M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion So should I go for the M8 Comp Convertible?

07-24-2020, 02:31 PM   #23
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
he's just mad because I make more money than him and I retired before he could.
Everybody hates the 1%, except those that work hard and make a good living.
I hope you know just how idiotic this comment is. Makes you look like a douche and this thread shows that you need to learn a thing or two about cars...
Appreciate 3
Vic5519354.50
stein_325i25083.00
      07-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #24
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Quote:
he's just mad because I make more money than him and I retired before he could.
Everybody hates the 1%, except those that work hard and make a good living.
I hope you know just how idiotic this comment is. Makes you look like a douche and this thread shows that you need to learn a thing or two about cars...
Just because I'm a Latino male that knows how to change oil, I don't need to prove anything to you.

Gas pedal on the right, brake on the left, clutch on the far left or paddle shifters. It's not that complicated to know everything about cars.

At least I actually own an 8 series, unlike half these trolls that one day hope to dream to get a used one.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 09:19 PM   #25
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Also aren't you a BMW salesman? As a car dealer / salesman; shouldn't you be trying to sell BMW and not competition brands??

You're the worst salesman if you can't sell your own products.
You just opened your mouth and removed all doubt.....

Vic55 has a long term forum presence with multiple performance car experiences. That he shares freely without bias. He has been a huge help to me and many others. Experience is valuable.
Appreciate 5
Vic5519354.50
stein_325i25083.00
WCH347.00
soooma1377.50
      07-24-2020, 11:53 PM   #26
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:
I can also easily name another VW that isnt on your list, the Audi r8. The R8 is very impressive.

Its an Audi with zero chassis sharing with VW--- VWAG is the parent but no one will ever say that an R8 is a VW car. This is my point, the parent company doesnt make Porsche, Lambo, Bentley, a VW. Just because VW owns these brands means just that ownership but production, parts, chassis, performance, builds, etc are almost all unique to the individual brands. Now there are with few SUV chassis's that are shared but would you ever confuse an RSQ8 with a Urus? I surely would not.

My apologies for taking the thread off course too.
Definitely not trying to add fuel to this dumpster fire, but it's a fact that if you buy a 2020 Porsche Panamera 4 it will come equipped with a 3-liter V6 sourced from Audi.

Any time you have a giant conglomerate making different auto brands under one umbrella you're going to have some homogenization.

On a much sadder note, the new Panamera shares it's chassis with the lowly VW Arteon...
      07-25-2020, 02:25 PM   #27
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Just discovered this thread, anyways to get back to OP's question at hand, I would go with what Wolfman64 suggested and find a good lease deal on an M8/850i vert for 2-3 years and then see what AMG will be offering for the next GT/SL that will be supposedly sharing a chassis. With the lease hopefully you can benefit financially with the deals, have a nice car with maintenance and warranty, as well as let Benz get any first year issues/gremlins out of the new GT/SL.
Wolfman64811.50
      07-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #28
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I can also easily name another VW that isnt on your list, the Audi r8. The R8 is very impressive.

Its an Audi with zero chassis sharing with VW--- VWAG is the parent but no one will ever say that an R8 is a VW car. This is my point, the parent company doesnt make Porsche, Lambo, Bentley, a VW. Just because VW owns these brands means just that ownership but production, parts, chassis, performance, builds, etc are almost all unique to the individual brands. Now there are with few SUV chassis's that are shared but would you ever confuse an RSQ8 with a Urus? I surely would not.

My apologies for taking the thread off course too.
Definitely not trying to add fuel to this dumpster fire, but it's a fact that if you buy a 2020 Porsche Panamera 4 it will come equipped with a 3-liter V6 sourced from Audi.

Any time you have a giant conglomerate making different auto brands under one umbrella you're going to have some homogenization.

On a much sadder note, the new Panamera shares it's chassis with the lowly VW Arteon...
Well. The panamera is a Porsche, built by Porsche on their platform that it shares with other rear drive platforms - New body Bentley Continental and flying spur within the VW group none of which are Audi's or VW's bc all of Audi's and VW's except the R8 are front drive based, transverse engine architecture. The Arteon is NOT based on the panamera platform it's based on same platform as VW/Audi sedans. The V8 engines in the pano and SUV's are Porsche. The 911 doesn't share a chasis with any car in the VW group.

