M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Your Thoughts On M850i Reliability And Does My Plan Make Sense?

03-25-2024, 04:18 PM   #45
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_328i View Post
Well, the first generation e31 has all sorts of issues. It's definitely an enthusiast's type of car because without a proper support online forum and some adequate DIY ability, it'll be very expensive to own.

On the other BMW online forum, collectively, I believe it has the best group of e31 owners/enthusiasts around. A lot of folks on that forum are extremely knowledgeable and mechanically savvy. I owe all of my knowledge of the e31 platform to the folks on that forum.
Why I love Bimmerpost. Learned a lot from the X5 forum before ever tipping my toe into the BMW world for my wife's dream X5 back in late 2016 (was a 2017). Have continued to learn the gamut on the 8-series forum and elsewhere before I pulled the trigger on my 2020 M850i
including leasing strategies as I had never done one before.

All golden with the lessons learned, ridiculous APR via MSDs plus current MF at the time so just bought the car out vs a lease return. Love all the mods, etc. as one day I'll get there. However, pay it back in anyway I can on the 8-series and now G06 forum for my wife's 2024 LCI X5. It's amazing at how disinformation spreads on that forum vs here.

The latest here is the need for a faraday box/pouch to eliminate replay attacks. Not needed whatsoever but the lore to do so continues. Same for a M car gets ECU, etc. caps lifted after the break-in service. All lore vs facts. 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_328i View Post
I envy and admire all of the current 8 series owners, and most certainly wish you all a very satisfiable ownership journey. My hats off to you all.
Hope you eventually join the club. 👍
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 11:01 PM   #46
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335ix

Sorry for the long delay. Snow, and then unexpected travel tied me up. Here are a few pictures of my wonderful new M850i. It's a 2021, with only 15k miles, and in virtually showroom condition. It also has one year and three weeks of the original warranty left.

Okay, I'm going to need some help. I have the pictures stored on my computer, in my photo section. I can find no way to provide them here.
When I click on "insert image" it wants a url? I've never had this problem before in a forum.

What do I need to do?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 06:44 AM   #47
yugrac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M850i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO-BMW View Post
Sorry for the long delay. Snow, and then unexpected travel tied me up. Here are a few pictures of my wonderful new M850i. It's a 2021, with only 15k miles, and in virtually showroom condition. It also has one year and three weeks of the original warranty left.

Okay, I'm going to need some help. I have the pictures stored on my computer, in my photo section. I can find no way to provide them here.
When I click on "insert image" it wants a url? I've never had this problem before in a forum.

What do I need to do?
You use the attachment function (the paper clip) and upload the pictures and then attach them.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 07:41 AM   #48
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

Quote:

What do I need to do?
You need a site that hosts images. I use a free one called "postimage". I recommend that one, very easy to use and easy to post on forums

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 07:57 AM   #49
yugrac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M850i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
You need a site that hosts images. I use a free one called "postimage". I recommend that one, very easy to use and easy to post on forums
Interesting, as I have not needed to do this. I just click the paperclip button, upload the image from my PC, click the paperclip button again and the uploaded image is available for attachment.
Appreciate 1
NGT25617.50
      04-15-2024, 10:21 AM   #50
MagnificoRoad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 840iGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yugrac View Post
Interesting, as I have not needed to do this. I just click the paperclip button, upload the image from my PC, click the paperclip button again and the uploaded image is available for attachment.
Try this - I know it’s a bit wonky. Note I’m using the mobile site. Not sure how desktop is different.

- click Attach Image on upper right
- click Add an Attachment
- When you see your photo appear, you’ll need to swipe that whole popup-page down with your finger. Then you’ll see on the upper right it indicates your attachment is there.
- then you can Post.

I may have confused you more but hope this works for you.
      04-18-2024, 12:57 PM   #51
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Name:  thumbnail (1).jpg
Views: 70
Size:  329.0 KB

Name:  thumbnail (2).jpg
Views: 66
Size:  171.5 KB

Name:  thumbnail.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  339.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 01:00 PM   #52
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks, your suggestions helped me to get the picture posted. Just a couple quick shots.

