M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Any 850 owners out there?

02-01-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Any 850 owners out there?

Anyone out there driving one yet? Post you input and pictures please
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
firstbimmernyc
Rep
Drives: M850

I've had mine for a week now. Black on black on black with carbon package. Lol. It is aggressive and elegant looking but in a kind of understated way. I also debadged it. Will not be everyone's style but it works for me. This is the pic from dealer pic up. Waiting for the weather to be at least above freezing before getting it cleaned and will submit more photos later.

Let me just say that this car is an absolute pleasure to drive. The acceleration is just ridiculous and I don't know if I would be able to appreciate it any more or less than an M5 or Merc S63. Where this car really does it for me is the xdrive. BMW has really gotten this right. It's not like the M5 where you can switch from 4 wheel to 2 wheel drive but I'm sure the M8 will. This xdrive does has rear wheel bias so I guess that's where some of that acceleration joy comes from. One thing is that this is a heavy car. But it makes the cornering and acceleration even that more impressive imo. Lol. Some like 911 and the AMG GTS but I like a little more presence in my car. If you haven't test driven one, go out and do it! The exhaust in sport plus is just nasty. It gurgles in such a great way it's amazing. But in comfort, you can tone it down and not look like a douche. Lol. But I secretly love the sound so much.

Now some negatives. Some of the interior components feel a bit cheap. Compared to my recent Range Rover the interior isn't as nice as far as material goes. Although I didn't get the individual leather or the cheeky glass gear shifter. Lol. The iDrive system is very nice but a little glitchy. Still trying to get my car play to work, but that may because my iPhone wasn't up to date. The digital key also doesn't work for me yet. Will have to get that fixed. The lane assist on this thing can jerk the car. I'm not a huge fan of it and keep it off most of the time. The heads up display is nice but flashes when you are going over the speed limit and can get annoying. I'm sure there is a way to turn it off but haven't gone in for my genius session. The room in the back is not great but is doable if you move your seat up closer. For those of you over 6'2" though you can forget about anyone sitting behind you. The digital instrument cluster is ok but would still like more customization. Audi's do it the best.

Added stuff. The reverse parking thing is fun and is somewhat useful as I park this in a tight garage. The back seats can fold down for more cargo. There is a hands free trunk which I didn't know about. The cameras on this car top notch but the added warning block colors get in the way sometimes. I'm still getting used to it.

Bottom line, I get much joy out of of this car. I use this as my daily driver now and it is fun as hell. I don't open it up everyday but when I'm the mood, it's so nice. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles like a merc but it just drives better imo. It's what BMW does. I don't need all that extra stuff and for $40k less, this thing wins imo. I'm still getting to learn this car so I'll try and update again later.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
themnmd1687.00
stein_325i25051.00
jjasonSU194.00
Ozzie8641.00
      02-01-2019, 08:18 PM   #3
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

I've had mine for about six weeks. Alpine white/night blue-black extended merino, comfort seating, M carbon roof, alcantara headliner. The "cheeky" glass controls are being added soon by the dealer.

I agree with very much of what firstbimmernyc says above. It is just a joy to drive. Powerful, smooth, quiet (except in sport and sport plus). I disagree with him regarding the interior - I know that it's getting some criticism on the boards, but I and others who have seen mine honestly believe it is first rate and melds quite nicely with the exterior design and the overall...panache...of the car.

My car had a few sample defects - a malfunctioning oxygen sensor heater and a flawed telematics control unit. Both were fixed within the first two weeks, though it took too much work on my part to get the dealer to concentrate on both, especially the latter.

As he says above, the electronics are a little glitchy, especially regarding the communications systems - iPhone/Car Play coordination, entertainment options appearing in the HUD, ConnectedDrive features, etc.

But, after a few weeks of troubleshooting, I have everything playing together nicely now. I like iDrive 7 a lot. A whole lot. I can't imagine ever going back.

firstbimmernyc: A few tips

- It is possible to get iDrive and CarPlay to work together and to be able to toggle between them on the Home screen. Just keep digging through the menus and options, particularly on the COMM page. If you have any particular questions about the settings, feel free to ask me here.