The SUV's are VW/Audi shared archecture and a big rift occurred bc Porsche didn't want to use Audi/VW transverse engine architecture. They ultimately lost and the suv platform is in fact Audi/VW and shared across the VW group. However as mentioned by Vic55 no one would mistake a RS Q8 for a Urus

The R8 shares ZERO with any other Audi architecture it's a Lambo platform and the R8 sells so poorly its being discontinued. It's the ONLY rear drive based car in Audi's lineup. All others are front drive transverse engine architecture and some add Quattro

VW/Audi share the most platforms and all Front drive transverse engines is why I don't like Audi's or how they drive
Attached Images

Last edited by LSM; 07-25-2020 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 3
Wolfman64811.50
stein_325i25083.00
Vic5519354.50
      07-25-2020, 04:18 PM   #29
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: lots

Ok this thread got derailed a little. I’ve had three Audi’s including an R8 and and S5 Cab. Liked them both very much.

Anyway, there is a big difference in Flagship cash between M8 and M8 Comp. The best I can do with a comp convertible is 15% off an MSRP just shy of $165,000. For a regular M8, they are 20% plus loyalty. Basically it’s $17,000 more for a non comp vs comp.

I like the car but I don’t love it. Still deciding what to do. I want the comp. if I don’t get it, I’ll still be spending a lot of $$ and will have FOMO because I don’t have the the better version.
Appreciate 2
Belugs318.00
      07-25-2020, 05:28 PM   #30
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 812Superfast View Post
Ok this thread got derailed a little. I’ve had three Audi’s including an R8 and and S5 Cab. Liked them both very much.

Anyway, there is a big difference in Flagship cash between M8 and M8 Comp. The best I can do with a comp convertible is 15% off an MSRP just shy of $165,000. For a regular M8, they are 20% plus loyalty. Basically it’s $17,000 more for a non comp vs comp.

I like the car but I don’t love it. Still deciding what to do. I want the comp. if I don’t get it, I’ll still be spending a lot of $$ and will have FOMO because I don’t have the the better version.
Is there really that big of a difference between comp and non comp that would give fomo?
      07-25-2020, 05:54 PM   #31
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Ok this thread got derailed a little. I've had three Audi's including an R8 and and S5 Cab. Liked them both very much.

Anyway, there is a big difference in Flagship cash between M8 and M8 Comp. The best I can do with a comp convertible is 15% off an MSRP just shy of $165,000. For a regular M8, they are 20% plus loyalty. Basically it's $17,000 more for a non comp vs comp.

I like the car but I don't love it. Still deciding what to do. I want the comp. if I don't get it, I'll still be spending a lot of $$ and will have FOMO because I don't have the the better version.
I noticed BMW of Dallas and BMW Encinitas which are both autonation dealers have a ton of inventory. With autonation being such a massive dealer they often are much more likely to discount. They have a ton of inventory. Also try Dan with next level auto brokers he usually gets some great deals.

Dan
Nextlevelautobrokers@gmail.com

201-429-7045
      07-25-2020, 06:10 PM   #32
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Is there really that big of a difference between comp and non comp that would give fomo?
Actually had to Google FOMO as it wasn't an acronym I'm familiar with. Between my first failed order for the 2020 M850i and when the 2nd one had barely initiated the M8 configurator (aka Build Your Own) went live on BMW NA's website. Thus, I spent the time to build out a M8 and M8C to my specs (loaded minus CCB and the Carbon Fiber exterior package). There was exactly a $10K difference between the two ($143K vs $153K) which for my needs I couldn't justify.

