M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Retrofit Park Assist BDC M850

02-05-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
slash32487
Rep
Drives: m3 2011

Retrofit Park Assist BDC M850

I cannot seem to find anyone who says it is possible to retrofit the park assist into the car.
i thought the parking sensors came standard with the car but only the rear view camera was.
i would like to get this installed asap. has anyone run into this same issue. any other recommended solutions?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 12:47 PM   #2
likegadgets
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Have you checked with https://www.bimmer-tech.net?

Even if the retrofit is not listed on the web site is worth emailing them and inquiring. If they cannot do it, it probably cannot be done
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 04:03 PM   #3
DRA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Comp, 2018 BMW X5

Install ALP, they work as parking sensors
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 04:38 PM   #4
slash32487
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by likegadgets View Post
Have you checked with https://www.bimmer-tech.net?

Even if the retrofit is not listed on the web site is worth emailing them and inquiring. If they cannot do it, it probably cannot be done
They are saying at this moment it is not available. maybe in the future but dont hold my breath. problem is 2 fold. 1 too new of a car. 2 more complex wiring.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 05:50 PM   #5
DRA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Comp, 2018 BMW X5

Do you have front camera? Perhaps it will be easier to install the front camera vs. the sensors?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:37 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slash32487 View Post
I cannot seem to find anyone who says it is possible to retrofit the park assist into the car.
i thought the parking sensors came standard with the car but only the rear view camera was.
i would like to get this installed asap. has anyone run into this same issue. any other recommended solutions?
I'm assuming you have a 2020 M850i vs a 2019 as too my knowledge there wasn't a single 2019 manufactured without Parking Assistant Plus. Correct? If a 2020 and without it that means it came with the Driving Assistance Package 2 (ZDX) that for some inane reason BMW offered on the 8-series from August to December of 2019 on the 2020 models. It bit me so I ended up with a long order process to finally get my 2020 M850i with the Driving Assistance Package (ZDA) that includes Parking Assistant Plus.

That said the Driving Assistance Package 2 does include all of the PDC sensors and the rear view camera. I had always assumed that the Parking Assistant Plus feature also leveraged the 3D View camera but based on the info at https://www.bimmer-tech.net/products...stant-retrofit it clearly does not. Sounds like you need the BDC module and the coding and one would think their current package would work in the M850i but going to guess they haven't QA'd it yet and hence perhaps in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:55 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
For what it's worth my 2020 M850i with the ZDA package includes Parking Assistant Plus (aka the BDC module) but did not come with the Display Key required for Remote Control Parking (and likely the coding to enable). However, bimmer-tech.net is also stating their retrofit package for that functionality is not supported with my M850i.

Then again they also state that their OEM replacement Display Key does not support it as well. For grins i'm going to contact my BMW SA and inquire on whether I can get a display key and the cost. The irony is bimmer-tech charges $899 for the standalone Display Key yet it is included in the Remote Control Parking System package. Something is clearly not adding up math wise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #8
slash32487
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I'm assuming you have a 2020 M850i vs a 2019 as too my knowledge there wasn't a single 2019 manufactured without Parking Assistant Plus. Correct? If a 2020 and without it that means it came with the Driving Assistance Package 2 (ZDX) that for some inane reason BMW offered on the 8-series from August to December of 2019 on the 2020 models. It bit me so I ended up with a long order process to finally get my 2020 M850i with the Driving Assistance Package (ZDA) that includes Parking Assistant Plus.

That said the Driving Assistance Package 2 does include all of the PDC sensors and the rear view camera. I had always assumed that the Parking Assistant Plus feature also leveraged the 3D View camera but based on the info at https://www.bimmer-tech.net/products...stant-retrofit it clearly does not. Sounds like you need the BDC module and the coding and one would think their current package would work in the M850i but going to guess they haven't QA'd it yet and hence perhaps in the future.
Unfortunately that is not true my car is a 2019 and it does not have parking assist. It also looks like it is impossible at the moment to retrofit the sensors. I have heard from some sources it was supposed to be standard but that doesn't matter because they cant do anything about it. Im sensorless
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 07:31 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Unfortunately that is not true my car is a 2019 and it does not have parking assist. It also looks like it is impossible at the moment to retrofit the sensors. I have heard from some sources it was supposed to be standard but that doesn't matter because they cant do anything about it. Im sensorless
Looking at the 2019 ordering guide some of the Driving Assistance features were under the standard options and the two optional packages layered on the additional capabilities. That said it is clearly notated in the standard features that 5DN Parking Assistant Plus is one of them. Some of the optional packages aka Driving Assistance Plus were in the original builds (10/18 on) and the Driving Assistance Professional was software updated (11/18) for those built prior. Of course assuming the FEA cars had both or individual orders included both optional packages.

For the 2020s BMW shifted some options in the 2019s, e.g., Comfort Seating Package to standard features and at the same time took all Driving Assistance features other than the Rear view camera into the optional packages.

Thus, it is an absolute mystery as how you ended up with a 2019 M850i that did not include Parking Assistant Plus considering it is a standard option and leverages the other standard Active Blind Spot Detection, i.e., the "sensors". Regardless I feel your pain as it took two orders to get my 2020 M850i and BMW still F'd up on the second order but my dealership was able to right that wrong on their part with what I refer to on the forum as the cerium eradication program.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #10
ybewiz82
Rep
Drives: F83, F15, G16

Parking Assistant

Quote:
Hello,

Are you still looking for help on this? I might be able to give you a solution.
Appreciate 0