M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion So should I go for the M8 Comp Convertible?

07-26-2020, 04:16 PM   #45
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belugs View Post
Makes no sense for an M8 non comp version. Most people who buy the M8 want the comp otherwise they just get the M850 which is a bad ass car in its own rights...there should only be 3 versions of the 8 => 840i/d, M850 amd M8 Comp.
This is how it is now. In Germany, the non-comp version appears dropped from the configurator.
The non-comps are also the cars in inventory that don’t seem to move. The thinking is likely that at this price point you might as well go all out.
Appreciate 1
Belugs318.00
      07-26-2020, 04:21 PM   #46
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i, 2012 528i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belugs View Post
Makes no sense for an M8 non comp version. Most people who buy the M8 want the comp otherwise they just get the M850 which is a bad ass car in its own rights...there should only be 3 versions of the 8 => 840i/d, M850 amd M8 Comp.
This is how it is now. In Germany, the non-comp version appears dropped from the configurator.
The non-comps are also the cars in inventory that don’t seem to move. The thinking is likely that at this price point you might as well go all out.
Exactly! If spending that much, why not just fork out the extra $13k and get the top of the line M8? BMW prolly should have dropped the non-comp first instead of the coupe/convertible (in the U.S.)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 04:54 PM   #47
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

The non comp only makes sense in the convertible version (i leased one ) because u are not tracking the car and it is more comfortable compared to the comp and you get to hear the exhaust so u dont need the comp exhaust.If u want more power for drag racing then u can tune it and get more power then the comp with the extra comfort and saving money
But for the coupe it is a different story and comp will be my choice
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #48
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctelimad View Post
The non comp only makes sense in the convertible version (i leased one ) because u are not tracking the car and it is more comfortable compared to the comp and you get to hear the exhaust so u dont need the comp exhaust.If u want more power for drag racing then u can tune it and get more power then the comp with the extra comfort and saving money
Couldn't the same be said be said of the 850 vert vs M8 and M8C vert? If you are not tracking, can hear the exhaust with the top down and want to save money and still be comfortable and have the ability to tune, seems like the 850 vert would do the trick.
      07-26-2020, 05:08 PM   #49
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep

Agree with that but at the end an m850i is not a full M car (for prestige if you care) .
Difference in weight , the way they drive( M differential) , interior seating and cockpit, gear ratio, look... so those a lot of differences compared to the difference between two M8s(both full M cars with minimal differences)
Dont get me wrong m850i conv is a great car
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2020, 05:50 PM   #50
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Agree with that but at the end an m850i is not a full M car (for prestige if you care) .
Difference in weight , the way they drive( M differential) , interior seating and cockpit, gear ratio, look... so those a lot of differences compared to the difference between two M8s(both full M cars with minimal differences)
Dont get me wrong m850i conv is a great car
that's why I got my convertible. I don't need to pay the M tax for no reason for me.
You can definitely hear the exhaust with the top down. so much that I coded the active sound fake sounds off.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25076.00
      07-26-2020, 06:19 PM   #51
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep

And talking about that the new M5s will have the comp package as an option (makes sense) and no more m5 and m5 comp as two different models
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2020, 08:25 PM   #52
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Quote:
Couldn't the same be said be said of the 850 vert vs M8 and M8C vert? If you are not tracking, can hear the exhaust with the top down and want to save money and still be comfortable and have the ability to tune, seems like the 850 vert would do the trick.
And further the M8 is 4200lbs is there that much tracking being done anyway?
      07-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #53
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
Quote:
Quote:
There is several members that track their m850i and m8.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 08:49 PM   #54
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am certain there are but must be a small number. I'm not knocking the 8 handling for a GT car and that much weight it handles remarkably. Actually for any weight it handles remarkably. It handles better than much lighter cars as well. I just couldn't see many tracking them. I could be wrong

Tracking or not tracking I would chose Comp as I like the most buttoned down feeling car regardless.

Had a 2019 M5 non comp and wasn't really to my liking for various reasons. Mostly it was due to wanting a lighter more sports car feeling car that was tossable

I'm sure I'm in the minority but liked my M4 comp better than my M5 non comp and of course like my Porsche better than any BMW offering. Again not a knock just my preference
      07-26-2020, 09:00 PM   #55
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am certain there are but must be a small number. I'm not knocking the 8 handling for a GT car and that much weight it handles remarkably. Actually for any weight it handles remarkably. It handles better than much lighter cars as well. I just couldn't see many tracking them. I could be wrong

Tracking or not tracking I would chose Comp as I like the most buttoned down feeling car regardless.

Had a 2019 M5 non comp and wasn't really to my liking for various reasons. Mostly it was due to wanting a lighter more sports car feeling car that was tossable

I'm sure I'm in the minority but liked my M4 comp better than my M5 non comp and of course like my Porsche better than any BMW offering. Again not a knock just my preference
You want to talk about handling I started track racing in a mazda miata.
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00