M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Official Volkswagen R32 Owners Thread

02-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #23
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Yeah, a little body roll is present, but it's easy to modulate using the throttle, brakes and DSG.

And the exhaust note sings an aria when downshifting, or reaching for WOT.

If I do opt to get a 135 (and that's a big 'if' because it will have to throttle the ZHP, which will be no easy task), the R32 is not going anywhere. The 135 simply cannot supplant it as a daily driver in four seasons venue's.

In that regard the R32 is the perfect daily driver for my situation. It has the perfect blend of looks, luxury and performance and in the 'hot hatch' segment it has no peers in NA imho.
:headbang:

Everything that IndyMike just said there is dead accurate. Some body roll and terminal understeer if you really push it, but it so easily controlled compared to some other AWD cars. It sounds absolutely unreal (see this winding road clip of it stock: http://www.windingroad.com/multimedi...olkswagen-R32/), and it just been a really nice ownership experience so far, which differs from my last VW. The reason i bought it was because my girlfriend needs an Automatic car and I wanted something we could both enjoy, and the DSG is as advertised, just smooth and brilliant, and loads of fun.

Bryan, not trying to be a fanboy for VW, but the 128i doesn't stand a chance against the R32. It really is that good. I just feel so lucky I get to have both an R32 and a 135i. It will be such a treat.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #24
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan@mwerks View Post
Just out of curiosity, any VWvortex members in this thread?
one incredible feature of owning the R32 has been the mkIV R32 board on vortex. the board has tons of engineering types, track fanatics, vw mechanics, and just a lot of people who try to help each other out.

i don't know how much money i saved by doing my own work (suspension, brakes, haldex maintenance, etc. etc. etc.) from what i learned on that board. not to mention that it has kept me from having some idiot dealer mangle my car.

i really hope that this board turns into the same thing for the 135i!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #25
NOLEimit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32 View Post
one incredible feature of owning the R32 has been the mkIV R32 board on vortex. the board has tons of engineering types, track fanatics, vw mechanics, and just a lot of people who try to help each other out.

i don't know how much money i saved by doing my own work (suspension, brakes, haldex maintenance, etc. etc. etc.) from what i learned on that board. not to mention that it has kept me from having some idiot dealer mangle my car.

Im really hoping this board shapes up like the MKIV R32 board on the Tex as well. Great great insight into every possible noise that the R32 makes. And man does it make some noises, and do some weird things. Gotta love it's quirks though...

I think the 128 with the sport package will be able to hang with the R32. Probably not beat it around a track, since the R32 beat the 330 sport hatch around the top gear track.. But they are a great comparison.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #26
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLEimit View Post
Im really hoping this board shapes up like the MKIV R32 board on the Tex as well. Great great insight into every possible noise that the R32 makes. And man does it make some noises, and do some weird things. Gotta love it's quirks though...

I think the 128 with the sport package will be able to hang with the R32. Probably not beat it around a track, since the R32 beat the 330 sport hatch around the top gear track.. But they are a great comparison.
The 130i is the natural competitor to the MkVR32. Most reviews have favoured the R32 over the 130i. I would expect the 135i to be faster than the R32.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #27
NOLEimit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Well yesterday I borrowed a 335ci yesterday. It reassured me that I can't wait for the 135 to show up. However, I must say it also made me realize I'm going to miss the R32 when I hand those keys over. There is a definite rawness in the MkIV R32 that isn't there in the new BMWs. Maybe its the fact that the R32 isn't nearly as ridid and going through off camber turns you feel some flex and hear some noises. maybe its the exhaust note. To me the steering in the 335 was definitely not as involved as the R32. Does the 335 have electronic steering or hydraulic? I still can't wait for the 135 to show up, but the R is special.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #28
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Bryan, not trying to be a fanboy for VW, but the 128i doesn't stand a chance against the R32. It really is that good. I just feel so lucky I get to have both an R32 and a 135i. It will be such a treat.
I've spent some time in the current R32 as well. I have no preconceptions about the outcome of the comparison. The R32 has the upper hand in power and traction for sure, but the DSG trans is not optimized for the V6 engine (for emissions reasons it shifts more slowly that the FSI cars like 2.0T). The 128i is a better balanced chassis though. It should be interesting either way.

