M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Body shop problems

04-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Crypty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3

Body shop problems

I had a minor accident in my m3 and took it to a body shop. They had the adjuster back 3 times for supplemental costs they kept finding. I kept inquiring about when it would be done and each time they gave me a date they missed it. 4-5 times... I finally got the car back. The job was good and seemed thorough with all the extra things they replaced, and they fought the ins. for all OEM parts.
Less than a week out, a woman drove into my open door in a parking lot and did some really minor damage. Dropped the car off at the same shop on a Thursday and they told me it would probably be ready Monday. On Monday I get a call saying they had the adjuster come add supplemental things(of course) and it would be done Wednesday. I didn't hear anything until today (Friday) and it wasn't that my car was done.. They called to say someone botched the paint job (Too much paint, runs) and it failed their QC. The door needs to be sanded/repainted. They say Monday...

I'm glad they had the balls to call tell me but I am livid with this place right now. Needless to say I won't be going back. I am worried about this "Botched" paint job. I had a small ding in the corner of my door and now they whole thing has to be painted? Is this detrimental to the value or appearance of the car? Should I be raising hell with these guys or what?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

First thing, this is common with body shops. They frequently give artificially short completion times to get the business and then take longer. Is it any surprise that they have deals with rental car companies, frequently having one on site?

Second, be glad that they were honest with you. However, you should immediately file a diminished value claim with your insurance for both accidents. As a detail obsessed buyer of used cars, I carry a paint thickness gauge with me when shopping cars and it allows me to detect resprays very easily, panel by panel. I will certainly turn down a car with paint work over a non damaged car, at the very least, I'd have to really want the damaged car and would still offer significantly less than a non repaired car.

Since your car is metallic, it's impossible to match the factory flake 100%, so the approach is to try to blend the surrounding area, usually a few adjacent panels to make it less noticeable. It's very easy to use a gauge to detect just where the paint is thicker and also to check for any body filler, a complete deal breaker for me.

File your diminished value claim, your insurance company will have guidelines and should be helpful in getting you through this claim. Accidents happen, you're okay, that's the important part. But through this you did take a financial hit, but your insurance will help you reclaim that. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

I don't think a resprayed panel that was not due to an accident is that big a deal. It could be from a cart in a parking lot, an accident with a tool in the garage or kids up to no good on a Saturday night.

Obviously the fix has to be done up to standard.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
3point0
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 3.0

Garage List
2006 Audi S4 Avant  [0.00]
2005 BMW Z4  [5.67]
I'd agree that it was good of them to fess up to making a mistake. If you were happy with the work last time and they fought for OEM parts as well as being honest of the mistake and not passing QC, that puts them into the "use again" category in my opinion, not the other way around, at least until you get personal recommendations for a better alternative.

2005 Z4 3.0 steptronic | TiSilver on Black | sport & premium package | 108s | Msport seats | wind deflector
OMP strut bar | blacked out emblems | de-french-fried | sound gen | DIY aux input | custom speedo logos | stubby antenna | polished exhaust tips
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
They seem like pretty stand up guys so far... The alternative is getting the car back quickly with sub par work and them telling you to GFY when you ask them to take more time and care to get it done properly.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
They seem like pretty stand up guys so far... The alternative is getting the car back quickly with sub par work and them telling you to GFY when you ask them to take more time and care to get it done properly.
Agreed. After the first go around with them you should have adjusted your scheduling expectations. I'd rather someone take the extra week or two and do it right, than do it poorly right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Hey, you're lucky they just aren't trying to slip shoddy work by you. Them having to redo the job kills their profit so obviously they have good standards.
      04-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
Crypty
Private First Class
Rep

Responses make me feel a lot better. I've decided to just be patient and calm with them and just worry about the end result, though I do wish their timing estimates were a LOT more accurate.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
Crypty
Private First Class
Rep

Just got my car back (later than stated of course) and the news is not good. They did a bad paint job even on the second go. It appears too much paint was laid down. The paint is beaded up a bit along the bottom edge of the door(did they not remove the door and lay it flat before painting?? I even spy a tiny piece of painters tape inside the wheel well indicating so...)

There is a blob of paint accumulating near the bottom of the door so bad that the reflection of the ground is distorted and it basically looks like a dent (nowhere near the original damage either)

I also found a big paint chip, sloppily touched up with a brush on the fender which I JUST HAD REPLACED BY THEM not even week prior...

Back to the shop it goes again. I wish I could jump ship and go to a different shop..
Appreciate 0