto from my manual preferences, changing flow settings etc. Based upon my experience I'm sticking with a software glitch as the true cause of all this, as I also wrote if they replaced the OP's M8 with another one, they had to have checked his compressor etc first.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2020, 07:14 PM   #68
DadzM8
Rep
Drives: 2020 Alpine White M8 Comp

Quote:
I just took my new M8C to the dealer this morning. They tested the vac/recharge and the compressor. The compressor was malfunctioning. My local dealer (where I did not get the car from) told me these parts have to come from Germany and their is currently a 3-4 week back order on compressors for 8 series ( what does that tell you?).

The dealer that I purchased the car have been outstanding. They are taking a compressor from a new M8C model that has just been delivered (and where the air con is functioning perfectly) and putting that in my vehicle to prevent the car from being garaged for an extended period of time. They are traveling 3h to pick up my car in a covered transporter, then taking it back to the dealership to do the fix. Apparently this is a 6-8h procedure with taking the compressor out of one and into another as it is not that accessible. They then have to bring the car back in the covered transporter and finally get back to the dealership. Service above and beyond! I think it is the right thing to do, but not all dealers would go the extra mile. Clearly a problem with these units in these cars. Wow.
Just looked. My build date was December 2019.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #69
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

One other thing, if the stop start is not disabled it may affect the AC especially at lower speeds!

Appreciate 1
      06-15-2020, 07:23 PM   #70
DadzM8
Rep
Drives: 2020 Alpine White M8 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
One other thing, if the stop start is not disabled it may affect the AC especially at lower speeds!
Thats just not right in a $160K car!

I always disable auto on/off on all my cars as it drives me nuts, but interesting that you have observed that. Thanks for the suggestion.

This is my 7th Bimmer. The 2018 M5 never had any problems. I wonder whether they have just over complicated the entire operating system with the last version of iDrive?
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2020, 08:43 PM   #71
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats just not right in a $160K car!

I always disable auto on/off on all my cars as it drives me nuts, but interesting that you have observed that. Thanks for the suggestion.

This is my 7th Bimmer. The 2018 M5 never had any problems. I wonder whether they have just over complicated the entire operating system with the last version of iDrive?
It's just a thought as it may affect certain things like eco mode does...who knows.

I do know if you reset everything via idrive it may just do the trick like it did for me...

Appreciate 1
      06-15-2020, 08:45 PM   #72
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

For those mentioning their build dates, it would be great to add it to your sig or info, as this certainly won't be the last time we all may need to reference/compare them.

Appreciate 1
      06-16-2020, 06:58 PM   #73
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Vert, 2021 X5 M50i

Adding another data point for the M8 vs M850i on the AC. I've got a relatively early 2019 build M850iC and the AC is flawless. I've always felt BMW AC really sucks. My wife's LX570 blows super cold and the last 5 BMW's I've had never came close, until I got the M850iC. Long trips, short trips, 115 degrees, it just works. And I am also knocking on wood, double skipping over lines in the sidewalk, etc. I don’t want to jinx it either, first 'real' AC I've had in a BMW.

But my previous F90 M5 was terrible. It was 'within specifications' which means you are hot when it's over 95. Max AC would barely make a sheet of paper wiggle in front of the vents. My M4 was also really bad. Both would dim the cooling on engine load. I never had it shut off like the OP, but it wasn't great. I wonder if that is a common M car trait. Can't believe the components wouldn't be the same for an AC across the model line, but who knows.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2020, 10:03 AM   #74
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack13 View Post
Update, Got a call from dealer today, they are saying it needs a compressor
I just took my new M8C to the dealer this morning. They tested the vac/recharge and the compressor. The compressor was malfunctioning. My local dealer (where I did not get the car from) told me these parts have to come from Germany and their is currently a 3-4 week back order on compressors for 8 series ( what does that tell you?).

The dealer that I purchased the car have been outstanding. They are taking a compressor from a new M8C model that has just been delivered (and where the air con is functioning perfectly) and putting that in my vehicle to prevent the car from being garaged for an extended period of time. They are traveling 3h to pick up my car in a covered transporter, then taking it back to the dealership to do the fix. Apparently this is a 6-8h procedure with taking the compressor out of one and into another as it is not that accessible. They then have to bring the car back in the covered transporter and finally get back to the dealership. Service above and beyond! I think it is the right thing to do, but not all dealers would go the extra mile. Clearly a problem with these units in these cars. Wow.
Message me which dealership that was. Holly cow, I want to work with them.
Appreciate 2
dds007411.00
      06-17-2020, 05:15 PM   #75
cactusjack13
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

My a/c is fixed, compressor was replaced, was at the dealer for about 4 days
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2020, 07:26 PM   #76
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack13 View Post
My a/c is fixed, compressor was replaced, was at the dealer for about 4 days
Glad to hear it and this makes sense. I still for the life of me can't understand why BMW replaced the OP's car so quickly w/o doing this type of thing, and now he's having the same issue again and with no resolution

Appreciate 1
      06-17-2020, 09:56 PM   #77
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

Exactly to my point in other posts that the dealer "owns" the true customer obsession (aka satisfaction) aspect. Glad to hear that yours is stepping up for that as it drives true loyalty no differently than mine has done to the point I placed my M850i order with them. Even then BMW F'd it up not once but twice yet they went above and beyond to ensure my total satisfaction. The other dealers out there that do not understand this turn into a "one and done" single buy which is absolutely short sighted in the "long game" strategy.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2020, 10:06 PM   #78
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchtion View Post
Adding another data point for the M8 vs M850i on the AC. I've got a relatively early 2019 build M850iC and the AC is flawless. I've always felt BMW AC really sucks. My wife's LX570 blows super cold and the last 5 BMW's I've had never came close, until I got the M850iC. Long trips, short trips, 115 degrees, it just works. And I am also knocking on wood, double skipping over lines in the sidewalk, etc. I don’t want to jinx it either, first 'real' AC I've had in a BMW.

