M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850ix Software Update - A Tragedy in Multiple Acts

07-27-2020, 02:11 PM   #221
BKgreyinTX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillo View Post
It's upgraded and I checked the idrive notes and I've got LOADS of fixes and new stuff

Need to read through them all.
Since the update to 7/2020, I've noticed that my instrument cluster and control display brightens and dims on its own during the day and cannot be adjusted by the roller knob or within idrive. At night, I can adjust with the knob.

Have you experienced that? Kinda of annoying, but wanted to make sure it wasn't part of the update before taking to dealer to look at it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 04:26 PM   #222
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx8GC View Post
Since the update to 7/2020, I've noticed that my instrument cluster and control display brightens and dims on its own during the day and cannot be adjusted by the roller knob or within idrive. At night, I can adjust with the knob.

Have you experienced that? Kinda of annoying, but wanted to make sure it wasn't part of the update before taking to dealer to look at it.
I've noticed this on the 03.2020 update.

M
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 08:39 AM   #223
BKgreyinTX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post

M
Oh boy, ok. I went from 11/2019 to 7/2020. Guess I'll just have to get use to it.

Last edited by BKgreyinTX; 07-28-2020 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 01:16 PM   #224
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx8GC View Post
Quote:

M
Oh boy, ok. I went from 11/2019 to 7/2020. Guess I'll just have to get used to it.
yep, I'm so glad I did NOT update mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 08:20 AM   #225
Azlar
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M8C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlar View Post
Since I got mine back from the dealership there is no noise at all when I am reversing, I could scrape my wing mirror down the wall and it would show the red lines on screen but no audible signal.

Front and back sensors only start beeping when I am a foot or so away from an object.

Maybe this would be a good enough reason for a downgrade.
Back on this one, advise needed.

My car is back with the dealers again after 2 updates ( 03/20 and 07/20) and the sensor issue. They say this issue is fixed now after the sensors were 're-installed' as this is required after the updates ( not sure that is true else how did the previous poster have the OTR update ).

I also had an issue where the steering column didn't come down into position every time, mostly it just stayed in the top position, you would then need to inch it down a couple of mm at a time. They say they have fixed this.

They were about to drop it back and I asked them to check the driver assistance pro on the car as the 840i the lent me seemed to have a lot more detail on it. When I hit the button on the wheel this car puts info on the HUD and the cluster showing the road and other cars etc

Another thing is the 360 view when using parking assistant - this is missing too.

My car has none of this and I only realised when I drove the loan car how much was not working correctly on my car. Seems they fix one thing and another arises.

They supplied a digital key that they can't get to work, the pad will not recognise it. My phone sometimes charges, sometimes not.

I was wondering with all these issues, would you take the car back even if they say they have resolved all the problems ?

Last edited by Azlar; 08-16-2020 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 10:14 AM   #226
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Since I got mine back from the dealership there is no noise at all when I am reversing, I could scrape my wing mirror down the wall and it would show the red lines on screen but no audible signal.

Front and back sensors only start beeping when I am a foot or so away from an object.

Maybe this would be a good enough reason for a downgrade.

My car is back with the dealers again after 2 updates ( 03/20 and 07/20) and the sensor issue. They say this issue is fixed now after the sensors were 're-installed' as this is required after the updates ( not sure that is true else how did the previous poster have the OTR update ).

I also had an issue where the steering column didn't come down into position every time, mostly it just stayed in the top position, you would then need to inch it down a couple of mm at a time. They say they have fixed this.

They were about to drop it back and I asked them to check the driver assistance pro on the car as the 840i the lent me seemed to have a lot more detail on it. When I hit the button on the wheel this car puts info on the HUD and the cluster showing the road and other cars etc

Another thing is the 360 view when using parking assistant - this is missing too.

My car has none of this and I only realised when I drove the loan car how much was not working correctly on my car. Seems they fix one thing and another arises.

They supplied a digital key that they can't get to work, the pad will not recognise it. My phone sometimes charges, sometimes not.

I was wondering with all these issues, would you take the car back even if they say they have resolved all the problems ?
If they fix it, I think it's okay because it sounds like it's mostly software problems. But I will say that my m850i has worked flawlessly since day 1 for almost 1.5 years now and that's what I expect in a $140k car.

If you're not happy, tell them and see if maybe they will discount a new one for you if there is anything new that you want. But keep in mind that they don't make them in US anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 08:31 PM   #227
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

I agree that an iDrive update does not require any sensors, cameras, etc. to be re-installed. I just checked the invoice from when my dealer upgraded my M850i last December from the original 06/2019 release to 11/2019.55 and they list out all of the labor hours and nothing whatsoever regarding sensor re-install or calibration. Plus, my OTA upgrade in June from .55 to .70 did not impact the sensors whatsoever as well.

In regards to full driving assistance mode and it displaying "what the car sees" in the digital cockpit that is actually an iDrive setting which is off by default (at least it was on my M850i). Attached is the iDrive settings screen in which I enabled it and after that it has showed up every time I engage full driving assistance. My guess is after your inquiry the dealer will enable that setting for you.

