M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Cooling and high-performance tire package

09-05-2023, 09:54 PM   #1
Scott Coffey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i coupe

Cooling and high-performance tire package

I'm going to be buying the M850i grand coupe this spring, once my finances are in place. I've built this thing a dozen times online, but there's one piece of this puzzle that I just don't understand.

I currently have a 2015 435i coupe with all the performance upgrades. I couldn't believe the difference in handling once I got rid of the run-flats and mounted some regular Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. So naturally I want to go with the non run-flat tires there as well. My question is... why am I forced into a "cooling and high performance" tire package? I'm not going to be flogging this thing around, so I don't feel like I need a larger fan and additional oil cooler, I just want the non-run flat tires. Is there a way to get the tires without the cooling package? And if not, would I be better off just getting the standard run-flats and then mounting the non run-flats whenever I need to get new tires?

Advice appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 07:37 AM   #2
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C comp

While you may not think you need it, after idling for a 5-10 mins in the summer and driving off, that drop in power will make you wish you had additional cooling.

So is it absolutely worth it? No. But you will miss it once you have had it and don't anymore.
Appreciate 1
ed41367.50
      09-07-2023, 03:38 PM   #3
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Absolutely get that package. There's no other way to have an oil cooler, or trans cooler after. Unless you're going to drop the motor, you won't be able to retrofit any added cooling.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 11:10 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kponti View Post
While you may not think you need it, after idling for a 5-10 mins in the summer and driving off, that drop in power will make you wish you had additional cooling.
Not sure that is true as I live in Phoenix with 110 degree summer temperatures and have idled in traffic for 10 minutes+ and have never had a loss of power whatsoever.

Quote:
So is it absolutely worth it? No. But you will miss it once you have had it and don't anymore.
Don't have it on my fully loaded 2020 M850i nor do I miss it. That said if I planned to track the car I absolutely would have added it. Outside of the M850i never seeing a track its been driven hard with performance driving in back desert roads in my area hitting 140+ MPH, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 11:22 PM   #5
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Coffey View Post
Is there a way to get the tires without the cooling package? And if not, would I be better off just getting the standard run-flats and then mounting the non run-flats whenever I need to get new tires?
Spot on as there is no way to get non-runflats from the factory without optioning the tire and cooling package. You are indeed better off IMO of just taking the runflats and swapping out for non-runflats when you need new rubber. That said you may be pleasantly surprised with the runflats if you get P Zeros (BMW mixes it up) as so far they have delivered in spades for me with no issues on performance and handling.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2023, 01:51 AM   #6
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
What bloozemanAZ said. My P Zero run flats were quiet, smooth and performed well. I went with Michelin PS4 non-runflats when I went with a wider wheel. Not loving them. Which kinda surprised me.

Kept the P Zeros with enough meat on them to go back on when I sell the car.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2023, 07:17 AM   #7
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Not sure that is true as I live in Phoenix with 110 degree summer temperatures and have idled in traffic for 10 minutes+ and have never had a loss of power whatsoever.

Don't have it on my fully loaded 2020 M850i nor do I miss it. That said if I planned to track the car I absolutely would have added it. Outside of the M850i never seeing a track its been driven hard with performance driving in back desert roads in my area hitting 140+ MPH, etc.
Maybe the 850 is better on cooling than the M8 then. Cos while it doesn't always feel much slower, I lose half a second or more on average on most metrics after idling around in current TX weather
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 09:25 AM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe the 850 is better on cooling than the M8 then. Cos while it doesn't always feel much slower, I lose half a second or more on average on most metrics after idling around in current TX weather
Could be as technically a different engine N63 vs S63 although they share similar components but the S63 has some unique ones I believe and of course dials it up in HP. What is surprising that I thought would be on an M8 is the more powerful cooling fan and additional oil cooler that is the option for the M850i. Is that not the case?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 09:44 AM   #9
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

