M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Is the M8 Comp comfortable?

08-21-2020, 05:48 PM   #23
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl650 View Post
I would strongly advise against buying this car. Unless you're looking for something in white, black, or variable shades of gray, many of the remaining vehicles are equipped with "Driver Assistance Package 2" for $500 which doesn't include the 3D View Surround cameras. These are invaluable for pulling into tight parking spaces and avoiding ground obstacles. I would suggest looking for a car equipped with Driver Assistance Package (ZDA) at $1100. Many have discovered this only after purchasing their cars and there are multiple threads describing buyer remorse and attempts to retrofit vehicles to capture some of the missing features.
Agree and out of the eight M8s on the ground here in AZ seven have the Driver Assistance Package 2 (ZDX) with only one having the full boat Driving Assistance Package (ZDA). In the addition to lack of 3D view the advanced parking assistant features are also missing in ZDX.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2020, 05:59 PM   #24
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8you View Post
I just read about there being no allocations for 2021 M8's in the US. I remember reading on the forums that it's possible to get a 15-20% discount but when I asked the sales guy @ the dealership, he basically called me crazy & started being rude to me. He also told me I'd never find that type of discount anywhere. I also mentioned how these cars are sitting on the lot currently & he said "did you hear that from the same guy who said you could get a 15-20% discount?" I guess I'll shop around a bit more. The thing is there's a lack of selection for the m8 comp coupe with specs I'd like.
As per my earlier post with the reality of zero 2021s hitting the US the supply factor has now shifted into the dealer's favor in any negotiation. We're sitting at about 12 months from now before a 2022 will hit the ground here in the US. Thus, I suspect for the next 9 months or so the dealers will play harder ball on deep discounts.
Appreciate 2
i8you5.00
      08-21-2020, 06:07 PM   #25
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 i7 and '23 M8 Competition

The seats are not really that comfortable, but they are indeed sporty.

The movable (mechanical, not electric) thigh support feels and looks a little cheap to me.

Just my opinion.

2021 M8 Competition - Frozen Grey
Appreciate 4
Ozzie8641.00
i8you5.00
Wing Co239.00
      08-21-2020, 06:09 PM   #26
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
I forgot to address your earlier question on overall comfort for a 8-series for long drives, e.g., your example of being all over the tri-state area. I'm 6'6" and have a bit more upper body height in the overall ratio. Thus, thanks to my Dad this bit of genetics has left me with similar lower back issues just like he had. In my prior sport sedans 5 to 6 hours was tops behind the wheel and by hour 4 I had already started to squirm in the seat trying to get my lower back comfortable.

I made the drive out to San Diego to visit our son and his wife in June with the M850i which clocks in at about 5 and a half hours. I was comfortable the entire time and based on it I can see an easy 7 or 8 hours behind the wheel of the M850i if ever needed. The seats are stellar from lumbar control, etc. and the M8 seats are identical with the only difference being the diamond weave aesthetic vs the "V" weave on the M850i seats. Thus, if you do end up in a M8C Coupe you should be golden for your drives from an in the seat comfort perspective.
Appreciate 1
i8you5.00
      08-21-2020, 06:10 PM   #27
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwestfield View Post
The seats are not really that comfortable, but they are indeed sporty.

The movable (mechanical, not electric) thigh support feels and looks a little cheap to me.

Just my opinion.
Agreed on the thigh support aspect but overall comfort factor at least in my option is they are a winner.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 06:18 PM   #28
chador
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 GC Competition 2020

Very plush, very comfortable. WAY more comfortable than the M6 Comp.
Appreciate 2
i8you5.00
      08-21-2020, 08:46 PM   #29
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Resjudicata, unless something has changed, my understanding is that new Ferraris aren't discounted, and MSRP is a "good" price (assuming a dealer will even sell you a car out of their allocation). That seems to still be the case with Florida dealers. Is your experience different?
I went to school with one the "managers" at my local dealership. everyone there is a VP, sales ambassador or sales manager. but my buddy says his title is "Sales Manager".
either way, for my first Ferrari ever, he gave me about 10% off the top, but then added in all sorts of fees. Taxes and title and doc fees in our area get them back close to that 10%. Then he took $130k off for my trade in, and the bottom line was very reasonable for my deal.

