M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Any insight coming from M5 F90 to M8?!

07-24-2020, 05:28 PM   #1
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Any insight coming from M5 F90 to M8?!

Hey ///M fellow enthusiasts
Been getting the itch to get rid of my M5 F90 the Macao Blue some of y'all know because of color and mods etc

And found me looking at M8 Convertible the launch model, and all yard a couple but need to rid myself of my M5 first!

Any insight on whether it's an upgrade or not? Is it worth the premium?

BTW If interested to Take Over My Lease PM me
Can is M5 2019 Sticker 134K so fully loaded eve with CCB's and has 16-17 months till Dec 2021 till end of lease
Buy out 70Kish
Excellent inside out
Has about 1000 miles per month allowance till end of lease
No drama no stories
—>>Mods:
Carbon fiber splitters + rear diffuser + M Spoiler (about 2K installed)
DINAN exhaust almost 3K installed, sounds awesome
Carbon shift paddles
Coded (200$ + effort)
Black grills all around (500$ installed)

BYW Macao Blue is individual 5K color,

New Michelins 4S less than 1K miles on them
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
WCH347.00
      07-24-2020, 06:47 PM   #2
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Been getting the itch to get rid of my M5 F90 the Macao Blue some of y'all know because of color and mods etc

And found me looking at M8 Convertible the launch model, and all yard a couple but need to rid myself of my M5 first!

Can is M5 2019 Sticker 134K so fully loaded eve with CCB's and has 16-17 months till Dec 2021 till end of lease
Buy out 70Kish
Excellent inside out
No drama no stories
—>>Mods:
Carbon shift paddles
Coded (200$ + effort)

Quote:

Buy out 70Kish
Excellent inside out
No drama no stories
—>>Mods:
Carbon shift paddles
Coded (200$ + effort)

Yes. I think it's worth every penny. I love it.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2020, 06:59 PM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

yeah looks nice, I like you're m5. I test drove an m5 and m8; for me the m850i convertible was the perfect fit.

The m8 convertible is a different car from the m5; but I think it's an upgrade in every way. The m8 eliminates almost all the "negatives" normally associated with convertibles.

There is a difference from any sedan to any convertible, but I think it's worth the differential "premium" as your wondering about.
Appreciate 2
limeypride4418.50
soooma1373.00
      07-24-2020, 07:05 PM   #4
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
yeah looks nice, I like you're m5. I test drove an m5 and m8; for me the m850i convertible was the perfect fit.

The m8 convertible is a different car from the m5; but I think it's an upgrade in every way. The m8 eliminates almost all the "negatives" normally associated with convertibles.

There is a difference from any sedan to any convertible, but I think it's worth the differential "premium" as your wondering about.
Me, too, dude... me, too!
Appreciate 2
soooma1373.00
      07-25-2020, 01:50 AM   #5
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Thank you for insight
Well I think I will likely get one ,
M235 whole nice never filled that void

Just curious! What about M4 convertible?!
Ironically if there was M2 convertible I would have gotten one!!

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2020, 08:52 AM   #6
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Great to see another member of the M5 forums. I remember your post when you picked up your M5. My DD M5 turned into a X5M and then a Cayenne Turbo while I went from a M3 to a 911 TT and then a M8 vert.

I love my M8 Comp vert. Yes it is pricey compared to a M5. However it is a great GT car that is more practical than a 911. The people that have moved to GC seem to be happy. They are really rare in the NE and with no new verts and coupes this year, it is likely to stay that way.
Appreciate 2
soooma1373.00
      07-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #7
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Thank you for insight
Well I think I will likely get one ,
M235 whole nice never filled that void

Just curious! What about M4 convertible?!
Ironically if there was M2 convertible I would have gotten one!!

Thanks
The m4 doesn't compare to the m8, I test drove both and while they are both clearly sharing the BMW "touches", they are very different cars.

that said, they are a different price points too. Depending on how much you are looking to spend.

The m850i was the only 8 series when I was shopping. So I can't compare the regular 840i, to the m4. which would probably be closer because they are both 6 cylinder vs v8.

But the m8c, m8, and m850i don't have any comparisons in the "bmw family", except to full power m5 and other true turbo charged v8.
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      07-25-2020, 11:10 AM   #8
c^2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

I don't think it's worth the money going from M5 to M8 - in my opinion you are moving laterally. If it makes you happy, that's another story though.

