M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Death to EVO and STI

12-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #1
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Death to EVO and STI

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=123941
SCOTTSDALE, Arizona — Mitsubishi today announced pricing for the highly anticipated 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X. The estimated price for the base-level, five-speed manual-transmission-equipped Evo GSR is $34,000. The MR model outfitted with Mitsubishi's new six-speed dual-clutch transmission identified as the Twin Clutch-Sequential Sportshift Transmission (TC-SST), starts at $39,000.

Also announced today were official EPA ratings for the Evo X. The GSR earned 16/22 mpg for city/highway, while the paddle-shifting MR did slightly better with 17/22 mpg.

I went in to the mitsu dealer and asked how much he thought it was going to be. He told me around 40k. I laughed at how mistaken I believed he was. I guess the jokes on me. I hate to say it but this car is going to lose a lot of sales.
      12-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Well, I really, really like the 04-06 STI (07 had ECU issues) and the Evo VIII and IX, but I'm a bit put off by the "refinement" Mitsu and Subaru are focusing on with the new models.

Basically, I would've seriously considered either if they were more hardcore, but with the dynamics shifting towards luxury, I have a hard time not going with a luxury/performance brand, hence my interest in the 135i, especially since I don't need a practical vehicle.

The STI will definitely have its place in the market. Practicality and performance are appealing to many individuals.

The Evo, however, seems to be a real disappointment...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #3
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Geez - I coulda had a Corvette!! (and get better mileage than the Evo ; -)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

There's now a disconnect in pricing and target audience for the Evo and STi, that's real car money for something that screams "I'm a dumb kid, hear my fart can exhaust". I don't give a rats ass how fast those things are, the base platform is a cheap Japenese economy car sedan. Then tack on all manner of retarded looking spoilers, hideous hood scoops, and confused interiors with no logic or continuity to the button size or location (A particularly strong Japenese design signature BTW). If you were inclined to waste your hard earned money on rice, why wouldn't you instead buy a Lexus IS350? At least you wouldn't be shouting that you're a completely tasteless child by driving the Lexus.

Perfect examples of how a car is much, much more than its 0-60 time.

Maybe some day the Japenese will figure out a way to put ALL of a cars controls on the steering wheel, so you could have a perfectly blank dashboard. J-car steering wheels are just tacky as hell.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

I just knew the Japanese car hater(s) would interject on the first page

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep

No, I don't hate J-cars. Its just extremely rare that they ever put together a mature, cohesive, aesthetically pleasing car. 1st gen G35 coupe is exceptional, 1st gen NSX with pop up headlights is exceptional. The Evo and Sti are fugly childish crap. WTF is going on with the new Civic interior? Hear me now, and I'm going to highlight it....

When it comes to desiging interiors, the Japenese produce the most confusing interiors with no logic or continuity to the button size or location, its a particularly strong Japenese design signature/defect and they almost never get that right. That's an objective reality.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

STi and EVO are both boy racer cars that are great performers, and they are a helluva lotta fun to drive, but I can't see me being able to have one as a daily driver (being 43).

At $32k, they were a financial stretch for quite a few "kids" that drive them now. At $40k they'll be fairly unreachable, and I wonder if they'll make up sales of either car with people like me who can forego the boy racer image, being a bit older than your average-everyday-boy-racer. I've already crossed them off of my list... maybe if I were 15+ years younger...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 10:05 PM   #8
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

I'm still shocked that these cars are priced so closely! Just shocked. GO BMW. Even the mileage on the EVO looks shitty. So the BMW is faster and economical.
      12-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #9
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here.

http://home5.swipnet.se/~w-55183/cas...a/gambling.wav
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 10:50 PM   #10
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Wolfman, your a trip....haha
      12-13-2007, 02:30 AM   #11
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

eh. I dont see a problem with japanese interiors. I've worked at a saab dealer before and a suby dealer. And the interior aren't much different. The new G37 interiors are pretty awesome. And as for the STi and Evo being totally rice, fugly boy racer. You are entitled to what you think, but believe me, a big part of the motorsport scene dont think so. They have the outrageously wide fender flares, and the big hood scopes for a reason. To fit big tires, and to have a TMIC to reduced lag. The platform of the evo and suby are not just from some econobox. The chassis maybe, but everything else is build specifically for the STi, or the EVO.

Your ardent hate for the STi and EVO aren't really founded on solid ground if all you got to run on is big wings and hideous scoops.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 06:37 AM   #12
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
Your ardent hate for the STi and EVO aren't really founded on solid ground if all you got to run on is big wings and hideous scoops.
"Ardent hate"?? That's a huge exaggeration. I don't see anybody saying that they hate the car, and nobody denies that they make a great race car when set up.

