M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Is there a way to play true multi-channel digital (i.e. 5.1) files on HK Logic 7?

07-26-2020, 04:32 PM   #1
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

Is there a way to play true multi-channel digital (i.e. 5.1) files on HK Logic 7?

I'm a huge high definition surround music fan outside of my car (SACD, Blu-Ray DVD-A), and while the simulated surround of Harmon Kardon's Logic 7 system is fun to play with, it's nothing like the real deal. Does anyone know of a way to play back true digital multi-channel files on an 840i? Obviously, it doesn't have a physical media player, but I'm hopeful that it has the ability to recognize properly formatted files over USB or uploaded to internal storage. I don't see any multi-channel options in the menu system, however, so maybe this is all a pipe dream...

Thoughts? It would awesome if I can get it to work. This car is quiet, solid and refined enough to support fantastic sound!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 09:06 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
We are definitely two birds of a feather as for home audio I have a multi-player and a catalog of SACD and DVD-A to enjoy. In regards to the car yes it is possible. My outgoing Lexus supported DVD-A so those in the 6 disc changer were the staple of all road trips. For my wife's 2017 X5 with iDrive 6 and HK on road trips I'd use SSD via USB with FLAC 5.1 and disengage the HK surround logic. Not sure if that is still an option with HK and iDrive 7 in the 8-series.

As stated before, my only bitch with the amazing B&W in my 2020 M850i coupe is the inability to disengage its DSP. Thus the same FLAC 5.1 sources now live in it with the best DSP setting of Concert. Frankly, disengaging the DSP would let the tracks play in all of their glory but that is just not an option.
Appreciate 2
      07-27-2020, 06:08 PM   #3
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
We are definitely two birds of a feather as for home audio I have a multi-player and a catalog of SACD and DVD-A to enjoy. In regards to the car yes it is possible. My outgoing Lexus supported DVD-A so those in the 6 disc changer were the staple of all road trips. For my wife's 2017 X5 with iDrive 6 and HK on road trips I'd use SSD via USB with FLAC 5.1 and disengage the HK surround logic. Not sure if that is still an option with HK and iDrive 7 in the 8-series.

As stated before, my only bitch with the amazing B&W in my 2020 M850i coupe is the inability to disengage its DSP. Thus the same FLAC 5.1 sources now live in it with the best DSP setting of Concert. Frankly, disengaging the DSP would let the tracks play in all of their glory but that is just not an option.
Thanks a lot! Now I need to carve out some time to find/make some test files as I use physical media at home for multi-channel. Open to any and all suggestions, including software tools you've used successfully to create 5.1 files from physical media.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 09:25 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
Thanks a lot! Now I need to carve out some time to find/make some test files as I use physical media at home for multi-channel. Open to any and all suggestions, including software tools you've used successfully to create 5.1 files from physical media.
Happy to help but fare warning it's a science experiment within itself to get a quality FLAC out of both SACD or DVD-A. Here's a thread from the AVS forum (I live there as well given my audio vice) which covers the broad strokes: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-s...ollection.html.

For myself I teamed up with a friend that has an Oppo player that can be used in the DVD-A process. My contribution is an old PS3 I kept that along with the software mods (you need to understand the Linux operating system) enables the SACD ripping to FLAC. Hence, I ripped all of my buddies SACDs along with mine and he ripped all of my DVD-As along with his.

Any new purchases of course go through the same cycle depending on the format as we've found it more cost advantage over buying the FLAC sources from the likes of HD Tracks, etc. In fact SACD is still alive and well in Japan so I generally buy SACD imports form a couple of online market places and then rip them myself. DVD-A is unfortunately dead at this point.
Appreciate 0