M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos After 8 months of M3 ownership, it's time to say goodbye!

10-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #23
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

Color blind dude

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #24
Diavel Tom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Nice car....well done sir.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #25
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Congrats! Excellent choice. Welcome to the club. What year is it? It looks clean - new or has very low miles?

If you haven't already, you should check out the GTR forum (nagtroc.com). You don't have to worry any M3 kool-aid drinkers trying to rain on your parade when you make a post about your new ride. Some of it's amusing. There are at least three other members from m3post I know of who are currently on there. It's a great place for info and you can check out some amazing modded GTRs. You will find that the forum is more open minded and less restricted with many owners having a wide variety of fast cars. See you there.

Last edited by erio; 10-08-2011 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #26
rye m3
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Hey Dave! Man, both of us owned 997s and then M3s! I understand the stats of the GTR, but never really got the appeal. The car is not that attractive to me. I start to look at Porsche turbos - the Car and Driver article seemed misguided. The GTR looks pretty hot in red, of course I think my M3 looks hotter! Enjoy her anyway!

2007 997S - sold
2003 E46 M3 Steel Grey on Red- sold
1997 E36 M3 Arctic Silver on Black- sold
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 01:03 AM   #27
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
Every time I look at the nose of an R35, I wonder who designed it ... and wtf they were thinking.
The rest of the car looks so good that the contrast/mis-match is just jarring.

But, that's what you get when you divide up the exterior design between design offices in japan (front), US(mid), and England(rear) (IIRC).

-scheherazade
It was purposely designed to look unmistakably Japanese... It's not mean to be a sleek, harmonious design... more like Japanese robot mecha... specifically like the face of a Japanese "Gundam" robot like this one.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #28
Gee-klaw
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHutchinson View Post
... in a few years
Yeh right! lol

Congrats Dave - can't wait to have a close look.

Cheers
      10-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #29
GOVCO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 AW M3 DCT [Slight Mods]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
I agree. It is Asian.

The GTR is a vehicle built with a single minded purpose: to the be fastest point A to B tool under a given price ceiling. If that is what you want, look no further.

Then there is this viewpoint:

[Click....File...Save As...File Name...M3.HaterVidz.htm....] Thanks....lol
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #30
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
It was purposely designed to look unmistakably Japanese... It's not mean to be a sleek, harmonious design... more like Japanese robot mecha... specifically like the face of a Japanese "Gundam" robot
Yes, I know of the Gundam robot design basis. There, are, however, a not insignificant number of people that find it ugly, whatever it is based on. As far as being unmistakably Japanese, IMO the Japanese produced some of the hottest looking sports cars in their time. The 1990's supercars to come out of Japan were all serious hot looking cars in their time. The 300Z, Supra, RX7, and 3000GT. I drooled over them all back then, even though I couldn't afford a single one. I owned two Honda Preludes, which to me, were also very good looking cars. Are these not Japanese designs? In 2004, I bought a 350Z, which I still think is one of the hottest looking designs ever made. What was so "un-Japanese" about this? The Lexus line, the Infiniti line, likewise both are very nicely styled, inside and out. In fact, one could argue that the GTR is the extreme outlier in terms of Japanese design. You can make a car look unique without making it ugly. I think Cadillac has done this nicely with the CTS model.

There are also people like myself that are looking for more than just a pure max performance tool when in comes to a car. The GTR and M3 really aren't even the same class or type of car. We are really talking apple/orange here. The GTR is really a Japanese competitor to cars like the Corvette, Viper, GT500, upcoming Camaro ZL-1. In other words, a muscle car. All performance, little refinement.

It's great that the OP is excited about his GTR. It is an amazing machine for what it is, but it is not what I am looking for in a car, so don't expect me to get down on my hands and knees and start chanting "We are not worthy, we are not worthy".

Know what I mean?
      10-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #31
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I know of the Gundam robot design basis. There, are, however, a not insignificant number of people that find it ugly, whatever it is based on. As far as being unmistakably Japanese, IMO the Japanese produced some of the hottest looking sports cars in their time. The 1990's supercars to come out of Japan were all serious hot looking cars in their time. The 300Z, Supra, RX7, and 3000GT. I drooled over them all back then, even though I couldn't afford a single one. I owned two Honda Preludes, which to me, were also very good looking cars. Are these not Japanese designs? In 2004, I bought a 350Z, which I still think is one of the hottest looking designs ever made. What was so "Un-japanese about this" The Lexus line, the Infiniti line, likewise both are very nicely styled, inside and out. In fact, one could argue that the GTR is the extreme outlier in terms of Japanese design. You can make a car look unique without making it ugly. I think Cadillac has done this nicely with the CTS model.

There are also people like myself that are looking for more than just a pure max performance tool when in comes to a car. The GTR and M3 really aren't even the same class or type of car. We are really talking apple/orange here. The GTR is really a Japanese competitor to cars like the Corvette, Viper, GT500, upcoming Camaro ZL-1. In other words, a muscle car. All performance, little refinement.