Look at the demographics of those who drive the car. That's what makes it a boy racer. They have historically sacrificed quality materials for function, which is fine. That's what they were aiming for. They did pigeonhole themselves into that boy racer demographic, and now they are moving a bit more upscale (materials AND price), and they may have issues selling a car that they market for the boy racer sect who now cannot afford it, or can think of may other $40k options.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 08:44 AM   #13
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Actually, the STI with the stock (non-BBS) wheels is, if not a sleeper, at least pretty tasteful. The interior has also lost the blue seats and carpeting of the original STI. The car is definitely visually aggressive, but I'm not sure I would call it "boy racer" any more.

I also believe you can get the Evo X with a wing delete, which would clean it up a lot.

As for the demographics, most of the guys I know who drive Evos and STIs are working class stiffs or autocrossers. They aren't boys, although I guess many of them are racers...

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 08:56 AM   #14
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Gotta disagree with you there 1ster. There isnt anything sleeper about that STI.
      12-13-2007, 09:24 AM   #15
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
No, I don't hate J-cars. Its just extremely rare that they ever put together a mature, cohesive, aesthetically pleasing car. 1st gen G35 coupe is exceptional, 1st gen NSX with pop up headlights is exceptional. The Evo and Sti are fugly childish crap. WTF is going on with the new Civic interior? Hear me now, and I'm going to highlight it....

When it comes to desiging interiors, the Japenese produce the most confusing interiors with no logic or continuity to the button size or location, its a particularly strong Japenese design signature/defect and they almost never get that right. That's an objective reality.

While I will agree somewhat with what you say, my Mazdaspeed 6 I think was a shot in the right direction. Nothing very "boy racer" .. has AWD, nice comfort (heated seats / mirrors / steeringwheel controls / keyless entry / starting .. etc) ....

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 09:25 AM   #16
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
Actually, the STI with the stock (non-BBS) wheels is, if not a sleeper, at least pretty tasteful. The interior has also lost the blue seats and carpeting of the original STI. The car is definitely visually aggressive, but I'm not sure I would call it "boy racer" any more.

I also believe you can get the Evo X with a wing delete, which would clean it up a lot.

As for the demographics, most of the guys I know who drive Evos and STIs are working class stiffs or autocrossers. They aren't boys, although I guess many of them are racers...

Well said .. except the "sleeper part". However, I would say compared to the previous gen .. it is more of a sleeper .. more inline with the mazdaspeed 3 ...

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 09:50 AM   #17
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
While I will agree somewhat with what you say, my Mazdaspeed 6 I think was a shot in the right direction. Nothing very "boy racer" .. has AWD, nice comfort (heated seats / mirrors / steeringwheel controls / keyless entry / starting .. etc) ....

Crowley
Indeed it was a step in the right direction but it was an absolute FAILURE. Didnt Mazda say they wont make another one?
      12-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #18
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Indeed it was a step in the right direction but it was an absolute FAILURE. Didnt Mazda say they wont make another one?

Not sure about that .. but with the new 6 platform they didn't include it .. however some mazda folks said usually a mazdaspeed version appears later on in the cycle ...

The problem with this car is ... they didn't market it .... they marketed the mazdaspeed 3 and that car is selling quite well .. (oh well worked good for me though since I got the car for a good price )

Crowley

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 11:05 AM   #19
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
I heard that too, much like the W8 Passat. Tough to break into a market owned by extremely good cars, like Audis and BMWs. I think both the Mazdaspeed 6 and the W8 are fantastic cars but are just too hard to market.

Btw, agree with you on the "that's not a sleeper" comment. Most of the WRX/STi drivers I know are not boys, and are racers/autoxers too, but that's because I do those sports as well. I'm talking about who you mainly see on the road driving them.... For me, they mostly are <30 y.o. guys, most looking a good bit younger than that.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 11:37 AM   #20
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
"Ardent hate"?? That's a huge exaggeration. I don't see anybody saying that they hate the car, and nobody denies that they make a great race car when set up.

Look at the demographics of those who drive the car. That's what makes it a boy racer. They have historically sacrificed quality materials for function, which is fine. That's what they were aiming for. They did pigeonhole themselves into that boy racer demographic, and now they are moving a bit more upscale (materials AND price), and they may have issues selling a car that they market for the boy racer sect who now cannot afford it, or can think of may other $40k options.
Im pretty sure he hates these cars a lot since everytime the subject comes up, he will chime in. But whatever.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #21
Euro Durch Tod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mustang

All this talk about boy racer cars. They are designed with a purpose, you cant get lots of air into the engine area and downforce to the wheels without these add ons. these cars are bringing race performance to the street and need the technologies to match. Look at the Z06, its has some pretty aggressive styling too.

The past Evo's and Stiss were up in the lower 30s so the increase isnt that much. Ive notice some of the older guys not liking the boy racer style but all those "boy racer" kids are comin of age graduating from college and makin their own money. They are aging as is their market allow more expensive cars to satisfy their needs. Personally I think the styling of the 135i, while I love it a lil bland for the performance upgrades. I think the tii styling is more appropriate for the car, How ever I am in the "Boy Racer' category.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 12:37 PM   #22
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
i could see how the evo is worth it... def. not the sti