M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Rear Spoiler Option

10-01-2020, 10:23 PM   #1
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Rear Spoiler Option

Anyone familiar with this company...I've been looking for a black gloss non-carbon option, although at approx $200USD it seems kind of inexpensive but maybe it's decent? I've emailed them to see if it fits over the existing spoiler.
https://www.autoaccessoarer.com/en/c...-rear-spoiler/

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 11:47 PM   #2
Paolo73
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4 YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Anyone familiar with this company...I've been looking for a black gloss non-carbon option, although at approx $200USD it seems kind of inexpensive but maybe it's decent? I've emailed them to see if it fits over the existing spoiler.
https://www.autoaccessoarer.com/en/c...-rear-spoiler/
Stay away from that polish company.
Cheaper but poor quality.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11289.50
      10-02-2020, 12:11 AM   #3
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo73 View Post
Too bad, but will do.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 04:28 AM   #4
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo73 View Post
Too bad, but will do.
That looks to be the Maxton Design one from the UK. Same pictures in the link. They are ABS plastic and they make them for a lot of euro cars. Never had one though. See here

https://www.maxtondesign.co.uk/index...roduct_id=4683

I ended up buying the M8 carbon spoiler that I'll probably install next week.
      10-02-2020, 05:16 AM   #5
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Yes Maxton Design makes good stuff and very decent quality that is what I hear and read around. They are popular and their prices, for the quality and material you get I'd say is just fine.
I have this big doubt too which way to go for the rear spoiler. Please those who have or will have the M8 rear spoiler on their M850i post some pics. I love the 3-D design one but t costs 1315 Euro over here.... the M8 one 900 Euro. In both cases that's lots of cash for a spoiler but definitely a nice upgrade compared to the thin "spoiler lip" which disappears under that huge trunk / body.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2020, 05:30 AM   #6
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
Yes Maxton Design makes good stuff and very decent quality that is what I hear and read around. They are popular and their prices, for the quality and material you get I'd say is just fine.
I have this big doubt too which way to go for the rear spoiler. Please those who have or will have the M8 rear spoiler on their M850i post some pics. I love the 3-D design one but t costs 1315 Euro over here.... the M8 one 900 Euro. In both cases that's lots of cash for a spoiler but definitely a nice upgrade compared to the thin "spoiler lip" which disappears under that huge trunk / body.
I'll post some pictures after I put it on for you. The stock tiny lip is very underwhelming!
      10-02-2020, 08:38 AM   #7
edwarjejeega
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i, '18 X6M, '16 M4

That's maxton design. I didn't buy their spoiler since you can read above ^ cheaper quality but it does look really good and the fitment is really nice (my buddy has the spoiler for his). I however did get the front lip and side skirts since I'm bound to break/scrape and have to get new ones. And they look really good

Also, if you have the carbon package on your car I suggest to steer away from getting a spoiler. It's linked with Betalink adhesive and it's a huge pain to get off. It will surely scratch the paint in the process of doing so. Here is another reference of the hassle you'd have to go through. Mainly why I left getting a spoiler alone completely.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
FBMWWINS603.50
RJC-11289.50
      10-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #8
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwarjejeega View Post
That's maxton design. I didn't buy their spoiler since you can read above ^ cheaper quality but it does look really good and the fitment is really nice (my buddy has the spoiler for his). I however did get the front lip and side skirts since I'm bound to break/scrape and have to get new ones. And they look really good

Also, if you have the carbon package on your car I suggest to steer away from getting a spoiler. It's linked with Betalink adhesive and it's a huge pain to get off. It will surely scratch the paint in the process of doing so. Here is another reference of the hassle you'd have to go through. Mainly why I left getting a spoiler alone completely.
Thanks for the heads up. Mine is the standard painted spoiler lip, not the carbon one. I guess I'll see how easy it comes off, hoping it's the spoiler tape.
      10-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #9
edwarjejeega
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i, '18 X6M, '16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMofoFrog View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the heads up. Mine is the standard painted spoiler lip, not the carbon one. I guess I'll see how easy it comes off, hoping it's the spoiler tape.
Don't quote me on this, but you should be fine then! It should be double sided tape
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #10
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Thanks also from my side for notifying.

In that case, 3D-Design seems the way to go!

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1756916

I prefer it if it can be indeed, as documented above, have it installed over the old one. It's expensive but at least it goes the whole length of the rear trunk whereas the M8 one is shorter and stay just over the middle part.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 01:36 PM   #11
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks, I would only want one that fits over the existing spoiler

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 03:44 PM   #12
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Update with install. No Betalink thank god!!!

