M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 audio question

05-04-2024, 12:27 PM   #1
VermonterM8
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8

M8 audio question

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Just bought a 2020 M8 that is being shipped to me. While I wait, been watching video etc to prepare to set it up.

I am a bit confused about how to access music from an IPod - is it as simple as plugging it into the USB port?

I saw where someone had Velcro’d a SSD to the underside of the storage console lid. Is it possible to plug an SSD in and access music this way?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions…

Thanks

Mitch
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 02:18 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VermonterM8 View Post
Just bought a 2020 M8 that is being shipped to me. While I wait, been watching video etc to prepare to set it up.
First off congrats on the purchase and you'll absolutely love the M8. Worth noting once it lands pics are required (rules of the road for the forum) or otherwise "it didn't happen".
Quote:
I am a bit confused about how to access music from an IPod - is it as simple as plugging it into the USB port?
I can't say for sure as it's been decades since I've used an iPod. It all depends on whether the M8 will recognize it as a SSD storage device and iD7 can control it from the "music catalog".

Quote:
I saw where someone had Velcro’d a SSD to the underside of the storage console lid. Is it possible to plug an SSD in and access music this way?
One upside on your 2020 as well as my 2020 M850i is the USB-C in the console is full charge/networking vs the 2023's on (across the board for all series as per my understanding) is it's now charging only. Case-in-point on the wife's LCI 40i it is absolutely charging only.

That said I've been using a 2TB SSD connected to the USB-C port in the M850i since day 3. It took me a few days to load it up with FLAC files for dozens up dozens of albums. It works like a champ and I haven't even bothered to Velcro it as it's tiny and just sits on the bottom of the central console storage area.

So the answer is absolutely yes on the SSD in the console. The verdict will be out on the iPod until you try it or someone else can verifies it works. One plus on the SSD route is to my absolute surprise the BMW assistant will play anything I want off of it with just a voice command. 👍
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 11:02 AM   #3
VermonterM8
Registered
Rep

Thanks - I’ll post pics later today after delivery…

I’ll checkout the IPod option and hope that works, I have around 1500 albums in my music collection already on an SSD and assume that’d be quite a bit of time to load it up. They are stored as Apple Lossless so that might complicate things…
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 02:22 PM   #4
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

Quote:
Thanks - I’ll post pics later today after delivery…

I’ll checkout the IPod option and hope that works, I have around 1500 albums in my music collection already on an SSD and assume that’d be quite a bit of time to load it up. They are stored as Apple Lossless so that might complicate things…
Why not load your collection on a giant USB stick and plug it in? The USB where the cup holders are is the USB for music.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 02:35 PM   #5
MACHT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M8, '23 AT4X, '24 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroGeek View Post
Why not load your collection on a giant USB stick and plug it in? The USB where the cup holders are is the USB for music.
That's exactly what I do. Works like a charm. You can play folders or create playlists. Pretty quick, too.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 05:20 PM   #6
ShainoF10M5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHT View Post
That's exactly what I do. Works like a charm. You can play folders or create playlists. Pretty quick, too.
I bought a small external SSD w/ 500gb capacity and plugged into the port in my console. Tried a flash drive by the cupholder but it was always in the way when I store my phone on the wireless charger. Just a matter of time before I broke it off (or someone else more like). Not sure if the ‘20 had the console port.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 10:41 PM   #7
VermonterM8
Registered
Rep

Just delivered and I’m seriously impressed! Plugged my IPod into the USB in the charging compartment and worked like a charm, but I’ll try the SSD tomorrow. It has over 1,000 albums on it so I probably need to get another SSD and thin out the number of albums - stuff in there I never listen to…I’m sure I’ll have further questions and will post a photo once I get it cleaned up. Came from FL to VA on an open trailer, in the front position so lots of grime to clear off…

I had 2 MB Sl500s and 2 MB SL550s before this and my worries over not feeling like I made much of an upgrade have vanished…
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5291.50
      05-07-2024, 11:59 PM   #8
NavyBlue
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M8

I have approx 3,000 songs on a tiny 32 GB USB. $8 on Amazon. Works great. Barely sticks out on console.
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-32GB-...25&sr=8-4&th=1
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 06:38 AM   #9
yugrac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M850i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyBlue View Post
I have approx 3,000 songs on a tiny 32 GB USB. $8 on Amazon. Works great. Barely sticks out on console.
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-32GB-...25&sr=8-4&th=1
+1
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:55 AM   #10
beemarman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix Convetible

Do you have guys get album artwork when playing vis USB? I have noticed only certain albums will display album art, but singles don't.
Appreciate 0