- Though iDrive 7 can handle two cell phones...it really can't. It gets really confused if more than one iPhone and/or more than one key fob are in the car. Best to keep it simple - pair only one phone to the car and try to keep the second fob out of the way, especially if you're in the process of configuring the system.

- Make sure that your in-car WiFi hotspot system is turned on and that your phone is paired with it. And make sure that the Bluetooth systems are paired. Nothing will work very well, communications-wise, until you do that. Also, the embedded AT&T WiFi chip and system are fast as hell. I surprised myself by subscribing to it (on behalf of my iPad-intensive grandson).

- Both screens are extremely configurable. Again, dig through the menu items and the Owner Manual. And, again, feel free to ask me anything. I've been through the mill.

- You can turn off the flashing speed-limit nanny. Go to Settings/Driver Assistance/Driving/Speed Limit Assistant.

- I've found the satellite radio reception to be a tad inferior to that on other BMWs. More brief dropouts under trees, though - in truth - still not very many. This could be because they have buried the satellite antenna in the rear driver-side fender rather than in a familiar exterior shark fin.

- Be sure to create a driver profile that stores your settings - and coordinate it with your ConnectedDrive account (again, that's in the menus under Driver Profile). If you do that, each time you unlock the car, it will greet you with your first name on the navi screen. That will blow away your friends.

I think that's it, but let's stay in touch.

Oh, also: The car can be coded to restore the no-dazzle brights, to turn off the annoying auto-start-stop as the default, and a few other things. See the coding thread on this page.
Attached Images

Last edited by redhot47fla; 02-02-2019 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 6
themnmd1687.00
r33_RGSport12805.00
tigres7.50
mptpa251.00
Ozzie8641.00
      02-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #4
f34
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 m60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbimmernyc View Post
I've had mine for a week now. Black on black on black with carbon package. Lol. It is aggressive and elegant looking but in a kind of understated way. I also debadged it. Will not be everyone's style but it works for me. This is the pic from dealer pic up. Waiting for the weather to be at least above freezing before getting it cleaned and will submit more photos later.

Let me just say that this car is an absolute pleasure to drive. The acceleration is just ridiculous and I don't know if I would be able to appreciate it any more or less than an M5 or Merc S63. Where this car really does it for me is the xdrive. BMW has really gotten this right. It's not like the M5 where you can switch from 4 wheel to 2 wheel drive but I'm sure the M8 will. This xdrive does has rear wheel bias so I guess that's where some of that acceleration joy comes from. One thing is that this is a heavy car. But it makes the cornering and acceleration even that more impressive imo. Lol. Some like 911 and the AMG GTS but I like a little more presence in my car. If you haven't test driven one, go out and do it! The exhaust in sport plus is just nasty. It gurgles in such a great way it's amazing. But in comfort, you can tone it down and not look like a douche. Lol. But I secretly love the sound so much.

Now some negatives. Some of the interior components feel a bit cheap. Compared to my recent Range Rover the interior isn't as nice as far as material goes. Although I didn't get the individual leather or the cheeky glass gear shifter. Lol. The iDrive system is very nice but a little glitchy. Still trying to get my car play to work, but that may because my iPhone wasn't up to date. The digital key also doesn't work for me yet. Will have to get that fixed. The lane assist on this thing can jerk the car. I'm not a huge fan of it and keep it off most of the time. The heads up display is nice but flashes when you are going over the speed limit and can get annoying. I'm sure there is a way to turn it off but haven't gone in for my genius session. The room in the back is not great but is doable if you move your seat up closer. For those of you over 6'2" though you can forget about anyone sitting behind you. The digital instrument cluster is ok but would still like more customization. Audi's do it the best.

Added stuff. The reverse parking thing is fun and is somewhat useful as I park this in a tight garage. The back seats can fold down for more cargo. There is a hands free trunk which I didn't know about. The cameras on this car top notch but the added warning block colors get in the way sometimes. I'm still getting used to it.

