M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion convertible owners with bowers

04-18-2023, 02:22 AM   #1
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m850

We have finally had a few top down days in NYC. I'm probably going crazy but I feel like the bass coming from my bowers is much punchier with the top down. Could it be the acoustics of having the roof off? Is there actually an audio adjustment the car makes when the top comes down? Or am I in fact crazy?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 09:06 AM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

You are not crazy the base hits hard with B&W. I haven't had my top up in months so don't know the comparison yet. lol I need to pick a song and try it with both but maybe acoustics comes in here. We got some nerds that will chime in on here. bloozemanAZ
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
Mgrae456271.00
      04-18-2023, 12:08 PM   #3
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

I believe the bass comes mostly from speakers that fire directly beneath the two front seats, so I'm not sure the acoustics of the top being up have an impact.

However, with the top down, there is a LOT more "noise cancellation/competition" from road, traffic, wind and other factors which may drown out the bass in fact to an extent. It should feel the same in your butt, LOL

Last edited by BMWGUYinCO; 04-18-2023 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
Mgrae456271.00
      04-18-2023, 12:11 PM   #4
jamodeo
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

I always thought I was crazy, but I’ve noticed for years that the B&W bass sounds much better with the windows down (in the coupe at least). Thought it was all in my head but hearing someone else describe a similar kind of thing has got me really curious now lol.
      04-18-2023, 06:41 PM   #5
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamodeo View Post
I always thought I was crazy, but I’ve noticed for years that the B&W bass sounds much better with the windows down (in the coupe at least). Thought it was all in my head but hearing someone else describe a similar kind of thing has got me really curious now lol.
Then again fair chance we're both crazy
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5222.50
      04-18-2023, 10:10 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Granted nobody is crazy here as although I've never driven my coupe with the windows down it makes potential sense as the B&W has a DEC mic somewhere in the cabin. Frankly I've never figured that out nor do I lose sleep on not doing so as the B&W provides absolutely tight accurate bass no questions asked vs the nay sayers looking for a LFE style bass.

Not sure if the PDF is still available but I've got a copy and here's a screenshot of it calling out the DEC mic. So back to the theory of making potential sense with the top down or the windows down on a coupe the B&W would compensate aka punch up the frequencies across the board not just bass.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 10:13 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
You are not crazy the base hits hard with B&W. I haven't had my top up in months so don't know the comparison yet. lol I need to pick a song and try it with both but maybe acoustics comes in here. We got some nerds that will chime in on here. bloozemanAZ
I am indeed a tech nerd (it's my career) but when it comes to audio with a decade plus of touring in bands and recording in studios (learning from the best) on this front I consider myself an audiophile.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4539.50
      04-18-2023, 10:30 PM   #8
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Granted nobody is crazy here as although I've never driven my coupe with the windows down it makes potential sense as the B&W has a DEC mic somewhere in the cabin. Frankly I've never figured that out nor do I lose sleep on not doing so as the B&W provides absolutely tight accurate bass no questions asked vs the nay sayers looking for a LFE style bass.

Not sure if the PDF is still available but I've got a copy and here's a screenshot of it calling out the DEC mic. So back to the theory of making potential sense with the top down or the windows down on a coupe the B&W would compensate aka punch up the frequencies across the board not just bass.
bloozemanAZ if I wanted my bass punchy like that at all times what would be the easiest adjustment. I ask you as our resident audiophile and also because I copied your eq settings a while ago. Would the best way be to simply increase the bass? Or more precise eq adjustments?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 10:40 PM   #9
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

If there is mic in the cabin then it could be doing all kinds of things to the music.
Including as bloozeman said, increasing various frequencies at different speeds.
It would make sense to do that in a convertible. I guess unless you could find out about the engineering on these systems we'll never know.
Just be glad you guys feel it's better and not worse.
I would imagine (never owned a convert) that most owners feel with the roof down in general, the sound is worse.

