M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion BMW M8 Launch Control "Chassis Stabilization Error"

05-23-2021, 09:00 PM   #1
onebigv8
United_States
Rep
Drives: M8

BMW M8 Launch Control "Chassis Stabilization Error"

With my Current BMW M8 2020 non Competition, Literally anytime I need to go into Launch Control I get into this Chassis Stabilization Error
My Settings are Sport+ Engine response, Traction Control off and Shift to first gear.
I've always driven my car for at least 15 miles before I try to Launch it.
It's literally a hit and miss... 80% of the time I get this error, the Car Does Launch eventually but with Reduced Power. Now Today this got on my nerve a Bit because I tried to Race few of my friends on the road and I always ended up with this error, so I tested by changing the Engine from Sport+ to Efficient and I noticed that this Error is almost gone in that mode....

One more thing I've always noticed is that when in launch control mode... The rear Tires Start to spin as if I'm smoking my tires.. not sure if this is related or not.

I'm not holding the throttle for too long ( 1.5 Seconds ) so I know this is not the reason... I hit the break, I hit the throttle and instantly this error is in my face...
let me know if any one has experience this before
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 07:53 AM   #2
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebigv8 View Post
With my Current BMW M8 2020 non Competition, Literally anytime I need to go into Launch Control I get into this Chassis Stabilization Error
My Settings are Sport+ Engine response, Traction Control off and Shift to first gear.
It's literally a hit and miss... 80% of the time I get this error, the Car Does Launch eventually but with Reduced Power. Now Today this got on my nerve a Bit because I tried to Race few of my friends on the road and I always ended up with this error, so I tested by changing the Engine from Sport+ to Efficient and I noticed that this Error is almost gone in that mode....

One more thing I've always noticed is that when in launch control mode... The rear Tires Start to spin as if I'm smoking my tires.. not sure if this is related or not.

I'm not holding the throttle for too long ( 1.5 Seconds ) so I know this is not the reason... I hit the break, I hit the throttle and instantly this error is in my face...
No experience here with my F92, but I had the issue with my F80 the first time I made a right turn at slow speeds after startup. It just ended up being a stabilization sensor that needed to be replaced. There's a few things it could be, including the battery the sensors are drawing from, but it should be storing the codes so you likely don't need to recreate it for the dealer.
      05-25-2021, 12:05 PM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:

It's possible you're over the limit for the new launch counter. There is a whole thread on the counter on the m5 forums.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 12:29 PM   #4
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Quote:
Chassis Stabilization Error
I'm not sure if launch control is the exact same it was in the M550 as it is in an M8, but I don't believe you should have traction control set completely to off (the long press and hold of the traction control button).

Unless you mean you do the short press to turn off Stability Control and have the car in Dynamic Traction or whatever that mode is....
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 03:41 PM   #5
onebigv8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
It's possible you're over the limit for the new launch counter. There is a whole thread on the counter on the m5 forums.
Do you have the Link to that Thread?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:29 PM   #6
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Blank

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have the Link to that Thread?
I can get it for you, yes. Give me a minute.

I believe it is this one. If not, let me know. If so, let me know either way.

Limit on LC? https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1798332

Limits.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:59 PM   #7
onebigv8
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Limits.
Thanks a lot...mine might be a bit different of an issue... Today I've literally done 3 launches while engine =comfort mode= no issues
sounds like SPORT+is the issue.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 09:49 PM   #8
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Limits.
Thanks a lot...mine might be a bit different of an issue... Today I've literally done 3 launches while engine =comfort mode= no issues
sounds like SPORT+is the issue.
Gotcha
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 09:53 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

Limits.
Wow that thread is indeed an interesting read with limeypride being the sane voice of reason throughout it. I'm guessing I have 25 or less LCs with the M850i as I don't do them unless I'm on my desert drive in which I have zero concerns on the outcome vs doing them on the street.

It sounds like (based on the latest posts) that with a stage 3 TCU tune one can overcome the limit "somewhat" as ultimately the limit is on the transmission component vs anything else (if I understand the thread correctly). So that will only apply to pre-June 2020 builds as from my understanding at that point everything is locked.
Appreciate 2
limeypride4425.00
      05-28-2021, 11:23 PM   #10
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:

Limits.
Wow that thread is indeed an interesting read with limeypride being the sane voice of reason throughout it. I'm guessing I have 25 or less LCs with the M850i as I don't do them unless I'm on my desert drive in which I have zero concerns on the outcome vs doing them on the street.

It sounds like (based on the latest posts) that with a stage 3 TCU tune one can overcome the limit "somewhat" as ultimately the limit is on the transmission component vs anything else (if I understand the thread correctly). So that will only apply to pre-June 2020 builds as from my understanding at that point everything is locked.

I've not seen anyone actually overcome this limiter—tune or otherwise. The nuance is that the car still displays and exhibits most LC characteristics such that most drivers won't notice… except one characteristic. And that "one" is the pivotal reason these cars can attain sub 3s to 60mph—without it, they simply cannot. The ZF's quick shift mode that enables this jaw-dropping launch (2.57s without the bullshit 1ft rollout on my last M5 <sub 2.4s with it> and 2.59s on my behemoth of an M8 GC) is gone—it shifts quickly but nothing like what is required for these numbers.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2023, 12:18 AM   #11
alan1213
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw m8

2020 Bmw m8 owner

my M8 is giving me the same stabilization error message on my 2020 m8, anyone have this same problem and how did u fix the problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 11:41 AM   #12
F93rod
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m8 comp

Help

Anyone figure this out yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 10:58 PM   #13
onebigv8
United_States
Rep

Just launch in Sport instead of Sport+...
Appreciate 0