Bottom line, I get much joy out of of this car. I use this as my daily driver now and it is fun as hell. I don't open it up everyday but when I'm the mood, it's so nice. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles like a merc but it just drives better imo. It's what BMW does. I don't need all that extra stuff and for $40k less, this thing wins imo. I'm still getting to learn this car so I'll try and update again later.
This is an amazing car. Still in the break in period so haven't pushed it very hard yet, but on twisty country roads it's so much fun!

Also getting to like idrive 7 quite a bit. A little buggy but very intuitive and a big step up from the previous versions.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      02-02-2019, 09:31 AM   #5
mptpa
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by f34 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbimmernyc View Post

This is an amazing car. Still in the break in period so haven't pushed it very hard yet, but on twisty country roads it's so much fun!

Also getting to like idrive 7 quite a bit. A little buggy but very intuitive and a big step up from the previous versions.
What is the interior color? I'm between this exterior and sonic speed blue with Fiona red interior. Production in week 12 so I need to hurry.

Thx a lot
2015 M4 (ED Aug 2014) Austin Yellow/Sakhir Orange, EXEC, DCT, LED, Driver Assist (SOLD)
2015 328GT (ED Apr 15), White, loaded (Wife's)
2012 X3 2.8, Dark Blue/Red (Wife's SOLD)
Retired: 2011 535i, ED / 2008 335is / 2006 525i ED,
2003 525i ED / 2002 Audi TT
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #6
f34
Enlisted Member
Rep

Interior is black merino. Great combination.

Barcelona blue is a beautiful gray-ish blue, slightly understated. Sonic Speed is really vibrant and loud.
Appreciate 1
mptpa251.00
      02-02-2019, 06:37 PM   #7
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

All OPs, what tires did your 850 arrive with? Very interested in your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 08:20 PM   #8
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
All OPs, what tires did your 850 arrive with? Very interested in your opinion.
Mine came with the 19” Pirellli Cinturato P7 all-seasons - all-seasons not being something I need here in Florida.

Interesting side note: The first batch of M850s to arrive at dealers came with 19-inch wheels and chrome window (and other chrome) trim or 20-inch wheels with shadow line trim. No mixing and matching. No idea why.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 08:37 PM   #9
f34
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Mine came with the 19” Pirellli Cinturato P7 all-seasons - all-seasons not being something I need here in Florida.

Interesting side note: The first batch of M850s to arrive at dealers came with 19-inch wheels and chrome window (and other chrome) trim or 20-inch wheels with shadow line trim. No mixing and matching. No idea why.
This isn't exactly accurate:

Each dealer got one spec car at first. Some got 20s and some got the 19s.

It's true that the ordering is pretty strange when it comes to tires/wheels: There are like 4 or 5 options for 20s, all with summer or "performance" tires. Only the 19" wheel is available with all-season rubber (which is a must in the Northeast), but it forces the car to have chrome trim instead of the standard shadowline.

Our solution was to order the "standard" 20" with summer tires, and then order a "winter" package, which is winter tires with the OEM 19" wheels. That's what's on the car now, pictured in my earlier post. We will switch to the 20s with summer tires in April.
Appreciate 2
      02-02-2019, 09:13 PM   #10
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Has anyone with an M850i so far had a F13 650i or an F13 M6 to compare with?
      02-02-2019, 09:16 PM   #11
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f34 View Post
This isn't exactly accurate:

Each dealer got one spec car at first. Some got 20s and some got the 19s.

It's true that the ordering is pretty strange when it comes to tires/wheels: There are like 4 or 5 options for 20s, all with summer or "performance" tires. Only the 19" wheel is available with all-season rubber (which is a must in the Northeast), but it forces the car to have chrome trim instead of the standard shadowline.

