M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Frozen paint restoration

05-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #1
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Frozen paint restoration

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
When I got the M8, the plan was to add paint protection film and ceramic coating on top. As a result of the situation we're now in, the shops I use were closed... so that was put on hold.

They're open now under controlled circumstances but, unfortunately, this M8 is a magnet for rock chips and has perhaps 7 varying in severity on the front splitter and two on the hood. To me, it's pointless putting PPF on top of crap paintwork so the repair has to come first.

Because of the frozen paint, I'm told the total repair cost will be between $2,000 and $2,500. Again, these are just chips nothing more but they're very very visible.

So, while I think I know all of the options available to me, I figured I'd ask here as a last-ditch effort and see if anyone has any magic suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      05-17-2020, 04:18 PM   #2
dougluo
Rep
Drives: f10

Sorry to hear that. I’m thinking of getting a frozen marina bay blue m8, have zero experience with matte faint so am really not sure I should go with it. May I should stick to metallic.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #3
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

You can touch them up using factory touch up with a fine artists brush layer by layer (it takes time) and a magnifying headset, but touch ups show more on a matte finishes. The reason the repair is so expensive is b/c you cannot blend in matte paint well, and the entire panel needs to be done.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
limeypride4423.50
      05-17-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
You can touch them up using factory touch up with a fine artists brush layer by layer (it takes time) and a magnifying headset, but touch ups show more on a matte finishes. The reason the repair is so expensive is b/c you cannot blend in matte paint well, and the entire panel needs to be done.
Thanks.

Sadly, BMW have no touch up paint for this color.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 04:42 PM   #5
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougluo View Post
Sorry to hear that. I'm thinking of getting a frozen marina bay blue m8, have zero experience with matte faint so am really not sure I should go with it. May I should stick to metallic.
Even with this PITA, I'd still recommend it. If you like it in the pics I've posted, you should see it in-person. I'm sure yours would look just as eye-catching.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 04:46 PM   #6
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Thanks.

Sadly, BMW have no touch up paint for this color.
Your dealerships bodyshop can mix up some paint for you, and if you're a patient, an uber detail oriented person, you can give it a shot as I described. The magnifying headset, lighting and right brushes are critical.

Last edited by RJC-1; 05-17-2020 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 04:56 PM   #7
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
PITA explained:
http://www.thebimmerpub.com/pdf/2013...tt%20Paint.pdf
Appreciate 2
limeypride4423.50
Ozzie8641.00
      05-17-2020, 05:32 PM   #8
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your dealerships bodyshop can mix up some paint for you, and if you're a patient, an uber detail oriented person, you can give it a shot as I described. The magnifying headset, lighting and right brushes are critical.
LOL. I wish. If it has a keyboard attached to it, I'm your man. Anything related to artistic talent, I don't merely come up short, I'm utterly barren; totally devoid of anything to contribute... I think sadly lacking is a fair but polite summary.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 05:45 PM   #9
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL. I wish. If it has a keyboard attached to it, I'm your man. Anything related to artistic talent, I don't merely come up short, I'm utterly barren; totally devoid of anything to contribute... I think sadly lacking is a fair but polite summary.
If you were in a 200 miles radius I'd gladly do it for you, but see you're in WA (I'm in FL).

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 05:48 PM   #10
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you were in a 200 miles radius I'd gladly do it for you, but see you're in WA (I'm in FL).
Why, thanks!

I lived in FL for 15 years or so; still have a house there. We'll move back one day...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 08:02 PM   #11
mgod
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m4 csl 992 turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougluo View Post
Sorry to hear that. I'm thinking of getting a frozen marina bay blue m8, have zero experience with matte faint so am really not sure I should go with it. May I should stick to metallic.
I got the frozen marina m8 I did a full PPF n ceramic happy I did but I got a couple dings regardless.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 09:17 PM   #12
jc16
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f90 m5 comp

the frozen paints do look amazing but I would am in the same situation with a frozen blue m8 and would highly recommend against it if are ocd on minor damages. better off putting on a satin wrap with glossy car
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 09:59 PM   #13
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
In reading BMWgirlFL's excellent article, it would seem you are destined for a respray. Having had a few chips and scrapes over the years (both self-inflicted and those from heartless cowards) the question is when to get it repaired?

Do you get it repaired immediately (your real pseudonym should be 'burstingM8pride') or do you wait? Wait until there is even more damage, which seems likely given the road conditions/driving speeds? Wait until you are near the end of the lease so you can maximize the resale value? Or wait because, well, there are lot of other family priorities right now?

I've spent seconds on your behalf thinking through this dilemma.

