M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Drive Side Window Issue

09-09-2023, 04:51 AM   #1
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

Drive Side Window Issue

Hi,

Does anyone here have the same issue I just noticed with the driver door window. Take a look at the attached images (left/right door) the window on the driver door doesn't go all the way down like the rest of the car. Is this normal or should I make a trip to the dealer? Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 07:54 AM   #2
dubbrand
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 GC M850i

Mine does the same. If you push it again it will go all the way down. From my understanding it's because the door doesn't have the frame around the window. It supposed to keep the window from coming out of line when you open and close the door. My audi did the same thing and was able to code it so the window would stay down. Never had any issues with when opening or closing the door. Never had any issues with my brz or mkiv supra as well.
Appreciate 1
KB7120.00
      09-09-2023, 03:58 PM   #3
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

So just to confirm, your driver door window doesn't go all the way down but the rest do! thanks

I tried several times to close and open it but it keeps stopping in the same position. I don't have a problem with it this way as long as it's not going to cause any issues down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbrand View Post
Mine does the same. If you push it again it will go all the way down. From my understanding it's because the door doesn't have the frame around the window. It supposed to keep the window from coming out of line when you open and close the door. My audi did the same thing and was able to code it so the window would stay down. Never had any issues with when opening or closing the door. Never had any issues with my brz or mkiv supra as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 06:17 AM   #4
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Mine opens all the way and stays down

Last edited by M8Bimmer; 09-10-2023 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 08:12 AM   #5
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

I wonder if the fix would be done via software or the dealer would have to remove the door panel as this would not be my preference. From past experience, moving door panels introduces rattling noise which I’m not interested in. On my next service I will ask the dealer how they would fix it!
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2023, 11:18 AM   #6
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
I wonder if the fix would be done via software or the dealer would have to remove the door panel as this would not be my preference. From past experience, moving door panels introduces rattling noise which I’m not interested in. On my next service I will ask the dealer how they would fix it!
Does your steering wheel auto adjust when you open the door? Go up out of the way?
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
mjr241651.50
      09-10-2023, 12:30 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
My driver's door on the M850i goes all the way in the door aka flush just like the passenger door. I don't roll it down much outside of once a week when I need to badge into the company parking structure. Use the memory windows for that which works like a champ. As I approach the badge reader the window automatically goes down.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 01:52 PM   #8
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
My driver's door on the M850i goes all the way in the door aka flush just like the passenger door. I don't roll it down much outside of once a week when I need to badge into the company parking structure. Use the memory windows for that which works like a champ. As I approach the badge reader the window automatically goes down.
I spent all day once going around to every Starbucks doing that so I could convince the wife that her car knows when she is driving she is going to stop at a Starbucks....
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 2
M8Bimmer1272.50
      09-10-2023, 02:46 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
I spent all day once going around to every Starbucks doing that so I could convince the wife that her car knows when she is driving she is going to stop at a Starbucks....
LOL and good prank to play. 👍
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 02:51 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbrand View Post
I've seen that on other coups with no B pillar aka frameless front door windows. However, on an 8-series the 2019 M850i coupe "loaner" I had from my dealer for a weekend to help push me over the edge to purchase as well as my 2020 M850i coupe go all the way down into the door on both sides. Even for the OP the passenger side does but not the drivers side so if anything the drivers side needs an adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 02:55 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Agreed as I wouldn't let them mess with the door panel either. I'm in the same boat as although not my window but rather the heated door armrest does not work in my M850i. The passenger one does so I've considered getting the driver's door fixed under warranty but that will require most likely tearing apart the door to find a loose wire or faulty heating element. Rather live without it as in the Phoenix area it's pretty much useless anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 02:57 PM   #12
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

It does actually go up.

Quote:
Does your steering wheel auto adjust when you open the door? Go up out of the way?
Appreciate 1
Tenac4539.50
      09-10-2023, 03:05 PM   #13
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

Today, I opened the driver side window and it went all the way down. So I tried it for a second time but this time it did not go all the way down. While the window was still open, I push the button in a downward position, it moved the window all the way down. I tried it few times, it seems this is the only way I can bring it completely down by pressing the button twice! 🤷*♂️ Weird…
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 04:27 PM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Today, I opened the driver side window and it went all the way down. So I tried it for a second time but this time it did not go all the way down. While the window was still open, I push the button in a downward position, it moved the window all the way down. I tried it few times, it seems this is the only way I can bring it completely down by pressing the button twice! 🤷*♂️ Weird…
That may be a software/programming adjustment vs a rip apart the door panel. It sounds like the memory is set for the window to go down by default to the small piece of glass exposed. Push it again as per your experience and boom all the way down as it should be just like the passenger door window. 👍
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 05:47 PM   #15
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Quote:
You sound like the guy who installed a dummy thermostat just for the wife to use. Was powered but not hooked up. Then she could spend all day making herself comfortable.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4539.50