M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion B&W audio issues

07-27-2020, 05:29 PM   #1
PaulyMats
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 M4 ZCP

B&W audio issues

Checking to see if anyone else has had this issue.

The first time I noticed an audio issue with my M850 was through remote start. I noticed while driving that there was absolutely no bass coming from the system. I parked, turned off the car and started it back up, and that didn't fix the issue. I drove home, waited about a half hour, and tried again. No issues, audio worked just fine.

It's now done it multiple times, and not just when using remote start. I've now noticed a few instances where the volume level won't adjust either, along with no bass.

I do use my phone for music, but I connect via Bluetooth, not CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 07:25 PM   #2
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
PaulyMats I had issues with my B&W with lack of bass and just general overall performance. This was linked to a high pitched noise coming (randomly) from the piped engine noise technology system. Both issues were resolved with a dealer software update.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2020, 10:14 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyMats View Post

The first time I noticed an audio issue with my M850 was through remote start. I noticed while driving that there was absolutely no bass coming from the system. I parked, turned off the car and started it back up, and that didn't fix the issue. I drove home, waited about a half hour, and tried again. No issues, audio worked just fine.

It's now done it multiple times, and not just when using remote start. I've now noticed a few instances where the volume level won't adjust either, along with no bass.

I have never had this issue with my 2020 M850i and B&W audio. The car came with a 07/2019 iDrive build that was updated by my dealer to 11/2019.55 and recently updated OTA to 11/2019.70. Thus, the first question is what iDrive version is installed on your M850i? Also given my COVID-19 hermit status I've not used the remote start in quite some time. However, I just did so and then got in the car to amazing bass on the B&W playing Triumph's "A World of Fantasy" on Ozzy's Boneyard. Granted you need to be at least at 40% or greater to get the B&W sound stage to open up especially on my DSP setting of "Concert" which after trial and error my default. You can get better bass response with "Studio" at lower volumes but once you hit 40% or greater "Concert" produces the best overall sound stage which is not a problem for me as I'm solo in the car 90% of the time.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 07-28-2020 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
PaulyMats
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:

I have never had this issue with my 2020 M850i and B&W audio. The car came with a 07/2019 iDrive build that was updated by my dealer to 11/2019.55 and recently updated OTA to 11/2019.70. Thus, the first question is what iDrive version is installed on your M850i? Also given my COVID-19 hermit status I've not used the remote start in quite some time. However, I just did so and then got in the car to amazing bass on the B&W playing Triumph's "A World of Fantasy" on Ozzy's Boneyard. Granted you need to be at least at 40% or greater to get the B&W sound stage to open up especially on my DSP setting of "Concert" which after trial and error my default. Granted you can get better bass response with "Studio" at lower volumes but once you hit 40% or greater "Concert" produces the best overall sound stage which is not a problem for me as I'm solo in the car 90% of the time.
I honestly don't know what version, I should check that. I have to take my car in next week anyway so I'm hoping they can look and see if there's anything else that might be an issue. If it's just software update that would be great. I will say, I believe it may have actually been your posting regarding the sound profiles/quality. I have mine set to concert and I do tend to keep it up quite high, as I too drive by myself 99% of the time in the 850. I wish it produced more bass though.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 01:13 PM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
PaulyMats I had issues with my B&W with lack of bass and just general overall performance. This was linked to a high pitched noise coming (randomly) from the piped engine noise technology system. Both issues were resolved with a dealer software update.
I had the same problem and similar solution. Instead of updating my software, I used BimmerCode to code it off and increase the Bass sounds.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:22 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
I honestly don't know what version, I should check that. I have to take my car in next week anyway so I'm hoping they can look and see if there's anything else that might be an issue. If it's just software update that would be great. I will say, I believe it may have actually been your posting regarding the sound profiles/quality. I have mine set to concert and I do tend to keep it up quite high, as I too drive by myself 99% of the time in the 850. I wish it produced more bass though.
Having owned a pair of B&W 802s for my home audio system back in circa 2012 to 2014 the sound in the 8-series matches that experience regarding pristine audio. The key being that the bass response is tight and accurate. When it came to the LFE aspect for the home theater experience that is where a Velodyne subwoofer came into play.

For musical genres in which the LFE component is prevalent, e.g., Hip Hop that is not a game in which B&W plays in. Hence, there may be many whom are disappointed with the B&W audio in the 8-series but for my core Rock, Blues, Alternative and Jazz listening habits it is just flat out amazing.
Appreciate 0