For the parking assistance when the sensors "sense" an obstacle it should engage the cameras and take over the iDrive display with a view on the left of either the front of the car or back depending on which direction your going and the 3-D view on the right. When parking in my garage this has been hit or miss as to whether the sensors will trigger the display so I always press the parking assistance button on the console as I pull into my driveway to enable the cameras and the display.

As for the digital key, it is dependent on the wireless charging tray and it sounds like you may have an issue there. If you place your phone on it and the blue light towards the front of the pad turns on it should be engaged and the phone will charge. With my Pixel 3XL sometimes I have to move the phone around a little to get the pad to fully sense it and turn on the blue light indicating the connection. If your phone is not charging and the blue light was lit up then there may indeed be an issue with charging tray and likely also causing the issue with the digital key.

By all means leave it with the dealer and keep the loaner until they check out all the issues you requested.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 03:53 AM   #228
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My car is going in for an oil change next week, as well as the 07.2020 update - hurray for Android Auto!

I hope they fix the rear camera aspect (from the 03.2020 update), and fingers crossed they don't mess anything else up!

M
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2020, 10:03 AM   #229
Azlar
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I agree that an iDrive update does not require any sensors, cameras, etc. to be re-installed. I just checked the invoice from when my dealer upgraded my M850i last December from the original 06/2019 release to 11/2019.55 and they list out all of the labor hours and nothing whatsoever regarding sensor re-install or calibration. Plus, my OTA upgrade in June from .55 to .70 did not impact the sensors whatsoever as well.

In regards to full driving assistance mode and it displaying "what the car sees" in the digital cockpit that is actually an iDrive setting which is off by default (at least it was on my M850i). Attached is the iDrive settings screen in which I enabled it and after that it has showed up every time I engage full driving assistance. My guess is after your inquiry the dealer will enable that setting for you.

For the parking assistance when the sensors "sense" an obstacle it should engage the cameras and take over the iDrive display with a view on the left of either the front of the car or back depending on which direction your going and the 3-D view on the right. When parking in my garage this has been hit or miss as to whether the sensors will trigger the display so I always press the parking assistance button on the console as I pull into my driveway to enable the cameras and the display.

As for the digital key, it is dependent on the wireless charging tray and it sounds like you may have an issue there. If you place your phone on it and the blue light towards the front of the pad turns on it should be engaged and the phone will charge. With my Pixel 3XL sometimes I have to move the phone around a little to get the pad to fully sense it and turn on the blue light indicating the connection. If your phone is not charging and the blue light was lit up then there may indeed be an issue with charging tray and likely also causing the issue with the digital key.

By all means leave it with the dealer and keep the loaner until they check out all the issues you requested.
Thanks for all the advise and heads up on the settings. Unfortunately the setting you refer to does not appear on either of these cars, the option is different. You can see from the picture below what I have.

This is the same on both cars, the difference is that the M850i does not have any of the info shown on the 840i, nor does it come up with 'assisted driving' part when the button is pressed.

The 3D view I was referring to is the option shown. The parking assistant is there but the options for 3D and car wash do not exist.

All these issues may be software related but there are many of them so I have asked what the options are on a 'buy back' from BMW.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 08:55 PM   #230
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

I'm withholding from any further updates as my last done in Jan of this year by the dealer's service dept has been solid

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 09:29 PM   #231
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for all the advise and heads up on the settings. Unfortunately the setting you refer to does not appear on either of these cars, the option is different. You can see from the picture below what I have.

This is the same on both cars, the difference is that the M850i does not have any of the info shown on the 840i, nor does it come up with 'assisted driving' part when the button is pressed.

The 3D view I was referring to is the option shown. The parking assistant is there but the options for 3D and car wash do not exist.

All these issues may be software related but there are many of them so I have asked what the options are on a 'buy back' from BMW.
Appreciate the update as this 100% confirms that not only does BMW have region specific physical aspects of builds, e.g., Ozzie8 in Australia can get built-in window tinting but even for the software driven components there are differences as well. Here in the US we do not have the "car wash" feature but honestly anybody with a glorious 8-series should not be using one in the first place. The 3D view is exactly what I described and on my M850i either the sensors will turn it on (depending on obstacles) or in my case with my garage I trigger it from the console.

For the Driving Assistant taking over the digital cockpit you might want to check the setting in the attached photo as it too is enabled on my M850i after selecting the option from the previously shared Drivers Assistance screen. Perhaps for the UK version this is done via the Central Display settings as per the image.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 01:41 AM   #232
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Parking, car wash, 360 view are all features on the 07/2020 software version of I drive. It's available on all the new x7 and I think the x5 too. I didn't think it was on the 850, but maybe it's there too.

As for assisted driving full auto, I have it on mine, so I know it's available in the 2019 m850i with 11.2019.35
Software.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 04:45 AM   #233
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Parking, car wash, 360 view are all features on the 07/2020 software version of I drive. It's available on all the new x7 and I think the x5 too. I didn't think it was on the 850, but maybe it's there too.

