M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV

01-08-2016, 07:18 AM   #23
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The only things I don't like about the Bolt design are the seat trim with the asymmetrical cover design and the copycat rear side window treatment, which looks right off the hideous i3. GM needs to rethink that rear side a bit, it will just give fodder for the detractors that GM is copying BMW and the i3, when in truth the i3 can't match anywhere near a 200 mile range. I did notice the Bolt does have a dead pedal...
C'mon...don't be a stick in the mud!
I like the illusion of additional size the asymmetrical seat cover gives!!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
C'mon...don't be a stick in the mud!
I like the illusion of additional size the asymmetrical seat cover gives!!
The designer spent too many nights at an Aloft Hotel perhaps...?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #25
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
The specs are very impressive!

I think that it would make a pretty nice city car. I can't ever see myself owning one, much like the i3, but it definitely has a place in the automotive market and has pushed the range envelope further.

Cheers-mk
So what I love about pure electrics are:

You get off the gasoline grid and on the electric grid with its corresponding stable fuel pricing.

If you are adverse to automatic transmissions, as I am, most EVs have a single-speed transmission (i.e. direct drive) so they are always in the "right gear", unlike most automatics, which are programmed to get to the highest gear as quickly as possible for fuel savings and suck for in-town, aggressive driving styles.

And maintenance related to petroleum-based lubricants and fuels.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #26
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

A huge waste of money, would only interest people trying to "save the planet".

Basically a Chevy Sonic for double the price. You would be better off financially buying a Sonic and the remaining cash would pay for nearly 300,000 km of fuel.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #27
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 GTI, sold my E90 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post

Basically a Chevy Sonic for double the price. You would be better off financially buying a Sonic and the remaining cash would pay for nearly 300,000 km of fuel.
No one is ever going to argue with that.

However one could say the same about anything in life.

A $55k 335i gets you to destination the same as a $12k Nissan Versa.

A cheap $15 steak gives you as much nutrition as a $75 prime rib in a fancy restaurant.

I took an extended drive weekend in an i3 and the way electrics deliver their power compared to an ICE is totally different. Max Torque at 1 RPM is fun compared to a tiny 3 cylinder.

0-30 and 0-45 mph blasts normally blows all other econoboxes out of the water.

Plus you notice a big difference after having driven an electric for a few days and returning to an ICE car. It almost is crude (vibrations, rattles, noises)

So there is a difference.

Then some people like the idea of not adding to emissions and noise.

I walk quite often around South Congress and around the Town Lake Hike and Bike trail here in Austin during the summer at the morning rush hour.

The noise and stench from 400,000 people trying to get into downtown is noticeable.

Dense cities in the future could see amazing benefits from reducing ICE cars.

Last edited by XM_Rocks; 01-08-2016 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2016, 12:11 PM   #28
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM_Rocks
Quote:

No one is ever going to argue with that.

However one could say the same about anything in life.

A $55k 335i gets you to destination the same as a $12k Nissan Versa.

A cheap $15 steak gives you as much nutrition as a $75 prime rib in a fancy restaurant.

I took an extended drive weekend in an i3 and the way electrics deliver their power compared to an ICE is totally different. Max Torque at 1 RPM is fun compared to a tiny 3 cylinder.

0-30 and 0-45 mph blasts normally blows all other econoboxes out of the water.

Plus you notice a big difference after having driven an electric for a few days and returning to an ICE car. It almost is crude (vibrations, rattles, noises)

So there is a difference.

Then some people like the idea of not adding to emissions and noise.

I walk quite often around South Congress and around the Town Lake Hike and Bike trail here in Austin during the summer at the morning rush hour.

The noise and stench from 400,000 people trying to get into downtown is noticeable.

Dense cities in the future could see amazing benefits from reducing ICE cars.
Oh, I absolutely agree, would LOVE to have an i3 as a daily run about. Largely for environmental reasons. They just don't make financial sense yet. Soon, hopefully soon!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 05:33 AM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh, I absolutely agree, would LOVE to have an i3 as a daily run about. Largely for environmental reasons. They just don't make financial sense yet. Soon, hopefully soon!
That's the point. At the price point of the Bolt it does start to make financial sense.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2016, 07:32 AM   #30
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh
Quote:
That's the point. At the price point of the Bolt it does start to make financial sense.
Better deal is the smart ED. Here in Canada, list is $27k, they are offering them 3k off right now, and there is a provincial rebate of $8500. So $15.5k all said and done.