Book it in big boy.
Appreciate 1
BMWGirlFL6269.50
      05-17-2020, 10:13 PM   #14
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
In reading BMWgirlFL's excellent article, it would seem you are destined for a respray. Having had a few chips and scrapes over the years (both self-inflicted and those from heartless cowards) the question is when to get it repaired?

Do you get it repaired immediately (your real pseudonym should be 'burstingM8pride') or do you wait? Wait until there is even more damage, which seems likely given the road conditions/driving speeds? Wait until you are near the end of the lease so you can maximize the resale value? Or wait because, well, there are lot of other family priorities right now?

Book it in big boy.
lol

I use that "seconds" line all the time.

I'm already on top of it; shocker.

Last edited by limeypride; 05-17-2020 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      05-17-2020, 11:49 PM   #15
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Quote:

Book it in big boy.
lol

If you need an option - I know a guy who does frozen paint matching.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 02:00 AM   #16
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Book it in big boy.
lol

If you need an option - I know a guy who does frozen paint matching.
I'd love to give it a try. Can you hook me up, please?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 07:26 AM   #17
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i, 2012 528i

Garage List
Damn $2500? Do they have to repaint the whole car?

I think it depends on how long you plan on keeping the car. I read somewhere you keep your cars a year or so. If that's the case for this M8, I say u find a good shop that can mix the paint correctly and have them retouch it carefully scratch by scratch. If u r keeping it for up to 3 years, would u want to risk that on ur baby tho since u recently took delivery? I know I wouldn't. I keep my cars 3 years so I would just take the $2500 hit.

If u r willing to take the risk they won't mess things up to where the retouched areas are visible, then do it. With a pretty good auto shop tho, the risk should be quite low.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 11:11 AM   #18
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
I'd love to give it a try. Can you hook me up, please?
Sent you his info on e-mail.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4423.50
      05-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #19
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belugs View Post
Damn $2500? Do they have to repaint the whole car?

I think it depends on how long you plan on keeping the car. I read somewhere you keep your cars a year or so. If that's the case for this M8, I say u find a good shop that can mix the paint correctly and have them retouch it carefully scratch by scratch. If u r keeping it for up to 3 years, would u want to risk that on ur baby tho since u recently took delivery? I know I wouldn't. I keep my cars 3 years so I would just take the $2500 hit.

If u r willing to take the risk they won't mess things up to where the retouched areas are visible, then do it. With a pretty good auto shop tho, the risk should be quite low.
As I understand it, they plan to repaint the whole hood and front splitter setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 06:58 PM   #20
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
As I understand it, they plan to repaint the whole hood and front splitter setup.
I'm dealing with the same situation thanks to my bumper self-inflicted wound while trying to park as close to a parking garage retainer wall on the passenger side. The parking sensors on the M850i with iDrive 7 operate differently in 3D parking mode than my wife's X5 iDrive 6 solution (which I'm familiar with and had safely done dozens of times in the past).

One suggestion is to ask the detailer whom will be doing the PPF if they have a recommendation for the repairs. My detailer provided me a recommendation they send clients to for bumper, etc. work and his quote was $500 dollars to get the Tanzanite paint from his source and to blend the repair into the bumper vs fully painting it. I also took it to the dealer and their quote was $1K as they will ultimately paint the entire bumper. Not included in the quote but a potential $300 charge is to re-calibrate the cameras, etc. in the bumper if needed as they'll be removing it from the car.

Back to Ozzie's post I'm sitting on the fence for now as the car is already wrapped in PPF (it saved the damage on the bumper from being way worse than it would have been) on all the critical parts, i.e., entire front-end, A-pillars, mirrors, rockers, roof, etc. Once the COVID-19 concern is behind me I'm going to go with the recommendation from my detailer. If it is to my satisfaction then I pay my detailer to redo the PPF on the bumper. If not then I will have the dealer do their magic and then pay my detailer to redo the PPF on the bumper. Or I just wait until the lease return process and get it done at that point if I return the car vs buyout as without knowing what to look for it is not immediately noticeable.

I figure might as well go with the $500 option as my detailer uses the resource for everything from an Audi to a McLaren. If I'm not happy then I'll get the entire bumper repainted. Not losing any sleep over the potential $1800 all-in (including a failed $500 attempt) to get it fixed (not including the charge for the redo on the PPF). In a perfect world it will be resolved with the $500 work + the redo on the PPF.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 05-18-2020 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 07:23 PM   #21
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Thoughtful and considered! It's going to get some love. It is very hard to look at self inflicted body damage - I've always wanted to get it repaired fast to ease the guilt - and make it look beautiful again.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 07:26 PM   #22
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
https://youtu.be/fZUzvhhyGR8
Appreciate 0