I think they used any profit on my F8 spider to get the m850i convertible to sell that for their profits. I imagine that 130k is pure profit, and even 80k or less at auction will be a good profit for them today.

also mine was off the lot, not specifically an allocation custom build. and it had a lot of useless options that are way over priced. But I love the sound it makes, and it's a hardtop.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 03:07 PM   #30
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i, 2012 528i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8you View Post
I just read about there being no allocations for 2021 M8's in the US. I remember reading on the forums that it's possible to get a 15-20% discount but when I asked the sales guy @ the dealership, he basically called me crazy & started being rude to me. He also told me I'd never find that type of discount anywhere. I also mentioned how these cars are sitting on the lot currently & he said "did you hear that from the same guy who said you could get a 15-20% discount?" I guess I'll shop around a bit more. The thing is there's a lack of selection for the m8 comp coupe with specs I'd like.

I was just looking around online & this one caught my eye

https://www.princetonbmw.com/new/BMW...64be1d67cd.htm

Love the Aventurine Red Metallic & it also has the Bower's & Wilkins Audio System which I wanted that most of the available cars don't have. Also like that this has the gold carbon ceramic brakes. Probably gonna make a few calls tomorrow. How much of a discount do you guys think I should shoot for on this car? Thank you guys for chiming in & letting me know I wasn't getting a good deal originally with the 6% off. I also heard rumors that the 8 series might be discontinued altogether in 2022 which is a bummer
Try 10% at least. The dealer will push back...but if you push a lil more they'll give it to you for at least 10%. Just for context, I got 8% off a custom build 2021 M8 GC. You should be able to get at least 10% off the lot. The sweet spot would be 12-15% if you can get it but definitely don't do less than 10%.

Btw the car is beautiful. I hope you get a good deal on it.
Appreciate 1
i8you5.00
      08-22-2020, 05:16 PM   #31
austinsl
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i, M8 Competition

I got an M8 competition convertible so I could get the color combo I wanted. The ride is not too stiff. I do drive it in regular mode mostly. Haven’t tried M mode yet but I’m waiting until I cross 1,200 miles.

Years ago, I had a 2012 Ford GT500 that was much stiffer and actually a harsh ride.

I think competition or non-competition comes down to taste and preference. I don’t think the ride is too stiff. And again, to get Metigo with the beige/black 2-tone interior I had no choice but to get a Comp.

My DD is an X7 M50i which in comparison to the comp is a soft cushy ride. So I actually enjoy getting in the Comp.

Maybe see if there is a dealer that has both a non comp and a comp and you could do a test drive to compare?

They’re pricey. No point regretting your purchase.
Appreciate 1
i8you5.00
      08-25-2020, 08:25 AM   #32
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by c^2 View Post
I drove the following before I got my M8 comp:

-Mercedes S560 coupe, S63 coupe
-Audi: S7, RS7 (now previous gen)
-BMW: 550i, M5, M5comp, 850i, M8, M8 comp (coupes only)
-Porsche: 911 (992 generation, 4s model)

M8 comp is plenty comfortable and is my 24/7 car. Driven it in snow storms, 100 mile hauls, to and from work in city traffic.

Love the car, when it works. If you're getting a good deal on the M8, I'd say go for it. If they're only offering you 4-6% off, I'd recommend an S63 over the M8. S63 is slower than an M8 but still plenty fast overall and does a better job for as a gran touring car in my opinion.
'When it works'

Please share, issues with these cars?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 08:31 AM   #33
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
I would strongly advise against buying this car. Unless you're looking for something in white, black, or variable shades of gray, many of the remaining vehicles are equipped with "Driver Assistance Package 2" for $500 which doesn't include the 3D View Surround cameras. These are invaluable for pulling into tight parking spaces and avoiding ground obstacles. I would suggest looking for a car equipped with Driver Assistance Package (ZDA) at $1100. Many have discovered this only after purchasing their cars and there are multiple threads describing buyer remorse and attempts to retrofit vehicles to capture some of the missing features.
Agree and out of the eight M8s on the ground here in AZ seven have the Driver Assistance Package 2 (ZDX) with only one having the full boat Driving Assistance Package (ZDA). In the addition to lack of 3D view the advanced parking assistant features are also missing in ZDX.
The 850i is set up as a trackable street car and the M8 is happy on both. The M8 comp is a streets left track car.