Interestingly, we had an '04 R32 and a new R32 together at Autobahn Country Club last fall, and they were both turning nearly identical lap times. The new car's chassis was far superior to the old, but the old one had the upper hand in power, despite being rated at only 240. The 2004 definitely felt more visceral.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 04:34 PM   #29
bLiTzKrG
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 - IB E92 ZCP

Quote:

^^^ What he said.

I installed most of the mods myself (barring the coil-overs) and I went on the East Coast Tail of the Dragon run with 40+ other R32 and it was awesome. I'm a current MK4 R32 owner and with a few suspension mods and such which makes the car really great. The exhaust note is really special on the R32 (w/flapper). My main reason for wanting to switch is mostly because I have done everything that I wanted to the R32 and barring only major upgrades (forced-induction or BBK), there is not much more I would do. I think that the 135 is going to be another tuners car that takes mods well, and already being a turbo car was one of my wishes for my next car. Basically I see the base 135 as pretty close in performance to my currently modded R32, with room to improve that I no longer have in my R32.

Just my .02.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #30
phastman
Autocrosser
Rep
Drives:

Another MKIV R32 owner and VWVortex member here. I love my R but I'm at the point now where the only way to improve it is to go FI. I don't want to drop 12k putting turbos on a car that wasn't designed for it. I'd rather get the 135 since that's already FI and looks very tunable.

Other pluses for the 135 are:
+little lighter
+RWD (more fun and I don't need AWD in CA)
+50/50 weight distribution (as opposed to the nose-heavy R)
+BMW more enthusiast focused (love the BMWCCA and Roundel)

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 12:33 PM   #31
hbiscuit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:

i really, really hope not... vwvortex is one of the worst car forums on the internet, followed closely by nasioc.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #32
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

i am a golfmkv forumer. i own 08 R32 before and almost a month ago i traded it to 135i. i must say i missed the leg room. exhaust note. the mute button on steering wheel.
but all in all i am very happy with my decision..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #33
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

Original owner of a MkIv R32. Still have it. Still love it. Bought the 128i to drive it everyday except in the winter. The R32 will be winter vehicle and will try to slowly modify it for the track and just have fun without worrying about rendering it undriveable and being grounded. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 07:06 PM   #34
Zoominrex
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 MG M2

my twin brother has a white mkV R32. We go driving in the back roads all the time. We switch cars half way for fun. Its a great car. Fit and finish is amazing. The sound of the exhaust is intoxicating and the AWD grips amazingly well.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #35
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
Mmmmm German Engineering is AMAAAAAZING =)

BMW AW 135i ZMP:6mt,Coral Red Leather,Silver Matte Trim,Heated Front Seats,I-Drive,HD Radio,Ipod/Usb,Comf.Acces
www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #36
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_TT View Post
Mmmmm German Engineering is AMAAAAAZING =)
Haldex isn't all that great of a AWD system.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 08:20 PM   #37
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

^ And Haldex is Swedish, to boot. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #38
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well seeing how you drive an Evo im not really amazed youd say that...

BMW AW 135i ZMP:6mt,Coral Red Leather,Silver Matte Trim,Heated Front Seats,I-Drive,HD Radio,Ipod/Usb,Comf.Acces
www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #39
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep

Garage List
For the R32 fans go to:

http://www.torque.tv/?player=TorqueT...791&ids=238921

and look at the video of the Audi RS4 vs the VW R32 HPA Twin Turbo w/ 565hp and 55ft lbs trq..

www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #40
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well seeing how you drive an Evo im not really amazed youd say that...
Seeing as I would know what a superior AWD system is like.