As for assisted driving full auto, I have it on mine, so I know it's available in the 2019 m850i with 11.2019.35
Software.
The Parking, Car Wash and 360 view were part of 11.2018!

My UK car had it from new, 2018, so definitely a software failure.

The assisted driving screen was part of a later update, but usually has to be coded onto UK cars separately annoyingly).

M
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2020, 06:36 AM   #234
Azlar
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
The Parking, Car Wash and 360 view were part of 11.2018!

My UK car had it from new, 2018, so definitely a software failure.

The assisted driving screen was part of a later update, but usually has to be coded onto UK cars separately annoyingly).

M
Agreed on the parking, 360, car wash thing. This 840i has it and is 11/2019. My M850i now has the 07/2020 software and doesn't have it. All down to software I think.

Good luck M on your upcoming software upgrade, maybe you will have someone install yours that knows what they are doing.

We will see what the latest update on the situation is today.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 08:44 AM   #235
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Agreed on the parking, 360, car wash thing. This 840i has it and is 11/2019. My M850i now has the 07/2020 software and doesn't have it. All down to software I think.

Good luck M on your upcoming software upgrade, maybe you will have someone install yours that knows what they are doing.

We will see what the latest update on the situation is today.
LOL we both know that won't be the case, but I definitely know to ask for them to try and add the Assisted Driving screen.

I also want them to reconnect my phone, for use as the key.

M
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2020, 09:04 PM   #236
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
LOL we both know that won't be the case, but I definitely know to ask for them to try and add the Assisted Driving screen.

I also want them to reconnect my phone, for use as the key.

M
Unfortunately that seems to be a rarity when it comes to iDrive updates. More so I'd say that BMW as a whole is still struggling with living in the software world based on our collective experiences with iDrive, BMW Connected, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 02:23 PM   #237
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Vert, 2021 X5 M50i

I'm scheduled to take mine in for the 07/2020 update (I've been having complete crashes of the head unit while using CarPlay). I'm assuming 07/2020.25 is the most current build and is somewhat stable?

I'm running 03/2020.58 and haven't been impressed. It fixed some issues and caused others. And I hate the quiet cold start.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 02:44 PM   #238
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchtion View Post
I'm scheduled to take mine in for the 07/2020 update (I've been having complete crashes of the head unit while using CarPlay). I'm assuming 07/2020.25 is the most current build and is somewhat stable?

I'm running 03/2020.58 and haven't been impressed. It fixed some issues and caused others. And I hate the quiet cold start.
My M850i is at 07.2020.31 as of first week of August (Canada).
      08-19-2020, 09:55 PM   #239
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Sounds like 07/2020.31 may be the current release thanks to BigMofoFrog's update. I'm currently sitting on the sidelines until we have more collected data on the 07/2020 release considering I'm 100% stable on 11/2019.70. However, given you are on the shit show of the 03/2020 release I'd say you have absolutely nothing to lose in getting the update to 07/2020.

When I do decide to pull the trigger it will be a simple booking for the service and indicating I want the new Android Auto feature. There is a 99% probability I'll never use it but it stops the noise with the dealer's warranty labor hours for the upgrade. Most likely the only useful outcome of the upgrade will be the iOS digital key but currently the verdict is out on that one as well.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2020, 03:48 PM   #240
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Vert, 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:

Sounds like 07/2020.31 may be the current release thanks to BigMofoFrog's update. I'm currently sitting on the sidelines until we have more collected data on the 07/2020 release considering I'm 100% stable on 11/2019.70. However, given you are on the shit show of the 03/2020 release I'd say you have absolutely nothing to lose in getting the update to 07/2020.

When I do decide to pull the trigger it will be a simple booking for the service and indicating I want the new Android Auto feature. There is a 99% probability I'll never use it but it stops the noise with the dealer's warranty labor hours for the upgrade. Most likely the only useful outcome of the upgrade will be the iOS digital key but currently the verdict is out on that one as well.
This will get the iOS digital key? Thought that wasn't available on the 'older' cars. Not sure why it wouldn't, seems the hardware is there to support it on Android.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 06:33 PM   #241
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This will get the iOS digital key? Thought that wasn't available on the 'older' cars. Not sure why it wouldn't, seems the hardware is there to support it on Android.
There has been a lot of discussion on this given the BMW and Apple announcements stating it supports all cars post 07/1/2020. Thus, the assumption was manufactured after 07/1/2020. However, sanity prevailed as the solution is still based on Digital Key 2.0 which is NFC based and the hardware in a 8-series supports that. You can read the details, etc. in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 10:06 AM   #242
Azlar
Private
England
Rep

The garage has had my car for 3 weeks now and still no further forward, still can't get the driver assistance, 3D view or digital key to work.

How long do I leave it before I can legally take action, should I want to ?

Anyone else had experience of such a long drawn out repair process ?

Really do not know what to do for the best. Push for a refund, get a replacement or just wait longer. If they do get it sorted my confidence in the car ( and the dealership ) will be pretty low.

Suggestions please.
Appreciate 0