Our solution was to order the "standard" 20" with summer tires, and then order a "winter" package, which is winter tires with the OEM 19" wheels. That's what's on the car now, pictured in my earlier post. We will switch to the 20s with summer tires in April.
Sorry. My bad. What I was trying to say is that the spec cars came with 19s and chrome or 20s with shadow. No 19s with shadow or 20s with chrome. Didn’t mean to imply anything else.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #12
firstbimmernyc
Rep
Drives: M850

Thanks for the tips redhot. I've never coded a car but your tweaks sound interesting. May consider it in the future. I have the 20 inch wheels. I will not be taking this out in winter weather as the tires are apparently not good for them. I have not had an issue thus far however. BMW has not come out with winter tires for the 20 inch rear wheels. They only have them for the front as the wheel width is wider in the back. My dealer said they would come out with them in October. They do have winter tires for 19s however. So as f34 said, you could get those set of wheels and load them on. I just didn't want to get a new set of wheels and will not drive this thing in extremely cold winter weather.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2019, 06:12 PM   #13
buddenfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

I have an i8 and my lease ends in 2 months so I went to test drive the i8 roadser and barcelona blue M850I and i think ill get the i8 roadster.

I wasnt as impressed with the barcelona color in person as I was in photos. The drive was great. Roars like a lion and the breaking response was impressive, very responsive.
However I am very used to my i8 and by comparison the 850 felt wide long heavy and large. Felt like I was steering a speedboat. I had a 650 before the i8 and the 8 felt like a faster version of the 6
Appreciate 2
jjasonSU194.00
Jo-Sta07474.00
      02-03-2019, 10:04 PM   #14
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenfan View Post
I have an i8 and my lease ends in 2 months so I went to test drive the i8 roadser and barcelona blue M850I and i think ill get the i8 roadster.

I wasnt as impressed with the barcelona color in person as I was in photos. The drive was great. Roars like a lion and the breaking response was impressive, very responsive.
However I am very used to my i8 and by comparison the 850 felt wide long heavy and large. Felt like I was steering a speedboat. I had a 650 before the i8 and the 8 felt like a faster version of the 6
The wheelbase and track are similar actually but the 850 is quite a bit heavier than the i8 and definitely very close to the 650.

Did you consider an M6 before moving to the i8?
      02-04-2019, 05:38 PM   #15
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: twin turbo 6 with frunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
The wheelbase and track are similar actually but the 850 is quite a bit heavier than the i8 and definitely very close to the 650.

Did you consider an M6 before moving to the i8?
Is the fake engine note still playing over sound system?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 01:12 AM   #16
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnStar View Post
Is the fake engine note still playing over sound system?
It is in the i8 and (was) in my M6. I’ve seen a few videos of the M850i where they talk about how bad the pumped in noise is in the M850i. I haven’t seen a post yet talking about unplugging it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 01:37 AM   #17
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: twin turbo 6 with frunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
It is in the i8 and (was) in my M6. I’ve seen a few videos of the M850i where they talk about how bad the pumped in noise is in the M850i. I haven’t seen a post yet talking about unplugging it.
I heard if engine sound is unplugged, engine loses 121 hp and 145 ft/lbs??
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 05:50 AM   #18
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

It's fake in my 840d and doesn't sound too bad. We'd better get used to it as it is the only way we'll hear it when we're all electric, but at least the tech will allow you to select V6/8/12 and artificially create it! It will be just like interior lighting, lots of choices until eventually no one remembers combustion engines and then silence which we'll need as we'll be watching screens as the car drives itself.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 05:51 AM   #19
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

PS: I like the autonomous mode in my 8. I wish it stayed on longer cuts out way too soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 12:05 PM   #20
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Pumped in sound is a bit annoying, however overall it is a very good car. The M8 will be better, tighter and more alive. Over time the pumped in sound will either be improved or maybe go away altogether. We can only hope
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 11:40 PM   #21
fl650
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 & 2016 BMW X1

Redhot47fla, could you please post images of your interior? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 05:57 AM   #22
DVR
Rep
Drives: BMW 840i , Porsche 911 turbo

This is my spec, can't wait till July.
Carbon black with Merino Cognac.

Appreciate 6