However, at the end of the day the $17K difference between the M850i build and the M8 I couldn't justify either given my needs and the fact I'd never track the car whatsoever. Wind the clock forward to 8 months since delivery of the 2020 M850i and I have absolutely zero FOMO but of course that is from my perspective and everyone else's mileage may vary.
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25083.00
soooma1377.50
      07-25-2020, 06:57 PM   #33
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Actually had to Google FOMO as it wasn't an acronym I'm familiar with. Between my first failed order for the 2020 M850i and when the 2nd one had barely initiated the M8 configurator (aka Build Your Own) went live on BMW NA's website. Thus, I spent the time to build out a M8 and M8C to my specs (loaded minus CCB and the Carbon Fiber exterior package). There was exactly a $10K difference between the two ($143K vs $153K) which for my needs I couldn't justify.

However, at the end of the day the $17K difference between the M850i build and the M8 I couldn't justify either given my needs and the fact I'd never track the car whatsoever. Wind the clock forward to 8 months since delivery of the 2020 M850i and I have absolutely zero FOMO but of course that is from my perspective and everyone else's mileage may vary.
I agree with bloozemanAZ and in fact went through a very similar valuation and calculations for my m850i.
In the end, having a car on the lot that was 90% of what I wanted versus having to wait and order something; I got the car off the lot.

The m850i is more than enough for 99% of the buyers that don't plan to track it.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      07-25-2020, 06:59 PM   #34
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok this thread got derailed a little. I've had three Audi's including an R8 and and S5 Cab. Liked them both very much.

Anyway, there is a big difference in Flagship cash between M8 and M8 Comp. The best I can do with a comp convertible is 15% off an MSRP just shy of $165,000. For a regular M8, they are 20% plus loyalty. Basically it's $17,000 more for a non comp vs comp.

I like the car but I don't love it. Still deciding what to do. I want the comp. if I don't get it, I'll still be spending a lot of $$ and will have FOMO because I don't have the the better version.
Personally I'd start with the regular m8. If you want the full track packages, wait a couple years and buy the competition m8comp., or something similar. But maybe start with a lease or short term plan on the m8.

Honestly the competition package doesn't offer that much more than what you can do with a custom exhaust and add on custom parts aftermarket too.
Buy the m8 and add to it if you like it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 12:12 AM   #35
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:

If leasing is the game, go for the car you want. Even if you don’t get 20% off on the comp, who cares. Few bucks more a month...

Last edited by Wolfman64; 07-26-2020 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2020, 12:18 AM   #36
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm a car guy and love powerful cars. Nothing in my current stable has less than a V8. I just bought my wife an X6 M50i and I like the power, sound and tech. One of my cars is a 2017 MB AMG C63s Cabriolet that has the 4.0l twin turbo and has a tune. It's a beast and it hisses (blow off valves installed), smokes the tires and pops and crackles on overrun. I was all set to replace it with an AMG GTC Roaster that I spec'd and ordered in October of 2019. Come late January, I find out that MB is ceasing MY20 at the end of January and I would not be getting my car. Lot's of calls and emails and AMG would NOT bend. They were building all dealer cars for stock and many of them are dying on the lot.

This has turned me off to AMG and with the arrival of the X6, I'm thinking that maybe the M8 will fit the bill. There is one that I found fairly close to me that has 90% of what I want. It seems that discounts on these are in the 20%+ range. I've also learned on here that there will be no MY2021 coupes or convertibles, I assume due to poor sales for various reasons. So I'm concerned that this might be a 2 year run and that's it which could make resale very hard.

So I'm on the fence as to what to do. One option is to wait to see what AMG does with the redesigned SL and GTC that is supposed to have a mild hybrid drive train.

Let me know your thoughts.
Returning to your OP, what's your goal and mission profile?
do you want to track it?
Do you just like big cars?
Do you want it for looks or flashy?
Are looking for launch mode style joy rides with the top down?
Is it your daily driver, do you have long commutes?

In a world of SUVs, it's going to become harder to find any coupes or convertibles. In a world with tighter European and US emissions standards and rules, it's going to become impossible to find anything close to v8, that isnt fully electric.
Do you want a Tesla or a Ferrari or both?

what's your goal for the car and how long do you plan to keep it, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 12:34 AM   #37
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Quote:
Also aren't you a BMW salesman? As a car dealer / salesman; shouldn't you be trying to sell BMW and not competition brands??