Or 3 year lease at $327/month, and still get the $8500 back, works out to $90/month over 3 years.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2016, 07:35 AM   #31
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Better deal is the smart ED. Here in Canada, list is $27k, they are offering them 3k off right now, and there is a provincial rebate of $8500. So $15.5k all said and done.

Or 3 year lease at $327/month, and still get the $8500 back, works out to $90/month over 3 years.
Here in the US, right now I'd get a Volt Gen 1. After rebates you can get leftovers for $20K.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2016, 08:35 AM   #32
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech
Quote:
Quote:

But that's like half a car with 3hp, a go kart suspension a quarter the range and three lug lawn mower wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 09:01 AM   #33
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

This thing is probably like a moped or fat chick, fun to ride until your friends see you.......mucking fugly
Attached Images

Last edited by RABAUKE; 01-09-2016 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 09:04 AM   #34
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Why why why!?!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 04:04 PM   #35
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech
Quote:
Quote:

But that's like half a car with 3hp, a go kart suspension a quarter the range and three lug lawn mower wheels.
Loved my diesel first gen smart. Although, it was tuned to be double the HP, full Brabus wide body kit, Brabus wheels and H&R Cup kit suspension. Even had it on track several times.

Something to be said about driving something at 11/10ths on public roads.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #36
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Why did they have to make it look like an i3 so much ? Its not like the i3 is pretty or selling strong in the first place.

These EV/Hybrid interior always look spartan and unwelcoming. I'm sure it is possible to make something that looks and feel lush while staying under a given weight envellope. So again that must be a stylistic choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #37
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

To me the Volt looks like a much better buy. I get most of the benefits of the Bolt, maintenance is still very limited on a rarely used ICE, then I can go where I want, when I want and even get to work in the morning if I forget (or can't) plug my car in the night before.
      01-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #38
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Electrics just plain suck unless it's an around town grocery getter. Still impractical.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 04:39 AM   #39
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Electrics just plain suck unless it's an around town grocery getter. Still impractical.
And that's what the majority of the population uses their cars for, plus commuting to and from work. With 200mi range, 4 doors, room for 5 (albeit tightly), a hatch, the Bolt is actually extremely practical for most people and would only need to be charged every week or two depending on driving habits. At $30k and not having to pay for gas, GM could very well sell a lot of these.

As enthusiasts who enjoy driving, EVs have not gotten to the point where they are fun to drive and still affordable yet, but that will come as the technology matures.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #40
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
And that's what the majority of the population uses their cars for, plus commuting to and from work. With 200mi range, 4 doors, room for 5 (albeit tightly), a hatch, the Bolt is actually extremely practical for most people and would only need to be charged every week or two depending on driving habits. At $30k and not having to pay for gas, GM could very well sell a lot of these.

As enthusiasts who enjoy driving, EVs have not gotten to the point where they are fun to drive and still affordable yet, but that will come as the technology matures.
Um, no. The car as a car is no better than a $20,000 gas car. At $30,000 and today's gas prices, you'd have to drive close to 165,000 miles to break even. Typical car flip us about every 4 years or 50,000-60,000 miles.
Now add in that it's impractical for long trips so no way it can be your only car. Then for city people owning 3 cars doesn't make sense because or the cost of parking . Then the manufacturingof the batteries not to mention their disposal are both way worse for the environment than a tailpipe, and the amount of fossil fuels burned to make the electricity available, and the grid already way past safe in terms of load, it's no wonder the volt and other electrics are flops.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 09:38 AM   #41
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

When an environmentally friendly battery that recharges in 5 min and has a range of 300+ miles is invented I'll look. Until then these are impractical gizmos people buy to either look like they are hip, but really look like geeks, or by misguided ignorant tree huggers. The rest of us just look at electric owners and think lay-who-say-her!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 10:14 AM   #42
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
When an environmentally friendly battery that recharges in 5 min and has a range of 300+ miles is invented I'll look. Until then these are impractical gizmos people buy to either look like they are hip, but really look like geeks, or by misguided ignorant tree huggers. The rest of us just look at electric owners and think lay-who-say-her!

Not even remotely. I applaud everybody who buys one. If they are not buying them, then the better ones will never happen.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #43
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

We couldn't even call this a controversial car on F30 post. It's unanimous, folks, people hate it. My comment: Meh. Cool that they're trying. I wonder if the i3 design team is pissed at the shameless design-cue copies: look at the window treatment and BMW shifter.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #44
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Not even remotely. I applaud everybody who buys one. If they are not buying them, then the better ones will never happen.
I cut them off at they invariably are blocking the left lane going 5mph under the speed limit pushing up their glasses trying to see the navigation so they can find an electrical outlet.
Appreciate 0