M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Autobild Lap Times M8 Gran Coupe VS Taycan Turbo S

05-12-2020, 10:37 PM   #23
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlejoEvo View Post
The M8, I have wanted to see the driver exit the corners more aggressively, like the AWD car it is!
That would have made it even slower. The more you slide the slower you are.

Taycan has a major advantage with no gear changes and a low center of gravity. M8 is lighter. They’re both super heavy pigs anyway.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
paliknight2191.50
      05-13-2020, 01:04 PM   #24
AlejoEvo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlejoEvo View Post
The M8, I have wanted to see the driver exit the corners more aggressively, like the AWD car it is!
That would have made it even slower. The more you slide the slower you are.

Taycan has a major advantage with no gear changes and a low center of gravity. M8 is lighter. They’re both super heavy pigs anyway.
The M8 is a rear biased AWD, the front wheels traction helps to accelerate early when exiting the curves. Earlier acceleration equals more speed early on the straights. Maybe the car slides, but I hope it'll be a controlled slide.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 06:10 PM   #25
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post

You take the Taycan Turbo S and trade it in for an M8 and an X3.
True. LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 02:02 PM   #26
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
The Taycan is impressive IMO and I continue to be intrigued by the car.

Less interesting is the cost of these. I thought it might be helpful to look at what these cars cost and share here...

According to our Porsche dealer, virtually all Taycan models are leased where we live. Makes sense since nobody knows what these are worth a couple of years from now. It's a Gen.1 car...

Porsche uses MRM to set the residual limit, (median price of a spec'd car) anything over goes into lease payments.
MRM is actually pretty realistic at $213,500. At 15k/36, the residual is at 41%, MF .00310.

You get the $7500 tax discount as a cost reduction, so based where you live, tax-wise, the car will run about $4600 a month.

Getting the slower Taycan 4s has a higher 50% residual and will set you back over $2500 a month...

All this is pre-negotiation of course but according to them, none are sold below list as their waiting list exceeds their allocations for this year.

Even at a significant discount, the residual kills it for me. Even at ultra-low 5k miles a year, residual only goes up by 3%.

No question that the M5 is the performance bargain king but the M8 doesn't fare too bad either
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 04:08 PM   #27
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
The Taycan is impressive IMO and I continue to be intrigued by the car.

Less interesting is the cost of these. I thought it might be helpful to look at what these cars cost and share here...

According to our Porsche dealer, virtually all Taycan models are leased where we live. Makes sense since nobody knows what these are worth a couple of years from now. It's a Gen.1 car...

Porsche uses MRM to set the residual limit, (median price of a spec'd car) anything over goes into lease payments.
MRM is actually pretty realistic at $213,500. At 15k/36, the residual is at 41%, MF .00310.

You get the $7500 tax discount as a cost reduction, so based where you live, tax-wise, the car will run about $4600 a month.

Getting the slower Taycan 4s has a higher 50% residual and will set you back over $2500 a month...

All this is pre-negotiation of course but according to them, none are sold below list as their waiting list exceeds their allocations for this year.

Even at a significant discount, the residual kills it for me. Even at ultra-low 5k miles a year, residual only goes up by 3%.

No question that the M5 is the performance bargain king but the M8 doesn't fare too bad either
The M8 doesn't fare bad?!?!? Doesn't fare bad?!!!

You could literally have two highly-spec'd M8s for the price of one of those. In fact, fuck it--get an M5, an M8 and a used truck for garden work... you can use the money left over to get a new roof. OK, I'm exaggerating a little... but no by much.

Does leasing a Porsche really make sense? What is that... $165K in lease payments over 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 04:26 PM   #28
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
The M8 doesn't fare bad?!?!? Doesn't fare bad?!!!

You could literally have two highly-spec'd M8s for the price of one of those. In fact, fuck it--get an M5, an M8 and a used truck for garden work... you can use the money left over to get a new roof. OK, I'm exaggerating a little... but no by much.

Does leasing a Porsche really make sense? What is that... $165K in lease payments over 3 years.
Got you going there
I posted those numbers for that reason... Just how crazy different these cars are price-wise.

The Porsche is cool but a complete wild card. Purchase or lease, this will be nothing like a 911 and whoever gets one will burn through serious amounts of money for the privilege...

I can think of countless other cars to consider before the Taycan.
Appreciate 2
limeypride4423.50
stein_325i25059.00
      05-16-2020, 06:53 PM   #29
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
the car will run about $4600 a month.
I almost choked when I read this. Wowza. Sounds like a helluva deal (for Porsche).
Appreciate 0