M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 vs R8?!

07-30-2020, 10:35 PM   #1
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Yes I'm aware of CarWow review, (R8 vs Ferrari V12 vs tuned GTR 2009), and M8 has emerged triumphant

But looking for further insight into how they compare? Are they similar or worlds apart?

I am very familiar with R8 2017 V10, and boy was I impressed! I had it on a trip for 24 hours

There's an M8 Convertible ordered on the way (I have never driven one and bought on pure leap of faith), and I'm just anxious I may have just bought another M5 F90 not even on steroids knowing it's heavier and same engine, with the caveat as I made an M8 purchase I was consciously was getting a top less ///M, yet on a deeper level ?! subconsciously, was just trying to get closer to an R8 looks, performance and status without having to leave BMW ///M family to which I have been a loyal fan for a variety of reasons!

It's a shame that BMW has nothing to offer to stack up head to head with this beast Audi R8! I8 certainly doesn't and hoping M8 gets an inch closer in this arguably king joined of catch up? That started with Audi RS7 years ago!! Where BMW M5 had to lick its wounds for a few years, till F90 came out and I think crushed RS7 in every aspect! But R8 territory seems to remain as uncharted waters for BMW?!

Thoughts?!
While I maybe trying to hear some reassuring thoughts, but deep inside I really want input from folks familiar with both platforms!

Thanks
Cheers
Will report back when I get the car in a few days and will compare to the aforementioned cars!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 10:50 PM   #2
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

R8 is based on the Huracan. It's a magnificent car and really nothing like the M8. R8 is a sports car that's comfortable, M8 is a true GT.

That said Audi has its own issues convincing buyers to pay that much for an Audi. It's being discontinued and won't be around next gen.

Depends what you're looking for. I for one love the looks of the AMG GT C convertible and am partial to Porsche's. But I enjoy that type of car better.

Down to what you want
stein_325i25051.00
      07-31-2020, 02:57 AM   #3
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M550i

BMW doesn't really have a competitor for the R8 and actually, nobody does at that price point. V10 + mid engine sports cars are pretty much nonexistent now other than supercars that cost a lot more than the R8.
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      07-31-2020, 06:19 AM   #4
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

In all fairness BMW has stopped production on the m8, and Audi on the r8. Buy what ever you can find now because it's a dying breed.

I'd wager in 10 years you won't be able to find anything in new car with a v8 or larger, and you won't find any cars smaller than a sedan or small SUV.
Coupe, convertible, v12, v10, v8, etc will be as obsolete as the Model T Ford.

It's becoming an eco friendly SUV electric hybrid world. And like it or not, I don't see Europe or the US changing.
Appreciate 2
LSM1118.00
soooma1373.00
      07-31-2020, 09:33 AM   #5
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

You know where my heart lies--- I love my R8 while the M5 is a necessary weapon. If I didnt have to tote others around the R8 is easily the choice for me with the V10 sound (modded). Im a huge exhaust guy and would actually give up a few ticks in the quarter or more for the dying breed of the normally aspirated.

As mentioned above the R8 has not had a great price point and just doesnt have the traction that a Porsche Turbo S has in similar price points from a retail perspective. There are alot of 2020's sitting around as Audi FS will not subvent them and dealers just hang on.

mine:

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 6
LSM1118.00
Wolfman64811.50
soooma1373.00
stein_325i25051.00
POBA272.00
quick6750.50
      07-31-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
You know where my heart lies--- I love my R8 while the M5 is a necessary weapon. If I didnt have to tote others around the R8 is easily the choice for me with the V10 sound (modded). Im a huge exhaust guy and would actually give up a few ticks in the quarter or more for the dying breed of the normally aspirated.

As mentioned above the R8 has not had a great price point and just doesnt have the traction that a Porsche Turbo S has in similar price points from a retail perspective. There are alot of 2020's sitting around as Audi FS will not subvent them and dealers just hang on.

mine:

Beauty!!!
      07-31-2020, 02:03 PM   #7
flaury23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Yes I'm aware of CarWow review, (R8 vs Ferrari V12 vs tuned GTR 2009), and M8 has emerged triumphant

But looking for further insight into how they compare? Are they similar or worlds apart?

I am very familiar with R8 2017 V10, and boy was I impressed! I had it on a trip for 24 hours

There's an M8 Convertible ordered on the way (I have never driven one and bought on pure leap of faith), and I'm just anxious I may have just bought another M5 F90 not even on steroids knowing it's heavier and same engine, with the caveat as I made an M8 purchase I was consciously was getting a top less ///M, yet on a deeper level ?! subconsciously, was just trying to get closer to an R8 looks, performance and status without having to leave BMW ///M family to which I have been a loyal fan for a variety of reasons!

