M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Brands Hatch vs. Dravit Grey Differences?

11-19-2019, 08:43 PM   #1
Wristdoc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8C, 2019 X7 50i

Brands Hatch vs. Dravit Grey Differences?

I am debating purchasing a new M8 in one of these two colors. Also considering Sonic Speed Blue but that is for another thread.

I currently have an X6 M in Donington Grey and love the way the color changes in different light. I have read lots of descriptions, and seen lots of pictures, of Dravit Grey and it seems to have similar characteristics...ie a wide variation in hues. I think I want to mix it up with something other than DG.

What I haven't seen is any good description of Brands Hatch Grey. It looks very metallic in photos and more "grey" than the Dravit from what I have seen.

Can anyone who has seen the two colors (or even just the Brands Hatch) give a description of the differences? Is the BH darker than the Dravit or lighter, in general?

I know that color is a very subjective thing but I would appreciate any advice. I am in a location that would make it hard to go find one in a similar color, at least as of yet.

Thanks!

David
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 11:06 PM   #2
chador
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 GC Competition 2020

I am facing this same dilemma. I currently have a San Marino Blue m6, and i wanted something a bit different so I was hoping to get a grey color.

But the Dravit Greys that I have seen in person seem very flat to me. I am not sure why it's called a metallic color - it is a dead flat grey with no metallic sheen at all (at least to my eyes). Its just another darker version of these these flat off-whites/greys that have become popular in the past 3 years on Audis/Porsches. Its still a great color, but I don't care for it.

My previous car was a Singapore Grey M6, and that was a beautiful dark grey with some blue notes.

I have not seen and Brands Hatch in the flesh to comment.

I'll likely just end up getting the Marina Bay Blue, which is very similar to what I have now (San Marino)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 07:07 AM   #3
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

When Dravit Gray gets a thin layer of dirt, it does flatten out. But when it's clean...wowser...it absolutely dazzles.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
Wing Co239.00
      11-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #4
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

To give an idea here is our painted front reflectors in Brands Hatch Grey Metallic

Next to Donington Grey and Black Sapphire
      11-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
To give an idea here is our painted front reflectors in Brands Hatch Grey Metallic

Thanks for posting! Could you please put Brands Hatch Grey next to Dravit Grey for comparison if possible. Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #6
Wristdoc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post

Thanks! Great idea to post those...it looks like BH has a lot of metallic flake in it, which I love. I'd also like to see it next to Dravit if you get a chance.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #7
chador
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 GC Competition 2020

I stopped by my local dealer and took some pictures in the wonderful LA sun of Dravit. It does have a nice sparkle that you need to get up close to see, or be in direct sunlight. In the shade, it is flat in appearance. I think it's growing on me....
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-22-2019, 09:42 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chador View Post
I stopped by my local dealer and took some pictures in the wonderful LA sun of Dravit. It does have a nice sparkle that you need to get up close to see, or be in direct sunlight. In the shade, it is flat in appearance. I think it's growing on me....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chador View Post
Update... not sure what happened but the Bimmerpost mobile app did not add the pictures to the post although it claimed success. Interior shots are to show the Fiona/Black in my new build and full leather so the lower door and center console is fully wrapped in leather.

I can personally attest to the fact Davit is gorgeous based on my experience here in sunny AZ. In fact my first build of my M850i had it for the exterior but ultimately I passed on it given the car had the Driver's Assistance Package 2 due to the BMW Build Your Own only having that option. So new build is with the full boat Drivers Assistance Package (includes Parking Assistant Plus and 3D view) but switched to Tanzanite as it is even more stunning in sunny AZ.

Here's some shots of the original build now at my dealer looking for a new home. it's from in their showroom but I can get it outside and post more if there is interest. Interior is full Fiona/Black who's is also in my new build with the Tanzanite exterior.
Attached Images

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 11-26-2019 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 11:17 PM   #9
Wristdoc
Private
Rep

The more pictures, the better!

Thanks everyone for your help so far...really liking the mixed qualities of the Dravit but would still like to see more BH...

David
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 11:44 PM   #10
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Both colors have metallic and with any metallic you need light for the sparkle to come out.

I have seen BH once in person and It has more a silver metallic with a lighter gray base. More like a Nardo

I actually have Dravit m8. I was on the fence on the color. I have never been a fan of gold or yellow which Dravit has a ton of gold flake. In low light the color is a dark Grigio telesto. When the sun hits its curves it turns to a army green ish color. I absolutely love the color now and the many dimensions of it. It really looks special in the light and sinister at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wristdoc View Post
The more pictures, the better!

Thanks everyone for your help so far...really liking the mixed qualities of the Dravit but would still like to see more BH...

David
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 04:52 AM   #11
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M8

Bump . Currently specing new M8 Comp and can’t decide between these two colors. I’m about to wrap the car in Xpel Stealth to make it look “frozen”, but cannot find any photo where would be Brands Hatch Grey next to Dravit Grey. From my understanding Dravit Grey is darker then BH, but every photo shows those two colors differently. It's a matter of life and death .