But my previous F90 M5 was terrible. It was 'within specifications' which means you are hot when it's over 95. Max AC would barely make a sheet of paper wiggle in front of the vents. My M4 was also really bad. Both would dim the cooling on engine load. I never had it shut off like the OP, but it wasn't great. I wonder if that is a common M car trait. Can't believe the components wouldn't be the same for an AC across the model line, but who knows.
Right there with you as my prior Lexus sedans (across 3 generations) had flawless A/C vs my wife's 2017 X5. So far (knock on wood) the 2020 M850i coupe has flawless A/C as well.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2020, 01:08 PM   #79
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

What I'm not sure about is how much of this is new v old cars (all new cars seem to have some problems) vs brands.
But I can definitely say that BMW seems to have more problems than Lexus, or others.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2020, 09:47 AM   #80
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Looks like the 8-series is not the only car affected but possibly all V8 BMW's (I4/6's use different compressors).

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1729657
RJC-11281.00
      06-22-2020, 08:43 PM   #81
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It will be interesting to see the extent of the serial numbers/production dates affected in the TSB issued, as according to that link apparently there was a bad batch of compressors in a recent production run. In addition, apparently the condenser needs to be replaced as well due to the possibility of the bad compressor displacing metal shavings into the condenser...I read there's also another part possibly needed and sure hope it's not the evaporator as they normally require dash removal.

This again mystifies me why BMW replaced the OP's new M8 with another new M8 which had the same issue...does BMW know what the F-they're doing?

Last edited by RJC-1; 06-22-2020 at 09:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2020, 03:08 PM   #82
tg_vegas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW B8 Alpina

Quote:
Tg-Vegas

I took delivery of an M8 competition Coupe yesterday. AC worked intermittently on way home. Today I only have warm air coming through the events. Even turning the temperature down to max cold in the climate control menu settings has no effect. Engine was up to temp. Turning on Max A/C had no impact. Turning car on and off also had no impact. I feel your pain. Its 90 degrees in NC today and its no fun without AC even in this car! Taking it in tomorrow to let them have a look. A/C function clearly showing in screen. I am out of ideas!
Virtually the same experience I had. My first M8 was in the shop three times in the first 30 days for that problem. BMW ultimately bought the car back. My second M8 lasted about 300 miles before the same problem. However, this time they seem to have fixed it. New compressor and condenser. I'm driving a freezer now!
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2020, 11:18 PM   #83
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_vegas View Post
Virtually the same experience I had. My first M8 was in the shop three times in the first 30 days for that problem. BMW ultimately bought the car back. My second M8 lasted about 300 miles before the same problem. However, this time they seem to have fixed it. New compressor and condenser. I'm driving a freezer now!
Glad they didn't need to do the evaporator too.

Appreciate 1
      06-25-2020, 01:23 PM   #84
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
So we got our car back today from a software update (now 03.2020.58). Remote view now works too

According to our SA, there is an issue with the 8 series with S63 engine where either the evaporator or condenser freezes up and then the AC stops cooling even though equipment is working and Compressor is good.
According to him, there is a software fix coming to address this.

The text reads a bit different but here it is...
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      06-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #85
Bigtime78
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
So we got our car back today from a software update (now 03.2020.58). Remote view now works too

According to our SA, there is an issue with the 8 series with S63 engine where either the evaporator or condenser freezes up and then the AC stops cooling even though equipment is working and Compressor is good.
According to him, there is a software fix coming to address this.

The text reads a bit different but here it is...
I have an G05 M50i and having this exact issue. The description of the symptoms, behaviour, and the possible cause make complete sense. All of the individual components are working correctly but the sensor/software is allowing a freeze to occur. Kudos to the technicians for taking the time to fully diagnose the issue.

This will save wasted repairs for parts that are not needed as well as not currently available. Plus hopefully speed up the time to resolve. Its hot out there!! 😁
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2020, 02:09 PM   #86
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

max AC button seems to fix it.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2020, 11:34 AM   #87
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
So, even with their workaround procedure the AC isn't working reliably. It works, then 30 minutes later during another drive it doesn't, then again it works.
90 degree plus with high humidity here right now so this is not cool.
Wife is furious and refuses to drive the car. Spoke to our SA and he offered to give us a new 8 series coupe (no M) for a couple of weeks so we have something to drive while they figure this out.

I truly appreciate the gesture (SA has been nothing but great) but it misses the point that we have a car that works unreliably with no immediate fix in sight...
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25051.00
dds007411.00
      07-03-2020, 11:39 AM   #88
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
So, even with their workaround procedure the AC isn't working reliably. It works, then 30 minutes later during another drive it doesn't, then again it works.
90 degree plus with high humidity here right now so this is not cool.
Wife is furious and refuses to drive the car. Spoke to our SA and he offered to give us a new 8 series coupe (no M) for a couple of weeks so we have something to drive while they figure this out.

I truly appreciate the gesture (SA has been nothing but great) but it misses the point that we have a car that works unreliably with no immediate fix in sight...
Wow that's awful to hear, especially considering its summer and many of the vehicles affected are $100k+ that owners are likely paying for every mont despite having a serious issue that causes them not even want to drive it. BMW definitely needs to get on top of the issue. Hopefully your dealer will be able to find a fix in a decent amount of time.