I've had two VW's is the last three years and almost bought my third 2 months ago so that wasn't meant as an anti-VW(german) thing. Haldex just isn't as good as other systems, that's all.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #41
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hmm ok, you shuld drive their more expensive AWD they perform pretty incredible theyre actually very nice and come well equipped to meet many luxury needs like Audi for example the Toureg.. so if its not the AWD system you like wat is it that you like bout VW if you dont mind me asking?

www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #42
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Hmm ok, you shuld drive their more expensive AWD they perform pretty incredible theyre actually very nice and come well equipped to meet many luxury needs like Audi for example the Toureg.. so if its not the AWD system you like wat is it that you like bout VW if you dont mind me asking?
I've had two '03 Gti's. Bought the first one new, it was a "regular" Gti 1.8t fully loaded. Loved the car had almost every bolt on they sell. All that only netted me 210 whp. Too much money into it for what I got out of it so on to better things. Bought an Evo, sold the Gti a month later. Eight months or so later I was looking for another car to own and wanted to get a R32 but the prices for a used one were way more than I thought they were worth. I ended up buying another GTi, 20th A.E., from a guy out in WV. I wanted to buy the 20th originally back in '03 but I didn't think it was worth the extra $4k over the "regular" Gti. Daily drove the 20th as I continued to mod the Evo built engine, stroker and turbo upgrade. Sold the 20th this past April and have regretted it ever since. Very easy to drive, quick enough to have some fun.

When it comes to VAG I'd buy another 20th, a mkiv R32 or S4.

I'm not loyal to one car brand though. I don't like the 135i because it's German or because it's a BMW. I like it because it's a twin turbo inline six that's rwd and has good potential modability(is that even a word?). I wouldn't buy an Evo X simply because it's a Mitsubishi either.I just never understood the brand humping that goes on. Why limit yourself to one manufacturer when there are so many great cars out there.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 04:09 PM   #43
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well said dude, I know what you mean about modifying the cars... I think VW are rare on their own in all three Reliablity, Engineering and on the road which I think is why they come to be so pricey.. Modifying the TDI (which I miss very much) I had was even more expensive and a lot harder to find parts, it was the biggest paiin and gains weren't much, I think the only way to really gain bigger numbers was to upgrade the Clutches, Turbos and that ran pretty high in price! Like you said it is always a great thing to not restrict yourself to one car brand or any brand in that case. I honestly have only been through GM Vehicles and German Engineering but mainly bc of their reliabilty and quality and style and power. I still have in my mind that I want a used Z later and a new Camaro hopfully in a few years I can get them. A Lotus as well! =) But yea I understand what you mean, there are a lot of great cars out there, I think after I did Valet, I became more picky b/c I drove almost any affordable car, and a few not so affordable cars lol. I have driven quite a few Evo's and i think the only thing I reallly liked was the body and engine, interior wasn't my thing but I'm sure its a lot easier to modfy thand a VW and also cheaper. Evo do keep their value quite well to though.

www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #44
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

wow- this thread is back from the dead.

when the 135i first came out, it seemed to be the best followup car for the R32 that i have loved so much. great power, rwd, huge bang-for-buck factor.

lately, i have been leaning away from the 135i. i have been a little discouraged by 1: the hpfp issue, which seems to be ongoing, 2: the rear e-diff and the difficulties of getting a real lsd, 3: limps (usually from hot oil), and the need for aftermarket oil cooling, 4: the weird brake caliper piston issue, which stems entirely from the current absence of aftermarket brake pads.

i am leaning toward a 996 or early 997 911. the 40th ann 996 (2004), for example, has 345 hp, a real lsd, and can be found for $40k.

another candidate is the 370z-- also has a real lsd, and will have nice nismo parts (diff radiator, additional oil cooler) available.

i'm a it sad about it, as i really thought the 1 would be the answer. i guess it still might be, but not at the moment.
Appreciate 0