It's great that the OP is excited about his GTR. It is an amazing machine for what it is, but it is not what I am looking for in a car.
No offense but I don't think he posted this to find out what other's are looking for in a car or to get our approval. If so he would have probably posted in the "M3 vs" section. He simply posted to show us his new ride. I think he knows and obtained what he wanted. That's what's important. I'm sure he did his research before purchasing. I don't think we need some 3+ year old caranddriver video praising the M3....lol.

Last edited by erio; 10-09-2011 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #32
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
I don't think we need some 3+ year old caranddriver video praising the M3....lol.
1. If I am not mistaken, his GTR is this version, and not the newer 2012 model, so the video is still relevant despite its age

2. When you post on an M3 forum, you will get comments relative to the M3 from M3 owners

3. Not every comment on a forum is going to be supportive or show approval. Does this surprise you?

4. I am not making any offensive personal derogatory comments, so what's the big deal?

Last edited by LarThaL; 10-09-2011 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #33
DaveHutchinson
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 Cayman GT4

Quote:
1. If I am not mistaken, his GTR is this version, and not the newer 2012 model, so the video is still relevant despite its age

2. When you post on an M3 forum, you will get comments relative to the M3 from M3 owners

3. Not every comment on a forum is going to be supportive or show approval. Does this surprise you?

4. I am not making any offensive personal derogatory comments, so what's the big deal?
Everyone's entitled to their opinion and I appreciate you voicing it Ina controlled manner.

I don't see the GTR as a muscle car, it'll run rings around many supercars on the track, it's far from a one trick pony.

The 12 changed nothing that would alter the outcome of the posted video. That is one opinion and a perfectly valid one yet there are just as many if not more tests and videos claiming the opposite.

Past - Shelby GT350, Aston Martin GT, 991 Carrera S, Ferrari F430, Mclaren MP4-12C, Jaguar F-Type V8S, Nissan GT-R, BMW E92 M3....
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #34
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by i3urton View Post
lol your at the ceiling.. after the gtr whats next????? not much lol.but congrats!!!.friend went back to a m3 after a gtr for a year. he misses the power.
The GT-R has more HP and more tq then an M3....His butt dyno must be messed up.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #35
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I agree that when you create a thread about another car, esp. on the m3 forum, one should expect to receive the typical response from a few loyal members. Of course everyone has a right to express their opinion, it does get a bit old. With a thread such as this I'm in favor of the old "if you don't have something nice/positive to say don't say anything at all." What's the point of bringing up a comparison test to a previous M3 owner who posts about his new ride? He didn't state the m3 wasn't a good car, but he found something else that may suit him better. It doesn't mean anyone else has to like it. That video is well known by the m3 fans....it's like preaching to the choir.

While the 2012 had the most significant changes, there was a small power bump in 2010 and both the 2010 and 2011 had different suspension tweaks. In that test they are using the 2009. I doubt either of these would have changed the caranddriver opinion. However, that's not the point.

Don't get me wrong as I'm a huge BMW/M fan and look forward to what the f30 m3 has to offer. I will miss it having a v8, but I don't think they will let us down. Forced induction does have it's perks .

Last edited by erio; 10-09-2011 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #36
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I agree that when you create a thread about another car, esp. on the m3 forum, one should expect to receive the typical response from a few loyal members. Of course everyone has a right to express their opinion, it does get a bit old. With a thread such as this I'm in favor of the old "if you don't have something nice/positive to say don't say anything at all." What's the point of bringing up a comparison test to a previous M3 owner who posts about his new ride? He didn't state the m3 wasn't a good car, but he found something else that may suit him better. It doesn't mean anyone else has to like it. That video is well known by the m3 fans....it's like preaching to the choir.

While the 2012 had the most significant changes, there was a small power bump in 2010 and both the 2010 and 2011 had different suspension tweaks. In that test they are using the 2009. I doubt either of these would have changed the caranddriver opinion. However, that's not the point.

Don't get me wrong as I'm a huge BMW/M fan and look forward to what the f30 m3 has to offer. I will miss it having a v8, but I don't think they will let us down. Forced induction does have it's perks .
Honestly, I think it has more to do with the timing of the post. There seem to be a lot of GTR posts lately. I am merely pointing out that the GTR is not for everyone, despite it's objectively superior performance. I test drove a GTR 3 times, once for almost 2 hours. I still chose the M3 for reasons that I have mentioned many times before.

As far as "not having anything nice to say"......hey, this is an internet discussion forum. If we can never discuss, debate, have contrary opinions, what's the point? The key is to keep it civil and be respectful. Never make a discussion about a car into a personal bashing, etc, etc.