I am enjoying every moment that I spend in this car immensely. Thanks again to everyone for their information on what a great car this is, which helped me to get to this point!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 03:11 PM   #53
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
TWO-BMW any tips after your search? I imagine it’s no different than searching for anything else.

I did this to find my 2020 M550. Searched high and low for a particular spec and got a great find and price.

Always liked the 8GC. This week I got one (40i) as a loaner while my M550 is being serviced. I think M850GC will be my next car. I’ll likely be having the brakes done in the next couple months (or weeks depending on the report from this service) and tires shortly after. That kind of maintenance expense will keep me set on the current car for a while more. But I love driving this loaner. I didn’t know if I’d find anything that could replace all the 550 offers but the 8 might do it. I think the increased profile in styling and the sporty driving dynamic can offset the difference in the way the seats fit me and the trunk size. I’ve gotten used to the seating after a couple days and the kids’ seats fit surprisingly great in the back. Did I mention that I love how it drives and handles? Wife likes it a lot too.

So, I’m sure my eye will be wandering and I’ll start doing research, now that the bug is in my ear. If you picked up on any patterns or trends for looking for these cars, I’d love to know. It will likely be even harder to find a particular spec than the 550 was.

Congrats on your car and thanks for the thread. It’s helpful.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 03:13 PM   #54
MagnificoRoad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 840iGC

Congrats. It’s a stunner.

I’m a new owner too and yes - every minute in it and even just looking at it is a day-booster. Enjoy!!
      04-18-2024, 11:24 PM   #55
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
TWO-BMW any tips after your search? I imagine it’s no different than searching for anything else.

I did this to find my 2020 M550. Searched high and low for a particular spec and got a great find and price.

Always liked the 8GC. This week I got one (40i) as a loaner while my M550 is being serviced. I think M850GC will be my next car. I’ll likely be having the brakes done in the next couple months (or weeks depending on the report from this service) and tires shortly after. That kind of maintenance expense will keep me set on the current car for a while more. But I love driving this loaner. I didn’t know if I’d find anything that could replace all the 550 offers but the 8 might do it. I think the increased profile in styling and the sporty driving dynamic can offset the difference in the way the seats fit me and the trunk size. I’ve gotten used to the seating after a couple days and the kids’ seats fit surprisingly great in the back. Did I mention that I love how it drives and handles? Wife likes it a lot too.

So, I’m sure my eye will be wandering and I’ll start doing research, now that the bug is in my ear. If you picked up on any patterns or trends for looking for these cars, I’d love to know. It will likely be even harder to find a particular spec than the 550 was.

Congrats on your car and thanks for the thread. It’s helpful.
Searching to find as close to the perfect car as possible just takes time, daily effort, and patience. You also need to have a clear list of the exact options that you want and what is most important to you. Granted, with the M850i, it comes pretty well loaded. The only options my car lacks, that I would have wished for, in a perfect world, the B&W sound system (very hard to find) and the Crystal Shift Controller knob. Granted, that crystal knob might not be as ideal for everyday use. I was just surprised my car didn't have it because it was on almost every car I had looked at previously, and also mentioned in every review.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 11:41 PM   #56
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Searching to find as close to the perfect car as possible just takes time, daily effort, and patience. You also need to have a clear list of the exact options that you want and what is most important to you. Granted, with the M850i, it comes pretty well loaded. The only options my car lacks, that I would have wished for, in a perfect world, the B&W sound system (very hard to find) and the Crystal Shift Controller knob. Granted, that crystal knob might not be as ideal for everyday use. I was just surprised my car didn't have it because it was on almost every car I had looked at previously, and also mentioned in every review.
Sounds like my M550 search. I already know what it has to have. Bowers stereo (it was a must on the M550 and now I can’t go back), the full drive assist package, and cognac or ivory interior (preferably cognac). There are a handful out there now that fit that, that are close to my price range. But I’d actually prefer to wait at least another year. They’re still in production so I don’t feel rushed. But now that I have had this 840GC loaner a few days, I know how much I like the overall feel of the car and know it fits my needs (kid seats fit, golf clubs fit, etc). So it’s less of an idea and becoming more of a plan. So I’m afraid that when the perfect spec does show up at the right price at one of my preferred dealers, I’ll be tempted to move even if it’s “ahead of schedule”. Did I mention I have a bit of a car problem??

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0