I would say check out an S63 coupe. More bang for buck and a better GT car (again, my opinion)
Appreciate 2
soooma1373.00
stein_325i25051.00
      07-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #9
x5man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M8 Gran Coupe

That's exactly what I am doing now. Just transferred my M5 lease to another person. It had 13 months left. M5 is/was a great car - loved every minute of it. What bothered me a little was that it was not as special outside. Never stands out from a crowd. Wanted something more special on the outside and more unique. Then COVID came and it looks like work from home is the way into the future and I don't need as much practicality with a everyday car now. My wife has SUV for practical things and I decided to go with what I liked more. I still need 4 seats for occasional children take out, so GT was my only option.

I started looking at convertibles - as far away from practical as possible but then decided that in Massachusetts, there would not be as many days perfect for roof down - either too cold, rainy or too hot/humid. Besides - this is an extremely fast and powerful car and frankly, I don't feel as safe at high speed without roof.

I just purchased a M8 coupe competition. Should be getting it late next week. Extremely excited and looking forward to it. BMW has amazing lease rates right now. MB S63 is being discontinued and its almost 5 year old. Costs $500-600/mo more. And its 0.5 seconds slower 0-60 (C&D numbers). Huuuge difference!

Financially - I will pay per month only $30 more than what I paid for M5 (no MSDs and 0 down). The only exception is 2500 fewer miles per year and insurance that costs almost $700/yr more.

Dinan should release engine tune soon for this engine and that would unleash a lot more power without sacrificing warranty.

Last edited by x5man; 07-27-2020 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 2
soooma1373.00
      07-25-2020, 11:52 AM   #10
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5man View Post
That's exactly what I am doing now. Just transferred my M5 lease to another person. It had 13 months left. M5 is/was a great car - loved every minute of it. What bothered me a little was that it was not as special outside. Never stands out from a crowd. Wanted something more special on the outside and more unique. Then COVID came and it looks like work from home is the way into the future and I don't need as much practicality with a everyday car now. My wife has SUV for practical things and I decided to go with what I liked more. I still need 4 seats for occasional children take out, so GT was my only option.

I started looking at convertibles - as far away from practical as possible but then decided that in Massachusetts, there would not be as many days perfect for roof down - either too cold, rainy or too hot/humid. Besides - this is an extremely fast and powerful car and frankly, I don't feel as safe at high speed without roof.

I just purchased a M8 coupe competition. Should be getting it late next week. Extremely excited and looking forward to it. BMW has amazing lease rates right now. MB S63 is being discontinued and its almost 5 year old. Costs $500-600/mo more. And its 0.5 seconds slower 0-60 (C&D numbers). Huuuge difference!

911 is a 2 seater. Nothing else to cross shop.

Financially - I will pay per month only $30 more than what I paid for M5 (no MSDs and 0 down). The only exception is 2500 fewer miles per year and insurance that costs almost $700/yr more.

Dinan should release engine tune soon for this engine and that would unleash a lot more power without sacrificing warranty.
Congrats!!
      07-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #11
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

I don't know it depends, will the convertible aspect bring you more joy worth the price and hassle? Outside of it being a convertible its fairly similar to an M5 and once the honeymoon phase wears off you may be bored again. I'd recommend you look at some other cars as well, just see what's out there. Also, two convertibles? Or are you getting rid of the 2er as well?
      07-25-2020, 02:17 PM   #12
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
I don't know it depends, will the convertible aspect bring you more joy worth the price and hassle? Outside of it being a convertible its fairly similar to an M5 and once the honeymoon phase wears off you may be bored again. I'd recommend you look at some other cars as well, just see what's out there. Also, two convertibles? Or are you getting rid of the 2er as well?
Yes looking to get rid of that too, didn't solve my problem of not having a topless car because I got bored a few weeks into having it, and this M8 Convertible will solve it!

It's for sale too if you know anyone interested
Modded 425/430 with FICM and CAIntake and new wheels
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 02:18 PM   #13
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5man View Post

911 is a 2 seater. Nothing else to cross shop.

The 911 has 4 seats, not 2, technically it's a 2+2 that's almost identical to the m8.
When I test drove them, the 911 back seats were similar to the m850i convertible back seats. The coupe had slightly larger, but not much. The 911 coupe was slightly smaller than the coupe but larger than the convertible in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      07-25-2020, 02:27 PM   #14
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Yes looking to get rid of that too, didn't solve my problem of not having a topless car because I got bored a few weeks into having it, and this M8 Convertible will solve it!

It's for sale too if you know anyone interested
Modded 425/430 with FICM and CAIntake and new wheels
I remember back on the M5 forum you posted about how happy you were with the size of the 2er. Maybe check out something between the size of your M5 and 2er, like a C63 or M4 vert, or even a 911 or C8. You can get the aspects of a convertible that you like, as well as a better handling and more fun vehicle and save some money too. The M8 is nice, but I feel like it isn't much of a move from your M5 that you are bored with. Good luck with the decision
LSM1118.00
soooma1373.00