Last edited by M8Bimmer; 04-19-2023 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2023, 05:16 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrae456 View Post
bloozemanAZ if I wanted my bass punchy like that at all times what would be the easiest adjustment. I ask you as our resident audiophile and also because I copied your eq settings a while ago. Would the best way be to simply increase the bass? Or more precise eq adjustments?
If you copied the setup for the EQ from older pictures check this post https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29692134 and the subsequent post on the thread as the Evernote screen shot didn't work so it provides the granular settings vs just the pic of the EQ.

That has/is been my final config for about 18 months now. The key being it is equalized (pun intended) for both my HiReZ FLAC albums on the SSD as well as SiriusXM (should work well for Spotify as well). As mentioned all albums unfortunately are not created equal and some just have subpar mixes. To handle that on the bass front (which is the biggest loser/winner in a mix) I have memory setting #3 set to go straight to the bass trim setting. I'll either quicky dial it down (generally for the HiRez source or up for SiriusXM).

That is likely what the DEC mic is doing (bass/mid/treble) vs the overall frequencies in the EQ for when the top is down on a vert or windows in a coupe. I say that as otherwise one would think for the EQ you could use the DEC mic to calibrate just like Audyssey or Dirac with mid to high end home audio gear. Run them both on that front as a second opinion is always helpful. 👍

So to simply increase/decrease the bass just use the bass trim as it will in essence boost/lower the 2 frequencies that go to the subs under the seats via the 3 crossovers in the B&W system.
Appreciate 2
Mgrae456271.00
      04-19-2023, 10:44 PM   #11
italian926
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 530i

I dont know, but I had to fade the speaker strength to the rear, I was certain to go def from the side speakers. Holy Christ.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 11:03 PM   #12
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
If you copied the setup for the EQ from older pictures check this post https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29692134 and the subsequent post on the thread as the Evernote screen shot didn't work so it provides the granular settings vs just the pic of the EQ.

That has/is been my final config for about 18 months now. The key being it is equalized (pun intended) for both my HiReZ FLAC albums on the SSD as well as SiriusXM (should work well for Spotify as well). As mentioned all albums unfortunately are not created equal and some just have subpar mixes. To handle that on the bass front (which is the biggest loser/winner in a mix) I have memory setting #3 set to go straight to the bass trim setting. I'll either quicky dial it down (generally for the HiRez source or up for SiriusXM).

That is likely what the DEC mic is doing (bass/mid/treble) vs the overall frequencies in the EQ for when the top is down on a vert or windows in a coupe. I say that as otherwise one would think for the EQ you could use the DEC mic to calibrate just like Audyssey or Dirac with mid to high end home audio gear. Run them both on that front as a second opinion is always helpful. 👍

So to simply increase/decrease the bass just use the bass trim as it will in essence boost/lower the 2 frequencies that go to the subs under the seats via the 3 crossovers in the B&W system.
bloozeman I am in fact using your settings that you linked to. I appreciate your thorough reply. You are an asset to the forum and I very much appreciate your contributions.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2023, 09:42 AM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by italian926 View Post
I dont know, but I had to fade the speaker strength to the rear, I was certain to go def from the side speakers. Holy Christ.
Check the mid and treble trims as they should be flat. Plus, it f memory serves the upper ranges in the EQ were set too high to begin with as it was a typical V shaped pattern. I drive with the volume anywhere from 40 to 60 depending on the source/song and it is not overwhelming with center mass. Then again I like it loud
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 09:52 AM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
If there is mic in the cabin then it could be doing all kinds of things to the music.
Including as bloozeman said, increasing various frequencies at different speeds.
It would make sense to do that in a convertible. I guess unless you could find out about the engineering on these systems we'll never know.
Just be glad you guys feel it's better and not worse.
I would imagine (never owned a convert) that most owners feel with the roof down in general, the sound is worse.
I suspect that the mic is in the rear view assembly likely placed in the same enclosure as the Bluetooth mic for audio calls. The ideal spot would be dead center in the roof panel but obviously not doable for the verts so second best is the mirror assembly as somewhat center mass for the front seats and where occupants are 99% of the time in a coupe/vert.

