M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 Gran Coupe vs. GT 63s vs. F90 M5 race

06-16-2020, 01:59 PM   #23
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
...but people claim they'll leave to MB, so let them have at it.
And many will. It's not all about who's the fastest. 90% of people that own this cars don't even use it for what it's made. Plus MB lineup looks so much better, BMW got nothing that can even touch the Gtr.
We all have our opinions. Some of the MB's are nice. I wouldn't buy one, but they are nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 02:01 PM   #24
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
The cars are obviously visually modded--- do they talk about any performance mods by chance? The win's are not shocking but they do beat the GT63S by a decent amount. The GT63S does handle rather well for a bigger piggy (heavier than either of the M cars) but that was not tested here
M5 has downpipes & exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 02:03 PM   #25
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

Quote:
We all have our opinions. Some of the MB's are nice. I wouldn't buy one, but they are nice.
That's exactly what I say about BMW now days, except all BMW's are ugly now . Had 5 of them and never again will get one, unless they change there design. It's only MB or P-car.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      06-16-2020, 02:06 PM   #26
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's exactly what I say about BMW now days, except all BMW's are ugly now . Had 5 of them and never again will get one, unless they change there design. It's only MB or P-car.
Hopefully a P-Car GT variant.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 02:27 PM   #27
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Even if the BMWs lost, I still would have chosen them. This is just icing on the cake.
Sedan_Clan25022.00
      06-16-2020, 02:44 PM   #28
khailuan
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW IX40 Black Sapphire

That M5 Comp looks gorgeous ... until I saw that M8 Gran Coupe which looks effing amazing. Regardless, 3 very desirable cars there.
Appreciate 2
werdn656.00
jhbodle143.50
      06-16-2020, 03:01 PM   #29
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Don't remember the GT63S leaving such a deficit. In fact it's been a driver's race for a quarter mile in both Guram's and carwow's contests with the M5. Perhaps the cars aren't stock.
Appreciate 2
GGG333603.50
      06-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #30
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 GT3 Shark, ex E92 M3 ZCP

Anyone know the exhaust set up for the m5
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #31
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

I'd like to put M5 driver in Merc and repeat... i have 0 confidence on the Merc driver which i believe is a fine car. Its hard to imagine if it will lag more than a car length behind M8

also, nice surprise to see M5 COMP beat both handily everytime
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 03:34 PM   #32
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 SS/SO 2016 / X5M C 2023

The MB was disadvantaged because it has 2 GoPro on the roof, creating a lot of drag
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #33
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:
And many will. It's not all about who's the fastest. 90% of people that own this cars don't even use it for what it's made. Plus MB lineup looks so much better, BMW got nothing that can even touch the Gtr.
I myself did this. In 2018 went looking at an M550, left with a CLS, my first Mercedes ever, and first time without a BMW in 20+ years, just wasn't satisfied with anything in the BMW lineup outside of the M2C at that time, and recently the wife just got a GLC for her daily. The competition is catching up and very competitive.
      06-16-2020, 04:11 PM   #34
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
I realize that is the case much of the time, but the way these people complain about every aesthetic change you would think the concept of the "total package" has been lost. People tend to make knee jerk comments about going to XYZ manufacturer. I'm just merely ushering them along.

BMW has a real heritage of moulding drivers' excellence and even defining the game. They where pretty unique back then. I share the pain with others when we realise that BMW changed there path forward towards more turnover also by sacrificing many of the virtues they worked on for so long and so intens. BMW has more become just another brand and the gap is so narrow that jumping to an Audi or MB doesn't require that you throw your principles overboard. 25 years back I would have been driving the ugliest BMW but I would still be proud and feel privileged driving it. Detail nevertheless: 25 years back all new BMWs where considered gorgeous by +90% of the world.

I presume that because they changed brand strategy, we'll see more members ventilating that they consider alternatives. And we'll see arguments that can look stupig cfr. cup holders or other trivia. But, no big deal actually? That's what BMW also indirectly caused.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 04:12 PM   #35
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [8.33]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
M5 has downpipes, intake and exhaust

M8 is stock

Merc is stock as well

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #36
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Automotive Enthusiast View Post
Quote:
At the price range, it's about total package. Straight line speed is a very small factor when purchasing any of those cars. The usual owners will NEVER EVER do any kind of pull. Ever.
I realize that is the case much of the time, but the way these people complain about every aesthetic change you would think the concept of the "total package" has been lost. People tend to make knee jerk comments about going to XYZ manufacturer. I'm just merely ushering them along.
You know most people complaining usually can't afford the cars they complain about. Nothing wrong with that, but the way they complain it's as if they were going to buy it then changed their minds due to the new design lol.

Except for the G22. Don't want to go off topic but that car is universally accepted as ugly.

For the rest of the lineup it's definitely personal preference. I think the M8 and M5 generally look great inside and out, even with the minor design changes made to the LCIs.

Those are evolutionary designs though and that's what I prefer.

The merc looks great too but I prefer handling over straight line performance even though the Bimmers win both.