It's a shame that BMW has nothing to offer to stack up head to head with this beast Audi R8! I8 certainly doesn't and hoping M8 gets an inch closer in this arguably king joined of catch up? That started with Audi RS7 years ago!! Where BMW M5 had to lick its wounds for a few years, till F90 came out and I think crushed RS7 in every aspect! But R8 territory seems to remain as uncharted waters for BMW?!

Thoughts?!
While I maybe trying to hear some reassuring thoughts, but deep inside I really want input from folks familiar with both platforms!

Thanks
Cheers
Will report back when I get the car in a few days and will compare to the aforementioned cars!
I currently own an F90 M5 (modded) and a 2017 R8 V10 plus (exhaust, suspension, etc). I love the M5, but there is nothing it could ever do to come close to the driving experience of the R8. The R8 plus is an amazing sports car, it literally does everything right.

You basically will have two of the same car, just a 2 door convertible version. Get the R8!
Appreciate 4
LSM1118.00
soooma1373.00
stein_325i25051.00
      07-31-2020, 02:07 PM   #8
flaury23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:

Thoughts?!

Thanks
Cheers
Also only car nerds can tell the difference between your M5 and a normal BMW. When I pull out the R8, it's just a totally different level of attention and respect.... Trust me, get the R8. They are also the best bang for the buck right now. You can get a plus for under 140k. I recommend the plus because of the carbon fiber and interior options.
Appreciate 3
LSM1118.00
stein_325i25051.00
      07-31-2020, 03:21 PM   #9
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaury23 View Post
Quote:

Thoughts?!

Thanks
Cheers
Also only car nerds can tell the difference between your M5 and a normal BMW. When I pull out the R8, it's just a totally different level of attention and respect.... Trust me, get the R8. They are also the best bang for the buck right now. You can get a plus for under 140k. I recommend the plus because of the carbon fiber and interior options.
I second (or third or fourth) that recommendation. My only regret in life is that I didn't buy an r8 when I had the chance because it was offered from the dealer as a favor to me at literally half off. Now as I look to pay closer to full price, I wish I'd bought it one decade ago.
Appreciate 2
LSM1118.00
soooma1373.00
      07-31-2020, 05:35 PM   #10
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

I'm tempted to go sit in the corner and pout because no matter how much I lust after an R8, at 6'7" there's not a chance in hell that I'm comfortably fitting inside that thing.

I actually gave it a shot a few years ago at Fletcher Jones Audi in Chicago and everyone in the showroom had a nice laugh. The sales guy said Bulls & Bears players come in all the time ready to buy until they try and fit inside and miserably.

Which makes the M8 GC a decent proposition for red light racing and lightly-spirited romps on the curvy parts. Do any of you current owners regularly switch to RWD for hooning? With how disconnected the steering feels I'd imagine you'd be asking for trouble.
stein_325i25051.00
      07-31-2020, 06:46 PM   #11
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Hahahaha
Soul crushing
Just pulled the trigger on the M8 convertible
Maybe next time!
I could get an R8 but it's just not a good car when you have kids who adore sports cars in mind!

I actually have 3 kids and their mom actually hates to be with us in the cars so it works just fine for the 4 of us, but if we're going somewhere as a whole family! It just doesn't work!!

But an R8 at the house with them 3 kids!! I don't know how that will work
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 09:58 PM   #12
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

You can't go wrong either way.
I have one kid and one on the way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      07-31-2020, 10:24 PM   #13
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Hahahaha
Soul crushing
Maybe next time!
I could get an R8 but it's just not a good car when you have kids who adore sports cars in mind!

I actually have 3 kids and their mom actually hates to be with us in the cars so it works just fine for the 4 of us, but if we're going somewhere as a whole family! It just doesn't work!!

Congrats on the purchase!

Are you saying your going to drive more than 2 people in the M8?

You see the back "seats" who fits back there?
      08-01-2020, 04:38 AM   #14
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
Quote:
Hahahaha
Soul crushing
Maybe next time!

Congrats on the purchase!

Are you saying your going to drive more than 2 people in the M8?

You see the back "seats" who fits back there?
M235 is doing the trick and hoping M8 is just as big
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00
      08-01-2020, 09:25 AM   #15
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
I hope your kids are young or you plan to drive top down only. The headroom on our coupe is really not usable for adults or tall kids. At least you can move the seats forward to adjust for leg room.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2020, 07:02 PM   #16
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Quote:
I hope your kids are young or you plan to drive top down only. The headroom on our coupe is really not usable for adults or tall kids. At least you can move the seats forward to adjust for leg room.
Top down only and yes rear seating sucks! Weird enough worse than M235!!!
Kids hardly fit
Appreciate 0