I hope the OP enjoys his GTR as much as I enjoy my M3
      10-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #37
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Honestly, I think it has more to do with the timing of the post. There seem to be a lot of GTR posts lately. I am merely pointing out that the GTR is not for everyone, despite it's objectively superior performance. I test drove a GTR 3 times, once for almost 2 hours. I still chose the M3 for reasons that I have mentioned many times before.
Yes I have noticed your posts about this on other GTR related threads. You certainly have a right to state your opinion and have a healthy discussion. That's not what I was saying. I just feel that specific comments are appropriate for certain topics. I think there are more GTR posts lately because it's popularity and acceptance level has been on a major rise, esp. since the release of the 2012. Many of those that have the ability are jumping on board. It makes it hard to keep up. You can find many m3/bmw, porsche, amg, etc. driver's over on the GTR forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #38
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Yes I have noticed your posts about this on other GTR related threads. You certainly have a right to state your opinion and have a healthy discussion. That's not what I was saying. I just feel that specific comments are appropriate for certain topics. I think there are more GTR posts lately because it's popularity and acceptance level has been on a major rise, esp. since the release of the 2012. Many of those that have the ability are jumping on board. It makes it hard to keep up. You can find many m3/bmw, porsche, amg, etc. driver's over on the GTR forum.
That's because the GT-R hauls *** for the price.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #39
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

GAWDZILLA! Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #40
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Wow.. I am having a very similar dilemma right now.. My 135i is constantly in the shop and my family HATEs the BMW brand because of it.. I really want to trade my 135i in for a used M3.. But on the other hand I have seen some good prices on used GTRs and I could pay a little more and be in super-car territory.

The GTRs repair costs are nuts.. But Im worried about another BMW just braking down every other month.. Also me being 22 years old (I turn 23 jan 1st) God knows how much insurance would be... I graduate USF in a semester and might have to knock out a class or 2 in the summer. I will have a bachelors of Finance.. So I hope to be working soon... Key word HOPE...

SORRY did not mean to but its seems close to my situation.. Any thoughts?

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #41
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Yes, I know of the Gundam robot design basis. There, are, however, a not insignificant number of people that find it ugly, whatever it is based on. As far as being unmistakably Japanese, IMO the Japanese produced some of the hottest looking sports cars in their time. The 1990's supercars to come out of Japan were all serious hot looking cars in their time. The 300Z, Supra, RX7, and 3000GT. I drooled over them all back then, even though I couldn't afford a single one. I owned two Honda Preludes, which to me, were also very good looking cars. Are these not Japanese designs? In 2004, I bought a 350Z, which I still think is one of the hottest looking designs ever made. What was so "un-Japanese" about this? The Lexus line, the Infiniti line, likewise both are very nicely styled, inside and out. In fact, one could argue that the GTR is the extreme outlier in terms of Japanese design. You can make a car look unique without making it ugly. I think Cadillac has done this nicely with the CTS model.

It's great that the OP is excited about his GTR. It is an amazing machine for what it is, but it is not what I am looking for in a car, so don't expect me to get down on my hands and knees and start chanting "We are not worthy, we are not worthy".

Know what I mean?
I think the CTS is horrible looking - just as a reference point. I mean arguing about looks on any "controversial" design is fairly pointless IMO; although I do it too. There will be people on both sides that just won't get the other's point of view.

I agree on the 300, Supra, RX7, and 3000 by the way, but interestingly, I have never really like the 350. I don't dislike it, and I think it can look quite nice with the right setup, but I don't feel any emotion when I look at the car. So just another data point on how subjective it all can be : )

The GTR was a bit out of price range, but I did briefly consider it. Like you, the thing that scared me away was the daily drivability/luxury in comparison to the M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #42
DaveHutchinson
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
Wow.. I am having a very similar dilemma right now.. My 135i is constantly in the shop and my family HATEs the BMW brand because of it.. I really want to trade my 135i in for a used M3.. But on the other hand I have seen some good prices on used GTRs and I could pay a little more and be in super-car territory.

The GTRs repair costs are nuts.. But Im worried about another BMW just braking down every other month.. Also me being 22 years old (I turn 23 jan 1st) God knows how much insurance would be... I graduate USF in a semester and might have to knock out a class or 2 in the summer. I will have a bachelors of Finance.. So I hope to be working soon... Key word HOPE...

SORRY did not mean to but its seems close to my situation.. Any thoughts?
You're at USF? Small world! I'm back there at the moment, career change into medicine You'll probably see my car around, I park it in on campus every day.

Past - Shelby GT350, Aston Martin GT, 991 Carrera S, Ferrari F430, Mclaren MP4-12C, Jaguar F-Type V8S, Nissan GT-R, BMW E92 M3....
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #43
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHutchinson View Post
You're at USF? Small world! I'm back there at the moment, career change into medicine You'll probably see my car around, I park it in on campus every day.
NICE!.. But im at the sarasota campus... I would like to hangout and talk about the car if thats cool with you? Cus my 135i is junk.

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by NewYearsBoy; 10-09-2011 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #44
coogs08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

congrats on the new beauty.
Appreciate 0