Same spot would work on a GC as well as when it raises/lowers due to cabin/road/wind noise that would benefit those in the back seats as well. A lot of car audio systems have basically a dumbed down version usually called speed sensitive volume control. But all that does is raise the volume depending on the speed of the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 08:57 AM   #15
White8CAB
Rep
Drives: BMWIX50, Lucid Air, Tycan GTS

Convertible - number of speakers -12 or 16?

I am ordering an 850i and thinking about the B & W system? Very few reviews say it’s great but is that because they prefer after market systems. Also is it a waste of money in the convertible due to fewer speakers? The current specs say 12 speakers but some reviewers refer to 16 speakers. Also how cool are the light up speakers- is it just a gimmick ?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 10:08 AM   #16
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by White8CAB View Post
I am ordering an 850i and thinking about the B & W system? Very few reviews say it’s great but is that because they prefer after market systems. Also is it a waste of money in the convertible due to fewer speakers? The current specs say 12 speakers but some reviewers refer to 16 speakers. Also how cool are the light up speakers- is it just a gimmick ?
First off the B&W is worth every penny as it's an amazing system and will out perform even an aftermarket system. The simplest aftermarket system for a BMW is either Bavsound or Bimmertech speakers plus either a Bimmertech Alpha One amp or Audiotec Fischer MATCH 10USP amp. It is worth noting the amps are the same as Bimmertech OEMs the Audiotec Fischer MATCH amp. Combined your looking at ~$2500-$3500 plus install if you are not willing to tackle it yourself.

Most of the reviews will agree that the clarity of the B&W is phenomenal and the negative slant focussing on the bass response. Regarding the latter that is because the reviewer has a preference for LFE bass frequencies vs true musical bass which the B&W delivers in spades with 100% tight accurate bass. Calibrated correctly the B&W will deliver bass one can feel in their chest plus the amazing clear mid to higher end range frequencies, i.e., no muddiness whatsoever regardless of the volume level.

I am not sure which of the two mid-range driver/tweeter combo speakers that are sans in the vert vs the coupe. I suspect the rear deck speakers as with the top down those would just fire into the air. Hopefully someone with a vert can confirm which 2 are indeed not part of the B&W system in a vert. That said the crucial speakers in the system are identical, i.e., the subs under the seats, the center console mid-range & diamond tweeter and the front doors mid-range & diamond tweeters. That combo drives 95% of the sound for anyone in the in the driver's seat or passenger seat.

As for the lighting, it can be considered gimmicky just like gesture controls (which you won't get in a vert) but IMO it adds a great amount of esthetics to the cabin especially at night. In fact to that point I've recommended the B&W to even those that are not audio focused given the esthetics. Especially if leasing as the payment differential between stock HK vs B&W in a lease is not that much whatsoever.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Mgrae456271.00
      09-05-2023, 04:33 PM   #17
White8CAB
Rep
Drives: BMWIX50, Lucid Air, Tycan GTS

Thanks for the feedback. Booming bass isn’t as important as clarity. Probably not leasing but should have some residual value of B W system.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2023, 10:52 PM   #18
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by White8CAB View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Booming bass isn’t as important as clarity. Probably not leasing but should have some residual value of B W system.
I leased my 202 M850i coupe after educating myself here in the forum to the ins and outs plus all the levers to pull as it was my 1st lease ever. I did it as with the MF plus MSDs it was a lower APR equivalent for the 3 years than any financing option. As somewhat planned (if I loved the car), I ended up buying out the lease. It turned out to be a no brainer as love it, still practically brand new (~12K miles) and the 2023 LCI offers nothing in the way of interest.

Irony on the booming bass as just wrangled that in on the HK in the wife's new 2024 X5 40i. Just like the HK in her 2017 X5 that the insurance company totaled due to an accident that included defeating Logic7.
Appreciate 0