M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 Gran Coupe vs. GT 63s vs. F90 M5 race

06-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #45
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335i View Post
Quote:
I myself did this. In 2018 went looking at an M550, left with a CLS, my first Mercedes ever, and first time without a BMW in 20+ years, just wasn't satisfied with anything in the BMW lineup outside of the M2C at that time, and recently the wife just got a GLC for her daily. The competition is catching up and very competitive.
Yea is sucks that's BMW doesn't really care about what BMW used to be, but there is always other cars. Do you have the c257 cls?
If you talk to old heads, your 335i isn't what BMW's used to be either. So "what BMW's are supposed to be" is a rather fluid concept left up to interpretation. BMW's are closer to what they used to be than any of their competitors. We can still get an MT with BMW.
I would actually say Cadillac or Alfa is closer to what they use to be, but at least BMW still has the M2, although it will be one hell of a challenge for them to make the next gen of that car without hate, they hopefully won't ruin their halo car.
Cadillac, naw! Cadillac is trying to appeal to a segment that it can't really compete in. Cadillac's were never known as sporty cars until they launched the CTS-V to compete with the Germans. Even with the CTS-V, Cadillac was unable to ever really capture the market from the German's and part of that is the identity behind the brand.

Alfa's are okay, but I personally find it funny that people accept that owl beak of a front end, but lament BMW's new grille design language.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 06:50 PM   #46
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I myself did this. In 2018 went looking at an M550, left with a CLS, my first Mercedes ever, and first time without a BMW in 20+ years, just wasn't satisfied with anything in the BMW lineup outside of the M2C at that time, and recently the wife just got a GLC for her daily. The competition is catching up and very competitive.
Yea is sucks that's BMW doesn't really care about what BMW used to be, but there is always other cars. Do you have the c257 cls?
If you talk to old heads, your 335i isn't what BMW's used to be either. So "what BMW's are supposed to be" is a rather fluid concept left up to interpretation. BMW's are closer to what they used to be than any of their competitors. We can still get an MT with BMW.
I would actually say Cadillac or Alfa is closer to what they use to be, but at least BMW still has the M2, although it will be one hell of a challenge for them to make the next gen of that car without hate, they hopefully won't ruin their halo car.
Cadillac, naw! Cadillac is trying to appeal to a segment that it can't really compete in. Cadillac's were never known as sporty cars until they launched the CTS-V to compete with the Germans. Even with the CTS-V, Cadillac was unable to ever really capture the market from the German's and part of that is the identity behind the brand.

Alfa's are okay, but I personally find it funny that people accept that owl beak of a front end, but lament BMW's new grille design language.
I was speaking purely on driving dynamics, the Cadillac and Alfa feel closer to BMW's of old. Regarding design, quality, marketing and other aspects, that's a whole other conversation.
      06-16-2020, 06:57 PM   #47
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was speaking purely on driving dynamics, the Cadillac and Alfa feel closer to BMW's of old. Regarding design, quality, marketing and other aspects, that's a whole other conversation.
I suppose that's fair. I've never really liked how the Caddy's drove, but that's a moot point. It's all subjective.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 07:24 PM   #48
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
The cars are obviously visually modded--- do they talk about any performance mods by chance? The win's are not shocking but they do beat the GT63S by a decent amount. The GT63S does handle rather well for a bigger piggy (heavier than either of the M cars) but that was not tested here
If I am looking at the video correctly, the M5 runs 10.2, the M8 10.3 and the GT63s 11 in the quarter (3:18 in the video)

Those are not stock numbers on either BMW and more than downpipes and exhaust IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 09:05 PM   #49
FrankieNuo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' G80

Garage List
2023 Bmw M3  [8.36]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Automotive Enthusiast View Post
Quote:
...but people claim they'll leave to MB, so let them have at it.
At the price range, it's about total package. Straight line speed is a very small factor when purchasing any of those cars.* The usual owners will NEVER EVER do any kind of pull. Ever. Comfort will be the number one decision maker.

*Unless you're a very wealthy 20 or 30 something year old.
On that note I'll have the m5. Best package.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 09:40 PM   #50
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

I read the entire thread...and now have a headache.

Testing cars where some are stock and others aren't or not sure either way, makes no sense.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 3
      06-17-2020, 12:59 PM   #51
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Agree, nothing to learn from the results. Though it was great to see an M8 GC in a race!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 03:48 PM   #52
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
Agree, nothing to learn from the results. Though it was great to see an M8 GC in a race!
You need to follow me around for a while, you'll see many
Appreciate 1
Neptune71423.50
      06-17-2020, 03:49 PM   #53
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieNuo View Post
On that note I'll have the m5. Best package.
You're welcome to your incorrect opinion .

Having had both, I like the M8C GC a lot more but a HUGE chunk of that preference comes from its looks.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 05:38 AM   #54
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Nice video and the F90 M5 being tuned and having aftermarket down pipes doesn't make it a fair game in my honest opinion.

I currently have the F90 M5 Comp and considering to get the GT63S alongside the F90 M5 Comp. Will drive either car according to my mood. Both are really nice cars and are very different cars.

Would be nice to have both cars to swap according to different moods. Both are very nice cars in their own ways. So a mere drag race and who wins doesn't really matter that much to a potential buyer. It's the driving experience that matters. While much has been said about the driving experience for mercs, modern AMGs are vastly improved though from my personal experience with both cars, each has its own character and both are a Blast to drive! Cheers!
      06-19-2020, 09:25 PM   #55
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

Quote:
Haha since you mentioned 335i, I will say that my 335i was much better then most non m cars by far, and in some aspects better then some m's. But I had few m's and i I know what I am talking, they lost alot from how they used to feel, drive, and sound.
DocRace 6266 single turbo.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25059.00
      06-20-2020, 02:48 AM   #56
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Haha since you mentioned 335i, I will say that my 335i was much better then most non m cars by far, and in some aspects better then some m's. But I had few m's and i I know what I am talking, they lost alot from how they used to feel, drive, and sound.
We can agree to disagree. I've owned 8 M's (..out of 14 BMW's total) spread between the E46, E9X and F8X, and I don't find the cars to be lacking in enjoyment at all. Never once have I regretted moving up to the newer iteration.

...and sound? The only one universally deemed a good sounding M3 was the E9X. Every other M3 was criticized for the exhaust sound.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 11:24 AM   #57
jackaleyess
Lieutenant
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i M-sport (sold), 2018

Garage List
When a bunch of mafia driving luxury cars. They owned the road.