Replacing my M850i lip spoiler with the M8 Carbon Fiber rear spoiler.
Was a pretty straight forward install with most of the time spent removing the adhesive tape and residue from the old one.
Using a heat gun on low, I warmed the old spoiler being careful not to get it and the surrounding paint hot. Using a nylon thin rope attached at each end to a plastic rod as a handle. In a slight sawing motion I pulled it though the adhesive tape and the spoiler came off.
Using a soft plastic blade tool and soaking the remaining adhesive with 3m adhesive remover, followed by wiping, all the adhesive was removed. This probably took about 45 minutes being careful not to push too hard and scratch or mar the paint. Letting the 3m adhesive remover soak in for 15 seconds or so it just lifted off easily.

Next came polishing the area underneath with Wolfgang Swirl remover and finishing glaze. I then wiped the area with isopropyl alcohol to assist the new spoiler adhesive tape sticking.

The BMW spoiler tape kit is precut and easily attached (green side against the spoiler) to the spoiler.

I carefully measured and placed masking tape to outline the new spoiler positioning. When I was ready to attach the spoiler, I peeled back about an inch and a half the backing and place the spoiler in position, then pulled the backing off and pressed down for 30+ seconds multiple times along the length of the spoiler to ensure the adhesive grabs.

As the spoiler is positioned, and especially if your car is black, the carbon spoiler may leave a few little light scratches that if you are OCD like me will need a couple swipes of swirl remover to clean up.

Overall a pretty easy job and total time was around 1.5 hours taking my time. A few pics below. Enjoy!
Attached Images

RJC-11289.50
      10-13-2020, 10:15 PM   #13
B1N
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Quote:

Was a pretty straight forward install with most of the time spent removing the adhesive tape and residue from the old one.
Using a heat gun on low, I warmed the old spoiler being careful not to get it and the surrounding paint hot. Using a nylon thin rope attached at each end to a plastic rod as a handle. In a slight sawing motion I pulled it though the adhesive tape and the spoiler cam off.
Using a soft plastic blade tool and soaking the remaining adhesive with 3m adhesive remover, followed by wiping, all the adhesive was removed. This probably took about 45 minutes being careful not to push too hard and scratch or mar the paint. Letting the 3m adhesive remover soak in for 15 seconds or so it just lifted off easily.

Next came polishing the area underneath with Wolfgang Swirl remover and finishing glaze. I then wiped the area with isopropyl alcohol to assist the new spoiler adhesive tape sticking.

The BMW spoiler tape kit is precut and easily attached (green side against the spoiler) to the spoiler.

I carefully measured and placed masking tape to outline the new spoiler positioning. When I was ready to attach the spoiler, I peeled back about an inch and a half the backing and place the spoiler in position, then pulled the backing off and pressed down for 30+ seconds multiple times along the length of the spoiler to ensure the adhesive grabs.

As the spoiler is positioned, and especially if your car is black, the carbon spoiler may leave a few little light scratches that if you are OCD like me will need a couple swipes of swirl remover to clean up.

Overall a pretty easy job and total time was around 1.5 hours taking my time. A few pics below. Enjoy!
Nice - looks great! Any more pics of the spoiler?

Where did you buy it from and how much btw? I'm from ON too!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #14
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1N View Post
Quote:

Using a heat gun on low, I warmed the old spoiler being careful not to get it and the surrounding paint hot. Using a nylon thin rope attached at each end to a plastic rod as a handle. In a slight sawing motion I pulled it though the adhesive tape and the spoiler cam off.

Nice - looks great! Any more pics of the spoiler?

Where did you buy it from and how much btw? I'm from ON too!
Thanks! I'll try and take a few more outside the garage if I get a chance.

I ordered from Schmiedmann in Europe. Local dealers in Ontario couldn't give an eta and told me it could be months. Here are the part numbers.

Adhesive Tape Rear Spoiler - 51628084573

Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler - 51628083397

If you search their site for these part numbers they are now on their site.
Attached Images

10-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #15
B1N
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Quote:
Thanks! I'll try and take a few more outside the garage if I get a chance.

I ordered from Schmiedmann in Europe. Local dealers in Ontario couldn't give an eta and told me it could be months. Here are the part numbers.

Adhesive Tape Rear Spoiler - 51628084573

Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler - 51628083397

If you search their site for these part numbers they are now on their site.

Looks really good! Glad you got rid of the stock ones that came with the car. Thanks for the info, i'll take a look through them

Cheers
Appreciate 1