You're the worst salesman if you can't sell your own products.
You just opened your mouth and removed all doubt.....

Vic55 has a long term forum presence with multiple performance car experiences. That he shares freely without bias. He has been a huge help to me and many others. Experience is valuable.
Vic has been a help, but he doesn't share freely without bias. He clearly has an axe to grind.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 01:08 AM   #38
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Quote:

If leasing is the game, go for the car you want. Even if you don’t 20% off on the comp, who cares. Few bucks more a month...
That's one way to look at it, but if you're saving $20k to get regular; you can use that "savings" to buy a custom exhaust, ECU tune, piggyback chip, lowering springs, spacers, spoilers or anything else you might want or need.

Some of the stage 2&3 mods with ECU tunes with exhaust they have out now can turn an m850i into a bigger beast than a full m8 comp stock.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 02:22 AM   #39
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
Oh here we go---- the retired racist attorney who cries about depreciation. You really are a pathetic member; I dont know you and you surely dont know me so lets leave it at that. Go offer your services to some hit and run idiot.

I sleep just well at night.
Vic, ignore this jag-off. This clown might be the biggest douche (or asshole for the older crowd) on this forum with the exception of the drunk driver who killed 2 people in his M8.

Retired lawyer and is supposedly only like 40.....and now apparently former D1 athlete (fucking table tennis or water polo doesn't count)...Latino male, vehicular manslaughter pro bono lawyer to the stars. He has all the boxes checked.

This clown blocked me because he apparently is so threatened by the fact I call him out on his BS.

This guy likely lives in his parents' basement. I don't know of anyone with a college degree (let alone a retired attorney) who writes as poorly (in punctuation and usage).

Let's be honest.....this is the type of guy who brags to other that he drives the M850 and tells people it's better than the M8 because it's a higher number.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 1
Vic5519354.50
      07-26-2020, 02:25 AM   #40
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
At least I actually own an 8 series, unlike half these trolls that one day hope to dream to get a used one.
At least we own real M's......unlike half the trolls (no, actually just you) who are worried about depreciation on the M850i.

Didn't you pay MSRP in cash supposedly for your M850i? Yeah, that decision didn't age well.....hire a financial adviser or you will be broke in 5 years, bud.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 1
Vic5519354.50
      07-26-2020, 07:48 AM   #41
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: lots

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
At least we own real M's......unlike half the trolls (no, actually just you) who are worried about depreciation on the M850i.

Didn't you pay MSRP in cash supposedly for your M850i? Yeah, that decision didn't age well.....hire a financial adviser or you will be broke in 5 years, bud.
I plan on having the car 3-4 years. Looking for something to replace my C63s. Something that is faster and is a little bigger. It won’t be be a daily. It will be my go to car when the weather is nice and I don’t have to worry about where I’m going to park the Ferrari’s.

I thought the same thing on the M8 vs M8comp and price difference. I could buy an exhaust and tune and be right there with the Comp. I’m going to drive a regular M8 convertible next week to compare.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2020, 08:49 AM   #42
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I plan on having the car 3-4 years. Looking for something to replace my C63s. Something that is faster and is a little bigger. It won’t be be a daily. It will be my go to car when the weather is nice and I don’t have to worry about where I’m going to park the Ferrari’s.

I thought the same thing on the M8 vs M8comp and price difference. I could buy an exhaust and tune and be right there with the Comp. I’m going to drive a regular M8 convertible next week to compare.
The 8 is bigger on the outside but interior space is actually smaller/close to the 4-series. So it may not actually feel bigger when sitting in it.
      07-26-2020, 09:42 AM   #43
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

if it's just a nice weather toy and isn't going to the track, and it's a quick 3 year lease: get the m8 and use the "savings" from the comp. to modify the m8 with exhaust and tunes.
That's my suggestion and advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 03:53 PM   #44
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i, 2012 528i

Garage List
Quote:

Makes no sense for an M8 non comp version. Most people who buy the M8 want the comp otherwise they just get the M850 which is a bad ass car in its own rights...there should only be 3 versions of the 8 => 840i/d, M850 amd M8 Comp.
Appreciate 0