To be fair, at this price range, if you're looking for performance, you're going to look at Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc.

If you're looking for all around value, performance, comfort and luxury features, the M8 definitely takes the win over the Merc.
      06-16-2020, 05:06 PM   #37
MForSpeed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by am3r1ka View Post
Not sure if this was posted already, feel free to take down but here's a battle we've all be looking for.

The GT63 💩 just looks good, it has launch program, look at carwow 1 also
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 05:10 PM   #38
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Quote:

BMW has a real heritage of moulding drivers' excellence and even defining the game. They where pretty unique back then. I share the pain with others when we realise that BMW changed there path forward towards more turnover also by sacrificing many of the virtues they worked on for so long and so intens. BMW has more become just another brand and the gap is so narrow that jumping to an Audi or MB doesn't require that you throw your principles overboard. 25 years back I would have been driving the ugliest BMW but I would still be proud and feel privileged driving it. Detail nevertheless: 25 years back all new BMWs where considered gorgeous by +90% of the world.

I presume that because they changed brand strategy, we'll see more members ventilating that they consider alternatives. And we'll see arguments that can look stupig cfr. cup holders or other trivia. But, no big deal actually? That's what BMW also indirectly caused.
BMW is the only brand that kept some semblance of catering towards drivers (...still offering manuals and still offering cars that can be used at the track). MB ditched MT's. Audi ditched MT's. Both are heavier than the BMW equivalents. All of the brands began catering to the SUV market because not doing so almost certainly meant demise. All of the bullet points you mentioned in your post apply to the other brands as well. Hell, even Porsche had to cater to the SUV market if they had any hope of surviving. The only thing that saves a company like Porsche is their target market and sales volume isn't necessarily the purpose of that company. It never has been.
Appreciate 1
KoenG1428.50
      06-16-2020, 05:23 PM   #39
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
I myself did this. In 2018 went looking at an M550, left with a CLS, my first Mercedes ever, and first time without a BMW in 20+ years, just wasn't satisfied with anything in the BMW lineup outside of the M2C at that time, and recently the wife just got a GLC for her daily. The competition is catching up and very competitive.
Yea is sucks that's BMW doesn't really care about what BMW used to be, but there is always other cars. Do you have the c257 cls?
DocRace 6266 single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 05:25 PM   #40
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yea is sucks that's BMW doesn't really care about what BMW used to be, but there is always other cars. Do you have the c257 cls?
Yes, C257 CLS53, love it, will likely get another Merc again after the lease is over.
      06-16-2020, 05:58 PM   #41
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If you talk to old heads, your 335i isn't what BMW's used to be either. So "what BMW's are supposed to be" is a rather fluid concept left up to interpretation. BMW's are closer to what they used to be than any of their competitors. We can still get an MT with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #42
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
BMW is the only brand that kept some semblance of catering towards drivers (...still offering manuals and still offering cars that can be used at the track). MB ditched MT's. Audi ditched MT's. Both are heavier than the BMW equivalents. All of the brands began catering to the SUV market because not doing so almost certainly meant demise. All of the bullet points you mentioned in your post apply to the other brands as well. Hell, even Porsche had to cater to the SUV market if they had any hope of surviving. The only thing that saves a company like Porsche is their target market and sales volume isn't necessarily the purpose of that company. It never has been.
For me, MT is not at the least defining the DNA for BMW. I wouldn't see how actually? The MT BMWs I had were far inferior to the ones in the Hondas and Mazdas. It's an artefact from previous century and has become obsolete for so many years already. Their ZF 8HP makes the loss of the ineffective manual easy to bare... for me at least.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25022.00
      06-16-2020, 06:38 PM   #43
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Quote:
For me, MT is not at the least defining the DNA for BMW. I wouldn't see how actually? The MT BMWs I had were far inferior to the ones in the Hondas and Mazdas. It's an artefact from previous century and has become obsolete for so many years already. Their ZF 8HP makes the loss of the ineffective manual easy to bare... for me at least.
That's a fair perspective, but when you talk to someone that loves MT's they will feel the opposite. MT's aren't necessarily about the most efficient transmission, but more about tactile engagement, feedback and control. My point is that BMW hasn't abandoned the enthusiast.....at least not completely. They still offer something for everybody (...all while being lighter than the direct competitors). The same cannot he said for Mercedes or Audi.

Given all of the regulatory changes, BMW is still finding a way to cater to everybody on some level. While that window is narrowing rapidly, they are still the only manufacturer in their class doing it. I'm giving credit where credit is due.
Appreciate 1
KoenG1428.50
      06-16-2020, 06:44 PM   #44
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If you talk to old heads, your 335i isn't what BMW's used to be either. So "what BMW's are supposed to be" is a rather fluid concept left up to interpretation. BMW's are closer to what they used to be than any of their competitors. We can still get an MT with BMW.
I would actually say Cadillac or Alfa is closer to what they use to be, but at least BMW still has the M2, although it will be one hell of a challenge for them to make the next gen of that car without hate, they hopefully won't ruin their halo car.