M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion assisted driving hands free time reduced

08-18-2023, 01:55 PM   #23
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Last day of the chauffeuring as I'm picking up the wife's X5 from the PPF/tint job this afternoon. Hit the normal stop/go on the way back to the house from her school so plus kicked in. It was probably active for a few minutes before I thought I'd make a video. It was tricky to keep the cellphone from blocking the LIDAR camera view but pulled it off. As you can see right at 41MPH it disengages and the wheel alert goes instantaneously red as mentioned before.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 06:09 PM   #24
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
BMW cars with driver assist featurers should have bumpers replaced, not repaired like that. There are radar sensors behind the plastic in each corner (front and back).

Agreed but for the gouge as described it sounds similar to the one I have on my front right bumper (nowhere near a sensor though) Penske Collision described a similar process of filling the plastic and shaping it. But they also included in the quote to repair it that they'd pull the bumper, fully spray it plus clear coat, re-install and calibrate the sensors and front camera. Total quote in early 2020 was $1800.

They explained the bumper alone would be roughly that then the painting and sensor/camera calibration just adding to the cost. They do excellent work (cover all the lines of cars their local dealerships sell - Audi, Aston Martin, Bentley, BMW, Lambo, etc.) so took their word for it that a new bumper was just a waste of money.

COVID hit so I never followed through. Also realized it is so hardly noticeable it's not a big deal whatsoever. However, I'm going to need to get the hood PPF'd sometime in the not too distant future due to some rock dings that are deep enough they can't self-repair. Figure since I'm doing that I may finally get the bumper work done as although the PPF is still fine except for the gouge area (I just trimmed the edges so it wouldn't fray) might as well go all in. I'm sure the cost will have gone up but still cheaper than a new bumper which more than likely has gone up as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 06:25 PM   #25
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicvii View Post
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but I’ve noticed that when I turn on assisted driving, the hands free time has reduced greatly. Now the yellow steering wheel indicator turns on every 5 seconds which is kind of ridiculous. I was driving locally at 30-40 mph. Anyone else ever experienced similar issues?
I did before I had r33_RGSport do the coding and removed it. Now I just cruise.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 07:51 PM   #26
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
One interesting thing on the wife's 2024 X5 is it's DAP includes "Highway Assistant" which you can toggle to be on or off depending on what you want. Basically it is DAP Plus (and shows up in the DAP menu in the cluster as such that allows for hands free driving (all LIDAR camera controlled) up to 75MPH on freeways it's supported on. It's supported on the freeway closest to the house 4 lanes (including HOV) on bothe sides so I tried it out and works like a champ.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 05:58 PM   #27
magicvii
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Just an update after having my dealer upgrade the M850i to 07/2023.33 and doing some DAP testing over the past few weeks. I could tell almost immediately that the yellow warning time has indeed been reduced (likely introduced in 03/2023 or 11/2022) to what felt like 5 seconds or so.

Further testing using the stopwatch app on my cell phone it is indeed 5 seconds now vs the original 10. However, it feels like the red warning is the same amount of time and kicks in at 20 seconds (confirmed with the stopwatch app). So the update reduced the time before the yellow alert starts but left the amount of time it will run before the red alert kicks in. I'm guessing this was a "safety" enhancement.

No changes to lane detection, ACC performance or oddball following the car in front out of the lane if it does so as per your experience. Hopefully your dealer helped resolve that and likely ties back to the bumper/grill work impacting the camera or sensors.
Thank you for this! Exactly what I was confused about. Mine was showing the yellow alert every 5 seconds and the dealer said it was working as intended. But I didn’t know that the time interval until the red alert was unchanged. Super helpful to know.
Appreciate 0