This is taken from some slideshow bmw gave when they launched the 5 tier m system.
If you want comfort get a 840i luxury or if you want power and comfort get an Alpina.

The nice thing about the 8 series is the long wheel base means all these cars are softer in suspension set up than a 2 series or 911 or corvette or other high end sports car and able to achieve the same handling ability (at the cost of weight).

So of the competition of high end sports cars? It will be the softest and most comfortable at the cost of weight and thus longer braking distance. Not a bad compromise.

But if you are shopping 8 series or luxury GT the M8 competition is going to the be the least comfortable and cars like the S6 or S class will out shine it.

Hopefully that helps as your question is sort of vague in that we need to know from what perspective you are buying the car.
Appreciate 1
i8you5.00
      08-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #34
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The 850i is set up as a trackable street car and the M8 is happy on both. The M8 comp is a streets left track car.

This is taken from some slideshow bmw gave when they launched the 5 tier m system.
If you want comfort get a 840i luxury or if you want power and comfort get an Alpina.

The nice thing about the 8 series is the long wheel base means all these cars are softer in suspension set up than a 2 series or 911 or corvette or other high end sports car and able to achieve the same handling ability (at the cost of weight).

So of the competition of high end sports cars? It will be the softest and most comfortable at the cost of weight and thus longer braking distance. Not a bad compromise.

But if you are shopping 8 series or luxury GT the M8 competition is going to the be the least comfortable and cars like the S6 or S class will out shine it.

Hopefully that helps as your question is sort of vague in that we need to know from what perspective you are buying the car.
A corvette may actually ride softer or as soft as an 8er. GM's Mangneride suspension systems are some of the best in the business, with many C8 reviews quoting luxury car like comfort.
      08-25-2020, 09:11 AM   #35
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
i8you were you test driving the m850i in the BMW multi story car park?

The 8 series, all models, is the ultimate cruiser on long highway or interstate drives. In my opinion.
Coupe was too small for me. I'm 6'3 with long legs and the seats don't go all the way back. Back seat prevents it. My previous 2020 440 had more legroom.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #36
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A corvette may actually ride softer or as soft as an 8er. GM's Mangneride suspension systems are some of the best in the business, with many C8 reviews quoting luxury car like comfort.
Yeah corvettes and 911s are both trimmed out for different purposes.

Corvette Stringray: comfort focused GT car version
Grand Sport: Z06 with a stingray engine
Z06: Track car
ZR1: flagship

911 base: trackable GT car
911 T: 911 S with a base engine
911 GT3 flagship track car
911 turbo: flagship GT car

All that is taking the platform and adjusting the suspension and feel to meet the needs of different customers.

We all know the corvette is really a sports car at heart but they can do a lot to make it soft and comfortable without redesigning the platform.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
i8you5.00
      08-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #37
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Our M8 Comp feels like a soft pillow ride compared to our E63s.
Soft in a good way, not mushy. Happy wife
Appreciate 2
limeypride4425.00
i8you5.00
      08-25-2020, 03:23 PM   #38
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Our M8 Comp feels like a soft pillow ride compared to our E63s.
Soft in a good way, not mushy. Happy wife
Good to know, my wife hates my E60, I love it but I imagine it will be time to move on soon. M8 is a great car, under appreciated by the general population for sure.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4425.00
      08-25-2020, 11:28 PM   #39
BlueDevil63
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 M

Quote:
As per my earlier post with the reality of zero 2021s hitting the US the supply factor has now shifted into the dealer's favor in any negotiation. We're sitting at about 12 months from now before a 2022 will hit the ground here in the US. Thus, I suspect for the next 9 months or so the dealers will play harder ball on deep discounts.
I was offered a 20% discount on an M8 convertible today. I'll see what they will give me on a comp tomorrow. So I'm guessing it might depend on market and how many the dealer has on the floor (7 in this case).
Appreciate 1
i8you5.00
      08-26-2020, 08:45 PM   #40
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil63 View Post
I was offered a 20% discount on an M8 convertible today. I'll see what they will give me on a comp tomorrow. So I'm guessing it might depend on market and how many the dealer has on the floor (7 in this case).
All part of the supply and demand with 7 on the floor. However, any dealer should recognize the prospective customer's ability to buy in a different market (some states make it harder than others from a tax perspective but all doable). Regardless though as the existing inventory on the ground depletes the deals will so as well until the 2022s can be ordered and start hitting the ground.