The m8 has oil cooler, trans cooler, and maybe steering fluid cooler. M850 has none of those. The 850 will overheat if pushed- it has inadequate cooling for anything other than normal driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 02:37 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasky_spas View Post
The m8 has oil cooler, trans cooler, and maybe steering fluid cooler. M850 has none of those. The 850 will overheat if pushed- it has inadequate cooling for anything other than normal driving.
Are you kidding me? Did you see my earlier post? I've pushed the hell out of my 2020 M850i with launches on my desert drive back roads followed by hard driving the rest of the way, i.e., 80 MPH easy on the curves and hitting 140+ MPH on the long straights (still haven't hit the governor limit). The entire trip is over 2 hours 30 minutes to get there (and I'm not driving like a grandma), ~1 hour on the desert back roads and 30 minutes back home (still not driving like a grandma). That includes 110 ambient temperature in the Phoenix summer time. So your assessment that a M850i has inadequate cooling for anything outside of normal driving is an absolutely ignorant uninformed statement.
Appreciate 1
KB7120.00
      09-08-2023, 03:43 PM   #11
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are you kidding me? Did you see my earlier post? I've pushed the hell out of my 2020 M850i with launches on my desert drive back roads followed by hard driving the rest of the way, i.e., 80 MPH easy on the curves and hitting 140+ MPH on the long straights (still haven't hit the governor limit). The entire trip is over 2 hours (30 minutes to get there and I'm not driving like a grandma), ~1 hour on the desert back roads and 30 minutes back home (still not driving like a grandma). That includes 110 ambient temperature in the Phoenix summer time. So your assessment that a M850i has inadequate cooling for anything outside of normal driving is an absolutely ignorant uninformed statement.
You won't get a code or cel for cooked fluids and carbon deposits throughout your block and components. Let that sink in. There's a reason every M car has coolers and the block design is the same.
Appreciate 1
ed41367.50
      09-08-2023, 04:34 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasky_spas View Post
You won't get a code or cel for cooked fluids and carbon deposits throughout your block and components. Let that sink in. There's a reason every M car has coolers and the block design is the same.
It's a car not an irreplaceable loved one. Walnut blasting for carbon deposit build up $3K (just got a quote from my SA but likely cheaper elsewhere) if I ever see that. Hence, I don't need anything to sink in as the potential maintenance is a rounding factor in my checking account and other liquid investments just equals new car and walk away. Until then I'm DILYSI as life is too short to sweat the minutiae of an easily replaceable toy.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2023, 04:58 PM   #13
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's a car not an irreplaceable loved one. Walnut blasting for carbon deposit build up $3K (just got a quote from my SA but likely cheaper elsewhere) if I ever see that. Hence, I don't need anything to sink in as the potential maintenance is a rounding factor in my checking account and other liquid investments just equals new car and walk away. Until then I'm DILYSI as life is too short to sweat the minutiae of an easily replaceable toy.
That's true too. Enjoy how you approach life! However, this post was about the op's sitch, and the cooling pack. If op can get the cooling, get the cooling for the reasons mentioned.
Appreciate 2
ed41367.50
      09-08-2023, 05:10 PM   #14
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Could be as technically a different engine N63 vs S63 although they share similar components but the S63 has some unique ones I believe and of course dials it up in HP. What is surprising that I thought would be on an M8 is the more powerful cooling fan and additional oil cooler that is the option for the M850i. Is that not the case?
To be honest, I am more aware of the cooling issues because I measured the times that happened after idling for a while and saw the acceleration loss. I may not have seen it if I wasn't measuring.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2023, 01:17 PM   #15
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
To be honest, I am more aware of the cooling issues because I measured the times that happened after idling for a while and saw the acceleration loss. I may not have seen it if I wasn't measuring.
Good point and next time I'm going to pay closer attention to see if I experience the same. If I have it wasn't immediately noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 03:43 AM   #16
Carlito_UK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Garage List
Aaaaaaaaaaaah first world.problems......love it.
Appreciate 0