Also - on some photos, Dravit Grey seems too flat to my liking. Nearly as flat as Audi’s Nardo Grey which I’m not a fan of. But few posts reference Brands Hatch as a simmilar color to Nardo.

I can’t currently get to dealer to pick up samples of the color, so photos and these posts are the only reference I have.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 06:41 AM   #12
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Brands Hatch is a more traditional metallic grey. Dravit changes dramatically depending on the lighting. In low lighting it looks almost flat while in the sun it really sparkles with the gold flake.
Appreciate 2
      07-29-2020, 07:39 AM   #13
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
I just picked up a Brands Hatch gray M8C. Pictures don't do it justice, has a lot of metal flake in it and really sparkles in the sun.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      07-29-2020, 09:50 AM   #14
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

They both look nice. For me, I lean towards blue. So I got the sonic speed blue, but I wish I had the Tanazinite Blue.

However, with just the Brand Hatch or Davit greys: I'd probably pick the Devit grey. But you can't go wrong in any color under the rainbow.

Just do me a favor, and don't pick basic white or stock black. I hate to see a nice car in a base color. I know 80% of all vehicles are white or black, but it's so boring.
Appreciate 2
      07-29-2020, 10:21 AM   #15
fl650
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 & 2016 BMW X1

Too many dealers play it safe and order cars in white and black since they're historically easier to sell. In addition to what's sitting on dealer lots, most of the unclaimed M8s at the port (as in dealer doesn't want) are also white and black. These are the cars that are going to be left at the end of the year. If you're looking to purchase one of the blues, strongly consider doing it now.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2020, 10:30 AM   #16
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl650 View Post
Too many dealers play it safe and order cars in white and black since they're historically easier to sell. In addition to what's sitting on dealer lots, most of the unclaimed M8s at the port (as in dealer doesn't want) are also white and black. These are the cars that are going to be left at the end of the year.
Just had that discussion this morning with my wife. The vast majority of BMWs available here in North Florida/South Georgia are black or white.

And most of the blacks are black on black, which produce really quite the...environment...here during our super-heated/humid summers.

I can't begin to imagine what whoever is ordering these things is thinking.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 2
fl650130.00
      07-29-2020, 10:32 AM   #17
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
When Dravit Gray gets a thin layer of dirt, it does flatten out. But when it's clean...wowser...it absolutely dazzles.
As a Dravit Grey 8 owner - this. Gold flakes match your Rolex!
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2020, 10:39 AM   #18
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Some pics in the sun with a Brands Hatch M8 Comp Gran Coupe (first 3) and then Dravit Grey M8 Comp Coupe. The Dravit brings out a green hue in the sun
Attached Images

Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 3
WCH347.00
i8you5.00
      07-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #19
fl650
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 & 2016 BMW X1

Quote:
Quote:
Too many dealers play it safe and order cars in white and black since they're historically easier to sell. In addition to what's sitting on dealer lots, most of the unclaimed M8s at the port (as in dealer doesn't want) are also white and black. These are the cars that are going to be left at the end of the year.
Just had that discussion this morning with my wife. The vast majority of BMWs available here in North Florida/South Georgia are black or white.

And most of the blacks are black on black, which produce really quite the...environment...here during our super-heated/humid summers.

I'm also in Florida and quickly came to the same conclusion. That's why I grabbed an M8 coupe in Marina Bay Blue. Several days after I purchased the car, BMW announced there wouldn't be any US coupe or convertible production in 2021. Within two weeks, all of the other cars I was considering were sold. Unless you're looking for black on black or white with black, buy now. The car costs too much to have to settle.
Appreciate 2
      07-29-2020, 01:18 PM   #20
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
Some pics in the sun with a Brands Hatch M8 Comp Gran Coupe (first 3) and then Dravit Grey M8 Comp Coupe. The Dravit brings out a green hue in the sun
These pictures of Dravit Grey are pretty accurate.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #21
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:

agree 100% I can't image how hot in Florida a black on black on black car will be in the summer.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2020, 07:52 PM   #22
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
agree 100% I can't image how hot in Florida a black on black on black car will be in the summer.
Exactly. In June of 2019 when I decided to pull the trigger on a M850i Coupe my dealer had a fully loaded (minus night vision) black on black 2019 in stock. My SA indicated he'd give me a smoking deal. I pointed out that although I was not interested in the carbon fiber exterior package (I figured ultimately after market) with the black exterior it did not have the visual "pop" given the blending. His reply was we'll take that straight off the top, i.e. the CF package price and negotiate down from there.

My wife was with me and started to tell me order what you want, etc. as she knew I was in love with the Fiona Red/Black interior. My answer to her was that I had no intention whatsoever but was just being courteous as black on black here in Phoenix is the kiss of death. Why? It's a 113 here today and forecasts are to hit up to 119 over the next few days.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 07-29-2020 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 1