In fact for the inventory on the ground today as the inventory depletes that has the desirable build configurations so to will the deals on those. The rest of the less desirable may likely end up with the greater deals over the next 9 months.
Appreciate 1
i8you5.00
      08-28-2020, 06:52 AM   #41
c^2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

Quote:
'When it works'

Upon delivery, had failure on the electronics for the seats. When heat/ventilation was on for it and if you went to adjust it, the fuses would blow. Took 4 attempts to fix before they finally got it working.

6 months in (3600 miles), the A/C started to go. Problems are just the same as in the A/C issues thread - started with drifting between ambient air and A/C, started getting foggy air, then all hot air. Car is back in service.

I told my service advisor I want to lemon the car at this point. Judging from the A/C failures so widespread alone, makes me wonder if a class action lawsuit is in order
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
      08-28-2020, 09:37 AM   #42
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by c^2 View Post
Quote:
'When it works'

Upon delivery, had failure on the electronics for the seats. When heat/ventilation was on for it and if you went to adjust it, the fuses would blow. Took 4 attempts to fix before they finally got it working.

6 months in (3600 miles), the A/C started to go. Problems are just the same as in the A/C issues thread - started with drifting between ambient air and A/C, started getting foggy air, then all hot air. Car is back in service.

I told my service advisor I want to lemon the car at this point. Judging from the A/C failures so widespread alone, makes me wonder if a class action lawsuit is in order
Your state laws will govern what is or isn't a lemon, and what can be done for a class action.

Under Virginia law, I don't think it's enough to rise to that level for either with current Virginia law. However, it's possible to be enough to get a formal court injunction to order BMW to do a complete recall [like a safety recall], for all units manufactured between time certain dates on certain models.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 03:21 PM   #43
i8you
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: M

Thank you guys for all the replies, I appreciate it. I'm most likely going to finance the one I posted a link to earlier. Only thing is that it's missing the 3D surround view which I wanted at first but I could do without. Kinda busy at the moment & will be till after Labor Day so hopefully after that, in around ~2 weeks, I can post back with the new car!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 12:52 PM   #44
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Quote:
I forgot to address your earlier question on overall comfort for a 8-series for long drives, e.g., your example of being all over the tri-state area. I'm 6'6" and have a bit more upper body height in the overall ratio. Thus, thanks to my Dad this bit of genetics has left me with similar lower back issues just like he had. In my prior sport sedans 5 to 6 hours was tops behind the wheel and by hour 4 I had already started to squirm in the seat trying to get my lower back comfortable.

I made the drive out to San Diego to visit our son and his wife in June with the M850i which clocks in at about 5 and a half hours. I was comfortable the entire time and based on it I can see an easy 7 or 8 hours behind the wheel of the M850i if ever needed. The seats are stellar from lumbar control, etc. and the M8 seats are identical with the only difference being the diamond weave aesthetic vs the "V" weave on the M850i seats. Thus, if you do end up in a M8C Coupe you should be golden for your drives from an in the seat comfort perspective.
Hi Blooze,

I wanted to ask you, as well as anyone else who has driven both cars at least once and for some extended miles perhaps, whether, except for the looks/shape there is any difference in COMFORT between M8 seats and the standard M850i seats?
I guess not, they are as comfortable and it's the more exclusive and sporty look of the M8 seats which makes them stand out correct?
I ask because one day I may want a different interior color (have black at the moment) with FULL merino leather onboard and I would consider several options, even though it is not something that's on my roadmap for the near future (other (less expensive) upgrades / retrofits come first).
Appreciate 0